• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Sermons

• Members

1. Due to my Bible being in 18 volumes, it's easier for me (in the long run) to outline my messages. My points are always at the beginning of a line, with the scriptures for said point written out after & indented two spaces on however many lines are needed to complete that point. That way, if/when I get in a hurry & need to see what my points are, or go to the next one, all I have to do is look at the beginning of lines!
2. There are times I use other men's outlines or thoughts, but I let the LORD (in the words of Evangelist Larry Raynes) "put the meat on the bones!"

Someone said I milk a lot of cows, but I churn my own butter.
I think we all use other mens' thoughts or outlines at times.

• Members

Someone said I milk a lot of cows, but I churn my own butter.
I think we all use other mens' thoughts or outlines at times.

Our pastor writes his rough draft and then he will sometimes check to see what a commentary or another preacher has said regarding the passage or a particular verse. After this, he may quote something from them or even flesh something out a bit differently. It's all part of the process.

• Members

These are all great comments and i see that everyone seem to agree that it is what works best for an individual as long as the Holy Spirit can work as He desires. I think it was Spurgeon that told his students that they need to be so open to the Holy Spirit that even as they step into the pulpit He should be able to change their message to what He desires.

What about extemporaneous preaching?

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I love doing it extemporaneously, but as I age I find those more senior moments coming more frequently. :) So I starting putting all my notes on a 3 X 5. Then my eyes started getting weaker, so I moved to a sheet of paper. Then I think dyslexikia and missspelinging affected me, so printed them out on the computer with spell check in use. By that time, I had to print it out in larger bold print.
Whatever works for each person. I think the key is adaptability. I do the best I can and leave it to God to do the rest.

• Moderators

W.A. Criswell wrote an excellent book several yrs ago entitled "Why I Preach without Notes". He was preaching 5-7 messages per week at the time. His main thrust was that if you are not familiar enough with your message to do that, you're not familiar enough with your message.

Rufus Bryant instructed many of us (many yrs ago) that if you are going to teach on a book (of the Bible), character or subject; read the material at least 7 times before picking up your pen. Be acquainted with the text before attempting to avoid putting your foot in your mouth (my words, not his).

I'm afraid we have let our microwave society affect us.

Edited by OLD fashioned

• Members

W.A. Criswell wrote an excellent book several yrs ago entitled "Why I Preach without Notes". He was preaching 5-7 messages per week at the time. His main thrust was that if you are not familiar enough with your message to do that, you're not familiar enough with your message.

Rufus Bryant instructed many of us (many yrs ago) that if you are going to teach on a book (of the Bible), character or subject; read the material at least 7 times before picking up your pen. Be acquainted with the text before attempting to avoid putting your foot in your mouth (my words, not his).

I'm afraid we have let our microwave society affect us.

Both of our pastors have talked about that "7 times" aspect before. I know they spend time reading and rereading, in prayer and in writing. Once they have their rough draft written, if they feel led to, they will then consult what some others have said on a particular verse or passage. Then they touch up their sermon, each pastor reads and gives feedback, then more prayer and the finishing touches.

Of course once it comes time to preach, they leave room for the Spirit to do things different.

• Moderators

Both of our pastors have talked about that "7 times" aspect before. I know they spend time reading and rereading, in prayer and in writing. Once they have their rough draft written, if they feel led to, they will then consult what some others have said on a particular verse or passage. Then they touch up their sermon, each pastor reads and gives feedback, then more prayer and the finishing touches.

Of course once it comes time to preach, they leave room for the Spirit to do things different.

Amen and Amen