• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Remember When?

irishman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Remember when only the "rich" families owned more than one car?

YES! My family had one vehicle until I was in late high school when he finally bought a truck.

We still only have one vehicle but its becoming a hardship, partly because we have more to do and partly because the minivan is so expensive in gas...we are praying about a second, smaller, better-on-gas care this year.

• Members

We lived 2 1/2 mil.es from a lake, and many mornings you would see a couple of us walking to the "fishing hole" with the old casting reels, and carrying a bucket for the fish. We would spend the day fishing, swimming, and just "goofing off". but i liked those old casting reels where you had to hold your thumb on the reel to keep from getting "backlash". We also spent a lot of time unreeling the line from backlash!

• Members

Ah the fishing hole, my grandparents on the farm outside Grain Valley MO. on Pink Hill Road, there were several ponds, one of my favorite things was to go out o grandpa and grandma's and get a fishing pole and drown worms. Learned to do some muskrat trapping too.

• Members

We lived 2 1/2 mil.es from a lake, and many mornings you would see a couple of us walking to the "fishing hole" with the old casting reels, and carrying a bucket for the fish. We would spend the day fishing, swimming, and just "goofing off". but i liked those old casting reels where you had to hold your thumb on the reel to keep from getting "backlash". We also spent a lot of time unreeling the line from backlash!

Nothing like trying to untangle a good backlash, while your friend is catching fish even!

I recall a quart of milk, 25 cents, half gallon, 50 cents. Coke, 5 cents.

My grandfathers store.

17centgasper1947.th.jpg

• Administrators

Right behind that store is where I grew up, looking up the hill to the left of those trees be exactly where I'm now setting. The trees are no longer there.

Ah, man - I think it's so great when folks can grow up and live in the same area! That's pretty much a thing of the past, too.

• Members

Speaking of milk bottle, they used to bring 12¢ at the local grocers while pop bottles were a nickle! Good old days, they were--gave us kids a little spending money! (To buy more fishing line after all the tangles!)

remember the pop bottle being 1 cent, going up to 2 cents, and so on. But I grew up in a county store, was waiting on customer by the time I was 6. I remember cigarettes being 18 cents per pack and most of the was unfiltered.

At the store we always had charger accounts, I remember embarrassing my mother very bad. the new candy bar had come out called the Payday. The candy man had just left. It so happened the 1st person that came in I hollered its "Pay--Day." Mother nearly killed me that day, everyone was embarrassed but me and I would not shut up about "Pay--Day."

The only other thing I will say about that is after he left mother got things across to me quite well and that cut out all of my fun with the new Payday candy bar. Yet I still remember the look on that mans face, and it was not a happy look either! uhm.gif

• Members

This is a picture taken across the highway from my drive way looking east towards the intersection where the old store set, taken in 2007. That picture of the old store was taken sometime in the 40's. I might add, in the old picture that is the 'new gravel highway' built sometime in the late 30's. The old dirt road was about 1/4 mile south of the 'new gravel highway.' I use the expression 'new gravel highway" for that was what the people that lived around here back in those days called it.

drivewaylookingeast.jpg

• Members

This is a picture taken across the highway from my drive way looking east towards the intersection where the old store set, taken in 2007. That picture of the old store was taken sometime in the 40's. I might add, in the old picture that is the 'new gravel highway' built sometime in the late 30's. The old dirt road was about 1/4 mile south of the 'new gravel highway.' I use the expression 'new gravel highway" for that was what the people that lived around here back in those days called it.

drivewaylookingeast.jpg

Looks like a long, lonely road to "Anywhere's Ville". Edited by irishman