• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Remember When?

irishman

• Members

I remember when, for 20-some cents a gallon, they would pump your gas for you, wash your windows, and make basic auto checks if you wanted them to.

(Now I'm paying over 3 dollars a gallon, have to pump the gas myself, wash my own windows (if they have the stuff there to wash it with) and do everything else myself too...including walking to where someone sits and waits for me to bring them my money!)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

And to think, today's attendants think they have it so hard. In yesterday years when the attendant got off work, they had really put in a day, most of the 10 hours or more.

I still remember buying diesel fuel between here and the west coast for under 20 cents a gallon, in fact I would pass up 20 cent fuel for 19 cent fuel.

Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

I used to wash dishes in one of those diners, and when someone said that they couldn't pay for their meal and wanted to wash dishes the owner would tell them ok but that I was the one that would be paying them. Since it was taking my job I could decide what to pay them. It was amazing how quick they could come up with the money when I told them hey would only get 50 cents and hour. That left me 50 cents.

• Members

Remember when there were little diners or cafe's, even in the little towns, rather than all the franchise fast food joints that ran most out of business?

Yes, back them you could get a sure enough good hamburger. Most fast food joints of today do not know what a good hamburger is. Of course good hamburger was easy to come by in those days, and not today.

I know of one place that has been gone for quite sometime, the owner, a woman, never let anyone leave hungry. The community had utmost respect for her and her place. Few place left like that.

• Members

Yes, back them you could get a sure enough good hamburger. Most fast food joints of today do not know what a good hamburger is. Of course good hamburger was easy to come by in those days, and not today.

I know of one place that has been gone for quite sometime, the owner, a woman, never let anyone leave hungry. The community had utmost respect for her and her place. Few place left like that.

One got their money's worth back then and the food was basically homecooked; none of that prepackaged stuff sent in from a warehouse and reheated like in the fast food places.

I remember one particular place had the best brown gravy and you knew those were real taters under that gravy too! Oh, and that ladies fried chicken was excellent!!! Much better than McDonalds or KFC!

• Members

I remember when Dad would be able to take us through the McD's drive through and get everyone an ice cream cone for .49 cents each or something like that.

Gramma used to buy me Barnum's Animal Crackers (The little red zoo box) for .25 or so (they cost well over $1 now, for the same little bitty box!).

• Members

The "fast food" diners were A&W back then, and they would actually bring your food out on a tray, and hook it to the window. All the guys would park along one side and watch the hot rods go through. It was a aplace to show of your "wheels".

I remember that and those frosty mugs of root beer! I also remember the last one in the area that managed to hang on longer than the rest...was sad to see it finally close.

• Members

If I remember right they made their own root beer right there. Man it was something special when dad said, "We're going to A&W." Then sitting in the back seat watching the girl skate up and take our order. Then after she rolloed away dad would roll the window up a couple of inches as we wanted for her to bring a tray back that hooked to the window.

• Members

If I remember right they made their own root beer right there. Man it was something special when dad said, "We're going to A&W." Then sitting in the back seat watching the girl skate up and take our order. Then after she rolloed away dad would roll the window up a couple of inches as we wanted for her to bring a tray back that hooked to the window.

I always thought that was so cool how the tray hung on the window! It also amazed me those girls could skate and carry those trays at the same time.

• Members

Sonic is trying the skating thing and now it you want A&W at least Here in NM, you have to go to a Long John Silvers, "Hey matey, you want a mug of root beer?"

There is only one Sonic within reasonable driving distance and they don't do the skates. They said it's up to each individual franchise whether they do that or not. Ironically, that Sonic is located where the last drive-up A&W was located all those years ago.

There is a little A&W in a gast station mini-mart near here, and another in with Long John Silver.