• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

One Foot in MD and One Foot in VA for the Moment!

• Members

I've been looking for an online community where I can learn and understand more about the Bible and where I can fellowship with other Christians. I'm getting ready to retire and my primary goal is to make my life more Christ-centered. Life is so noisy and so hectic it's a real struggle for me to keep my eyes and thoughts on Him. I can't find a Baptist church in Maryland that seems to be a good fit and since I will be spending most of my time in Virginia after I retire in June I have been looking around down there. Most of my Bible education is through sermons I've gathered online. I listen to Alistair Begg, Charles Stanley and J. Vernon McGee. These are the ministers I seem to learn the most from. I accepted Christ and was baptized in a conservative Baptist church in 1998. I believe all of the Bible is true, that we can't pick and choose what we believe from within it. I believe that, even though it's been translated into the KJV that God, through the Holy Spirit, will be sure it's message is intact for me when I study it. All the newer translations of the Bible make me uncomfortable. I do occasionally use one of the American Standard versions to read a phrase or two to give me some idea of passages I am not understanding in the KJV.

I have a grown son who is married with two children. I am married to a man whom I love very much. He has a mixed bag of closely-held beliefs plucked mainly from American Indians and the Spiritualist Church. He was raised attending the Spiritualist church -- a very scary “religion” to me. He hasn’t been active in a church since shortly before we married in 1995 and thinks that all churches and ministers are crooks and charlatans at this point and can’t be trusted. Well, that’s me in a nutshell!

Thanks for the help! I'll be in Gordonsville which is very near Charlottesville, VA.

Umm...very liberal college in Charlottesville. I regret not knowing of a good church near there. If you have an opportunity to head over to the beach you need to visit Tabernacle Baptist on North Whitehurst Landing Rd. a very good IFB church.