• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Student Loans

• Members

Hey, if anybody would like to help me out on this fight I'm facing, please intervene.

I am wanting to move a few hours away from where I live and go to college to obtain my Bachelors, possibly Masters, in Criminology. The college is Missouri State University, and its located in Springfield, MO. There is a branch of MSU IN West Plains, where I live, but only offers the General Education requirements. Well, If I moved to Springfield in the next couple years, after finishing my Generals, I would be going 2-4 more years in a city where I would have to support myself 100%. My family cannot help me, and I am not eligible for scholarships. So, besides the $5,000/year in Grants, I would have to pay for gas, food, tuition, apartment, etc... by myself. So, my question comes in about Student Loans....... What do you think about them? I would be having to borrow 20k-35k (depending on what degree I go for [bachelors or Masters]). Tuition is about $300 per credit hour for undergraduate, about $400 per credit hour for graduate (I believe) and apartments would run about $7,500 for a full year. Please keep in mind that the student loans that I would take out would be used for my Apartment expense and to supplement my Tuition (what grants wont cover). I really want to get a good education and to something that I want to do, and also enable myself to support a family someday, but I dont know about the student loans. I understand that I can work out a payment plan and re-pay it over 10 or 15 years, but is it really a wise decision?

Please give me your honest opinion..

---Shaun

• Members

Seeing as 80 to 85% of college graduates do not end up working in the field that their degree is in, I'd recommend you do the first two years at a community college in the state of the college you'd like to get your B.S./B.A. Community colleges are far less expensive and typically if you attend one in the same state as the four year school they allow 100% credit transfers. Also, consider getting your four year degree, then going to work full-time with an employer who provides tuition reimbursement and then work on your Masters while working.

Stay away from student loans if you can help it. You don't want to start out your life owing 100K, which will weigh heavily on any of your future goals and plans. Work your way through school and pay as you go.......

Just my opinion.

• Members

Seeing as 80 to 85% of college graduates do not end up working in the field that their degree is in, I'd recommend you do the first two years at a community college in the state of the college you'd like to get your B.S./B.A. Community colleges are far less expensive and typically if you attend one in the same state as the four year school they allow 100% credit transfers. Also, consider getting your four year degree, then going to work full-time with an employer who provides tuition reimbursement and then work on your Masters while working.

Stay away from student loans if you can help it. You don't want to start out your life owing 100K, which will weigh heavily on any of your future goals and plans. Work your way through school and pay as you go.......

Just my opinion.

Yes, I will receive my AA in General Ed while living at home. But, even going 2 more years in another town, having about 10k per year in expenses will be about 20k for two years (of course lol). I "may" be able to find an employer who would reimburse my tuition, but thats not a guarantee. Do you think that 20k would be an unmanageable amount of debt? Of course its a lot of money, but I have had my advisor tell me that its nearly impossible to not take out a student loan and living on your own. I would work some, but I do not learn as fast as others, therefore require more time studying. I am thinking the same think you are... Going to get my bachelors, start working, thennnn work on the Masters. I am very sure that I want to work in the field of Criminology or Social Work. :D

• Members

Yes, I will receive my AA in General Ed while living at home. But, even going 2 more years in another town, having about 10k per year in expenses will be about 20k for two years (of course lol). I "may" be able to find an employer who would reimburse my tuition, but thats not a guarantee. Do you think that 20k would be an unmanageable amount of debt? Of course its a lot of money, but I have had my advisor tell me that its nearly impossible to not take out a student loan and living on your own. I would work some, but I do not learn as fast as others, therefore require more time studying. I am thinking the same think you are... Going to get my bachelors, start working, thennnn work on the Masters. I am very sure that I want to work in the field of Criminology or Social Work. :D

Social Work pays right at minimum wage (just in case you didn't realize). If you look in the help wanted, you will see ads for people with Master's degrees and they are only offering them 29K to 35K per year. You may want to go with criminology! Besides, if you are a born-again Christian, doing social work is going to vex your righteous soul.....for various reasons.

• Members

Social Work pays right at minimum wage (just in case you didn't realize). If you look in the help wanted, you will see ads for people with Master's degrees and they are only offering them 29K to 35K per year. You may want to go with criminology! Besides, if you are a born-again Christian, doing social work is going to vex your righteous soul.....for various reasons.

I had thought about that, actually. And I didn't think social work was wrong (although i thank you for pointing that out). I thought stuff like psychology and anthropology was against the bible. I will take those words and use them and I appreciate you for pointing that out. I didn't realize that Social Work got into the worldly side of things.

• Administrators

I think trc has given some good advice. Especially in light of the economy today.

Have you thought about the possibility of working for a year after your Bachelor's before you head out to get your Master's? I know that a year won't pay everything, but it could help.

There's another option that many won't consider a good idea, but if you were to join the National Guard, they would help...

• Members

I had thought about that, actually. And I didn't think social work was wrong (although i thank you for pointing that out). I thought stuff like psychology and anthropology was against the bible. I will take those words and use them and I appreciate you for pointing that out. I didn't realize that Social Work got into the worldly side of things.

Yes, most have not thought about what a Social Worker has to do when working with people. Most "social work" is done for a government (local, state or federal) or a non-profit. Almost all of them now have rules that would preclude most of the things you as a Christian would be allowed to say to the person you are working with. For example, how would you feel about counseling a pregnant teen that one of her options is abortion? That may very well be a requirement depending on the entity for whom you are doing the social work.

• Members

Yes, most have not thought about what a Social Worker has to do when working with people. Most "social work" is done for a government (local, state or federal) or a non-profit. Almost all of them now have rules that would preclude most of the things you as a Christian would be allowed to say to the person you are working with. For example, how would you feel about counseling a pregnant teen that one of her options is abortion? That may very well be a requirement depending on the entity for whom you are doing the social work.

That is very true! Thank you, Thank you! :D