• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

New Name for IFBs

trc123

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was looking over the names of many IFB churches and noticed that most I looked at don't call themselves IFB in their church name and most didn't have anything about being IFB on their church sign either.

There sure are a lot of Calvary Baptist and Bible Baptist IFB churches out there!

• Members

"Jesus' Churches", if we're talking about local New Testament churches, have gone by several names throughout history. Ana-Baptist, Baptist, Independent Baptist, etc. My church goes by the title of Independent Baptist, but under the heading it says "A Bible Believing Church".

Many Independent Baptist pastors are not, which would lead me to believe their congregations are not either. Titles are good to clarify things, but when people within that group start to stink it up there's nothing wrong with re-defining things.

Yes, Jesus' true churches have gone by several different names, and many of those names was given to them by their enemies, it was not names they put on their self.

The name Ana-Baptist is a very good example of that, they were given that name because they would not accept the baptizing of the false churches during their days, and anyone making a profession of faith, and wanting to become members of their churches had to submit to being scriptural baptized. I might add, them not accepting the baptizing of the false churches caused the false churches to hate and persecute them. Plus its quite easy to see where the name Baptist come from.

The name Independent and fundamentalist seems to have been a name they put on their self.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I truly think a new name is needed, given our culture and how so far it is removed from Biblical truth...and continues to do so.  A name such as Baptist deals with history and doctrine, while independent suggests a lack of affiliation with a particular group (in theory at least).  But for the label "fundamental," what does this indicate?  It begs the question, "What are the 'fundamentals?'"  Let me suggest either "Biblicist" or "Foundationalist" which is a term that would indicate a slightly different take on "fundamental."  God's Word states:  "If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?"  As we see foundations crumbling all around us, we must work to restore those foundations by bringing people to the bedrock foundation for all that Christians believe:  creation.  That is how God began His Word, and that foundational issue is key to the rest.  When people do not perceive how God is and how He relates to all of His creation, most importantly how He relates to mankind, we can and will be incorrect on everything else in His revelation.  Creation is the "Master's Key" that unlocks every "door" of God's perspective on every issue that we face in life.  There must needs be a group rise up like unto the men of Issachar in the Old Testament who have "understanding of the times" in which we live, and who are willing to take the necessary steps to make a greater impact upon this culture.  If changing to a new name will divert from confusion and bring one to more of a Biblical viewpoint, I am willing.  That is the very least we ought to be willing to do.

• Members

http://nation.foxnews.com/justice/2011/01/07/westboro-protesters-overwhelmed-100-patriots

Maybe we need to become Patriot Baptist

Notice the pic was more of the biker types than real Americans. ( I was scooter trash at one time myself)

Excuse my ignorance, but why would anyone want to picket a funeral?

• Members

I truly think a new name is needed, given our culture and how so far it is removed from Biblical truth...and continues to do so.  A name such as Baptist deals with history and doctrine, while independent suggests a lack of affiliation with a particular group (in theory at least).  But for the label "fundamental," what does this indicate?  It begs the question, "What are the 'fundamentals?'"  Let me suggest either "Biblicist" or "Foundationalist" which is a term that would indicate a slightly different take on "fundamental."  God's Word states:  "If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?"  As we see foundations crumbling all around us, we must work to restore those foundations by bringing people to the bedrock foundation for all that Christians believe:  creation.  That is how God began His Word, and that foundational issue is key to the rest.  When people do not perceive how God is and how He relates to all of His creation, most importantly how He relates to mankind, we can and will be incorrect on everything else in His revelation.  Creation is the "Master's Key" that unlocks every "door" of God's perspective on every issue that we face in life.  There must needs be a group rise up like unto the men of Issachar in the Old Testament who have "understanding of the times" in which we live, and who are willing to take the necessary steps to make a greater impact upon this culture.  If changing to a new name will divert from confusion and bring one to more of a Biblical viewpoint, I am willing.  That is the very least we ought to be willing to do.

I like that name; ''foundationalist''. It's very Biblical  But even in a day when every ungodly country/western star, and every rotten televangelist calls himself a "Christian" that is no reason not to settle simply for that designation. Because the one simple, common denominator with the power to set the real meaning of the name "Christian" apart from this world is that we love one another. This is the "Spirit" Jesus meant when he met the woman of Samaria at the well when He said "in spirit and in truth". It's essential to be "Berean Christian" and to be foundational or ."fundamental" in our "truth" but there must also be the "spirit" of 1 John chapter 3, to really set apart the "men from the boys" . When "Truth" and "spirit" work together, it's very powerful.

Psalm 133

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

2It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments;

3As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.

• Moderators

for the sake of the conversaton, most already knowing my position, a term I could go with is "foundational". I had thought about renaming my church "Foundation Baptist Church". Also we could still be IFB. Another might be "Pillar and Ground Baptist", referring to the church being the house of God, the pillar and ground of the truth. "I am a PGB"

But generally I still don't see a reason to change.

• Members

Right. Just because a Catholic baptizes, there is no need for us to stop.

A Baptist is a Baptist is a Baptist...

By the way, just key in IFB in your search engine and see the plethora if IFB's.

It's hilarious!

• Interruptible foldback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interruptible_foldback
    •  
    •  
    Wikipedia

Interruptible foldback, also known as interruptible feedback, interrupted feedback, and interrupted foldback, abbreviated IFB, is a monitoring and cueing system  ...
  • Independent Fashion Bloggers
    heartIFB.com/
    •  
    •  

an online community of fashion bloggers and the ultimate resource for fashion blogger to learn about blogging, media kits, fashion, photography and marketing.
    ‎Blogging Tips - ‎8 tips that really build your traffic - ‎Business of Blogging - ‎Members
  • IFB-Leading Internet Service Provider for Aberdeen and ...
    www.IFB.net/
    •  
    •  

Get on. Stay on. Connecting, Protecting, Securing your business and its data. At IFB, we ensure every day is a working day. GigUp Aberdeen. Cloud Services.
  • International Festival for Business 2014
    www.IFB2014.com/
    •  
    •  

IFB BUSINESS CLUB REGISTER HERE > FREE MEMBERSHIP. 4 ... IFB News. IFB2014's success guarantees a re-run in 2016. IFB 2014 SUCCESS
  • IFB Appliances: Online Store | Best Home & Kitchen ...
    www.IFBappliances.com/
    •  
    •  

Welcome to IFB appliances. Arguably some of the best home appliances in India. Explore our range of products for your kitchen, laundry and living.
  • IFB: Intermodal operator with international network
    www.interferryboats.be/
    •  
    •  

IFB provides integrated, intermodal transport solutions by rail and barge across Europe.IFB provides integrated, intermodal transport solutions by rail and barge ...
  • Institute for Family Business
    www.IFB.org.uk/
    •  
    •  

Tel: 020 7630 6250 Email: info@IFB.org.uk · Home · About Us · Representation · Join · Forum · Research Foundation · IFB Direct. Member log in. Please complete ...
  • IFB Industries Ltd.
    www.IFBindustries.com/
    •  
    •  

IFB Industries Limited originally known as Indian Fine Blanks Limited started their operations in India during 1974 in collaboration with Hienrich Schmid AG of ...

• Moderators

Excuse my ignorance, but why would anyone want to picket a funeral?

Because they're Westboro Baptist - they are a family sect that makes their money off of lawsuits and love to tell the world that God hates them all. Basically they're wackos who give all IFBs a bad name.

• Moderators

Because they're Westboro Baptist - they are a family sect that makes their money off of lawsuits and love to tell the world that God hates them all. Basically they're wackos who give all IFBs a bad name.

Oh joy, just found out Westboro is coming to our town this month to boycott a Charismatic church here.

And just last month I was telling a preacher that it's been a long quiet spell.

Archived