• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

New Name for IFBs

trc123

• Members

With many years of the word "fundamentalism" or "fundamentalist" bearing a very negative connotation due to extremist muslims and christian sects like Westboro Baptist, has the use of the word "Fundamental" out lived its usefulness as an effective way of letting others know that Independent Fundamental Baptists are simply those believers and followers of the Lord Jesus Christ that hold to rudimentary and fundamental teachings of God's Word?

Seeing as the use of the word "fundamental" is not in the KJV and was not used with much frequency until the movement came along in the USA back in the 1920' to 1930's (G.B. Vick, J Frank Norris, etc.); why should current Bible believing, separated Christians continue to use the word?

What would be a more effective word to use by today's Independent Baptists to convey the same meaning, without using it?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think "Independent Baptist" should be fine...because "Independent" is just that....not associated with anyone else.

Fundamentalism is definitely getting a bad name...for many reasons.

• Members

I think "Independent Baptist" should be fine...because "Independent" is just that....not associated with anyone else.

Fundamentalism is definitely getting a bad name...for many reasons.

Good points.

We are reaching the point where it really doesn't matter what name a church goes by, one must do some close examining in order to determine just where they stand.

The attempt has been underway for years now to associate "fundamentalist" Muslims (you know, the "bad ones", as opposed to all those other 'religion of peace' sorts :icon_rolleyes: ), "fundamentalist" Mormons (the ones who practice currently illegal polygamy and marrying of young girls), with fundamentalist Christians (those really scary folks who actually take the Bible seriously and want to live by it!). Thanks to the mainstream media and liberal Christians, fundamentalists Christians are viewed by many as anything from odd or spooky to dangerous.

Sadly, the IFB churches in this area have gone the way of the world. Thankfully, most changed their name in the process, but a few still call themselves IFB though they no longer practice separation, they embrace worldly music, lowered or dropped modesty standards, replaced the KJB with some MV.

• Members

No matter what term you come up to explain fundamentalist it will always be turned into a negative meaning by the media.

yes, it really doesn't matter. We might use it among ourselves in a reference to where we stand, but once the media and the world in general get hold of it, no name will be considered "honorable"

• Administrators

I'm sticking with my guns for "separated" :makmiday:

Seems like separation is a thing of the past in Independent Baptist Churches. Anyways, I really do not think the name is a big deal, I think our reputation with the lost in our community is the bigger deal at hand.

• Members

I'm sticking with my guns for "separated" :makmiday:

Seems like separation is a thing of the past in Independent Baptist Churches. Anyways, I really do not think the name is a big deal, I think our reputation with the lost in our community is the bigger deal at hand.

Very good and true, but our reputation has been further tarnished by the continual association of "fundamentalist" with those who are evil and dangerous. For some, simply hearing that word causes their defenses to go up and their ears to close to us.

However, for those in our community who we interact, they should be able to see Christ in us and know that at least when it comes to us, the evil associated with "fundamentalist" doesn't describe us.

• Members

Very good and true, but our reputation has been further tarnished by the continual association of "fundamentalist" with those who are evil and dangerous. For some, simply hearing that word causes their defenses to go up and their ears to close to us.

However, for those in our community who we interact, they should be able to see Christ in us and know that at least when it comes to us, the evil associated with "fundamentalist" doesn't describe us.

That is why when I dealing with those outside the church or our circle I tell them "I a Baptist just a plain Baptist."

BroMatt your right about the separation.

• Members

I have no problems calling myself an Independent Fundamental Separatist Baptist. Just calling yourself a Christian will get some people to hate you. We need to stop worrying so much what others think and more about what God thinks. Otherwise you'll end up like one of those many Baptist churches that take Baptist out of their name so they don't "offend".

• Administrators

I'm sure it is different in certain areas of the country, but the people in my city do not categorize us by the label 'Fundamentalist", they more know us by what they have seen from our members. It is like the saying goes, actions speak louder than words. Our community is watching our actions not what we call ourself. If we throw out fundamental, why are we keeping Baptist?

Archived