• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bro Jim

Would You ?

Lottery Money  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should your Church accept lottery money?

2. 2. Should Christians play the lottery?

It seems that,when it comes to money, it is easy to compromise. is the Lord meeting our needs? if so, the rest is fluff. We too often depend on the almighty dollar, and less on the Almighty God. if something is purchased, or built on lottery money, then the world owns it, not us; it was their schemes that purchased it. We try to give God the glory, and say that it is a blessing from him, but we know, deep in our hearts that the motive is greed and influence. I voted "no" on both accounts.

It seems that,when it comes to money, it is easy to compromise. is the Lord meeting our needs? if so, the rest is fluff. We too often depend on the almighty dollar, and less on the Almighty God. if something is purchased, or built on lottery money, then the world owns it, not us; it was their schemes that purchased it. We try to give God the glory, and say that it is a blessing from him, but we know, deep in our hearts that the motive is greed and influence. I voted "no" on both accounts.

The motive is not always greed. I left out an important bit of information about the lottery ticket that was given to me where I won $2,000 dollars. I will share it now.

$1,000 dollars of that money went to a friend who had need for the money in his business.
$600 dollars of that money. I used to buy a refridgerator and oven for my sister because hers were both shot.
Yes, I did spend the remaining $400 on myself, but that which it was used for was $165 lot rent, $80 electric, $57 on my quarterly water bill and the rest on groceries. I do not believe I was greedy with the winnings at all.

Nor can it be said one who gives another a lottery ticket is greedy when that one did not purchase the ticket for the purpose of himself getting rich, as my friend had done for me. To purchas a lottery ticket for another person is not showing greed. It is a gift. To receive a gift in the form of a lottery ticket is not greed.either.

I believe gaining an income by gambling of any sort comes under the heading of "filthy lucre", and the scriptural principle is that the church should stay well clear of it.

1 Samuel 8:3 And his sons walked n
ot
in his ways, but turned aside after lucre, and took bribes, and perverted judgme
nt

1 Tim
ot
hy 3:3 N
ot
given to wine, no striker, n
ot
greedy of filthy lucre; but patie
nt
, n
ot
a brawler, n
ot
covetous;

1 Tim
ot
hy 3:8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, n
ot
doubletongued, n
ot
given to much wine, n
ot
greedy of filthy lucre;

Titus 1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; n
ot
selfwilled, n
ot
soon angry, n
ot
given to wine, no striker, n
ot
given to filthy lucre;

1 Peter 5:2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, n
ot
by constrai
nt
, but willingly; n
ot
for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;

Websters 1828 Dictionary definition:
LU'CRE, n. lu'ker. [L. lucrum.] Gain in money or goods; profit; usually in an ill sense, or with the sense of something base or unworthy.

Of course, one plays the lottery, gambles, because of covetous, they want, yet they do not want to earn it by the sweat of their brow. And any income from sin is blood money. Of course I don't expect every professing Christine to agree with that. And we know there be ways that seems right to man, yet its not God's way.

amen.gif

Greed, covetous, gets the best of many, and it blinds them, even to seeing their own greed, covetous.

Lu 16:14 And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him.

1Co 5:10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.

1Co 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

1Co 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Gambling was practiced to determine which of two goats would be sacrificial and which would be a scapegoat. Joshua was never condemned for gambling, and he gambled before the Lord, Nor was Nehemiah, Nor were the Apostles.

This argument CANNOT be used to justify gambling.

The "casting of lots" in scripture was NOT gambling. It was done "before the Lord" to find out God's will on a matter, and it was NEVER done for financial gain.

Easton's Bible Dictionary

The lot was always resorted to by the Hebrews with strictest reference to the interposition of God, and as a method of ascertaining the divine will (Pr 16:33), and in serious cases of doubt (Es 3:7). Thus the lot was used at the division of the land of Canaan among the serveral tribes (Nu 26:55; 34:13), at the detection of Achan (Jos 7:14,18), the election of Saul to be king (1Sa 10:20-21), the distribution of the priestly offices of the temple service (1Ch 24:3,5,19; Lu 1:9), and over the two goats at the feast of Atonement (Le 16:8). Matthias, who was "numbered with the eleven" (Ac 1:24-26), was chosen by lot.

This argument CANNOT be used to justify gambling.

The "casting of lots" in scripture was NOT gambling. It was done "before the Lord" to find out God's will on a matter, and it was NEVER done for financial gain.

Easton's Bible Dictionary

The lot was always resorted to by the Hebrews with strictest reference to the interposition of God, and as a method of ascertaining the divine will (Pr 16:33), and in serious cases of doubt (Es 3:7). Thus the lot was used at the division of the land of Canaan among the serveral tribes (Nu 26:55; 34:13), at the detection of Achan (Jos 7:14,18), the election of Saul to be king (1Sa 10:20-21), the distribution of the priestly offices of the temple service (1Ch 24:3,5,19; Lu 1:9), and over the two goats at the feast of Atonement (Le 16:8). Matthias, who was "numbered with the eleven" (Ac 1:24-26), was chosen by lot.

The "Lot" then showed that the Lord was in control, and not "chance" which falls to all men. If we rely on chance, we are relying on luck--the "luck of the draw". Luck is not faith, the lot is.

I wonder if Ananias and Sapphira won the lottery, and decided to keep a Little back for a "rainy day"?