• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Covenanter

Why was Jesus baptized?

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and [with] fire:
12 Whose fan [is] in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.
13 ¶ Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer [it to be so] now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

Mar 1:8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.
9 ¶ And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in Jordan.
10 And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:
11 And there came a voice from heaven, [saying], Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Luk 3:21 ¶ Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened,
22 And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.
23 ¶ And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age,

Jhn 1:19 ¶ And this is the record of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, Who art thou?
20 And he confessed, and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ.
21 And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, No.
22 Then said they unto him, Who art thou? that we may give an answer to them that sent us. What sayest thou of thyself?
23 He said, I [am] the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias.
24 And they which were sent were of the Pharisees.
25 And they asked him, and said unto him, Why baptizest thou then, if thou be not that Christ, nor Elias, neither that prophet?
26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not;
27 He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose.
28 These things were done in Bethabara beyond Jordan, where John was baptizing.
29 ¶ The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
30 This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.
31 And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.
32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
34 And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

Mat 21:23 ¶ And when he was come into the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came unto him as he was teaching, and said, By what authority doest thou these things? and who gave thee this authority?
24 And Jesus answered and said unto them, I also will ask you one thing, which if ye tell me, I in like wise will tell you by what authority I do these things.
25 The baptism of John, whence was it? from heaven, or of men? And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say unto us, Why did ye not then believe him?
26 But if we shall say, Of men; we fear the people; for all hold John as a prophet.
27 And they answered Jesus, and said, We cannot tell. And he said unto them, Neither tell I you by what authority I do these things.

Clip from my article on this:

Have you ever wondered why in the world Jesus got baptized? If so, you’re not alone, John the Baptist voiced the same thing to Jesus when he said, “I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?”

The answer Jesus gave him was short and to the point, “…Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness.”

Did you see how Jesus said it “becometh us” to fufil all righteousness? Some people try to say that this was one step in Jesus becoming God, which is heresy. The first reason why Jesus got baptized was one of the same reasons why John got baptized, to be an example to the rest of the people on what to do.

The second reason Christ was baptized was to identify Himself as the Son with God the Father. This was made apparent by what happened immediately after He was baptized. This is very important as the Jews are monotheistic and needed a sign from Heaven showing them that Jesus is God as well. Not that there are multiple Gods, but that Jesus Christ was God as well.

Basically, water baptism is about identification - not getting righteous. Jesus didn't become more righteous by getting baptized; He provided an example and identified Himself with God the Father.

Full Article

Age 30, baptized by a priest, anointed by the Holy Spirit & approved by his Father;
authorized to cleanse the temple & teach ...

Jesus baptism was his anointing for his life's work, according to the High priestly rituals:

Exd 29:4 And Aaron and his sons thou shalt bring unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and shalt wash them with water.

Exd 29:7 Then shalt thou take the anointing oil, and pour [it] upon his head, and anoint him.

Num 4:3 From thirty years old and upward even until fifty years old, all that enter into the host, to do the work in the tabernacle of the congregation.

2Sa 5:4 David [was] thirty years old when he began to reign, [and] he reigned forty years.

Only as anointed priest did he have authority to cleanse the temple. Melchizedek was the ONLY priest-king in the OT. The combination of those offices was forbidden.

Gen 14:18 ¶ And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he [was] the priest of the most high God.

Psa 110:4 The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou [art] a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.

Edited by Covenanter

Rick, how do you think John's baptism gave Jesus his authority? Without legal authority he would have been violating the temple himself.

Fulfilling all righteousness required Jesus' compliance with the Law, & being of David's line (tribe of Judah) he cold not be a priest, except by being in the line of a greater priest - Melchizedek, who was a pre-incarnation appearance of Jesus himself.

Jesus' baptism by a priest, John, & his divine anointing gave him legal authority.

You are welcome to add my contribution to your article.

Jerry
Have you noticed, all members Jesus' early church had one thing in common, they had all been baptize. Yes, those who Jesus called to follow Him, had been baptized.

Nicodemus?
Joseph of Arimathaea?

Have you noticed, all members Jesus' early church had one thing in common, they had all been baptize. Yes, those who Jesus called to follow Him, had been baptized.

I can't think of any scriptures that support that assertion, can you supply some?

Clip from my article on this:

Have you ever wondered why in the world Jesus got baptized? If so, you’re not alone, John the Baptist voiced the same thing to Jesus when he said, “I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?”

The answer Jesus gave him was short and to the point, “…Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness.”

Did you see how Jesus said it “becometh us” to fufil all righteousness? Some people try to say that this was one step in Jesus becoming God, which is heresy. The first reason why Jesus got baptized was one of the same reasons why John got baptized, to be an example to the rest of the people on what to do.

The second reason Christ was baptized was to identify Himself as the Son with God the Father. This was made apparent by what happened immediately after He was baptized. This is very important as the Jews are monotheistic and needed a sign from Heaven showing them that Jesus is God as well. Not that there are multiple Gods, but that Jesus Christ was God as well.

Basically, water baptism is about identification - not getting righteous. Jesus didn't become more righteous by getting baptized; He provided an example and identified Himself with God the Father.

Full Article

AMEN!!!

Rick, h How do you think John's baptism gave Jesus his authority? Without legal authority he would have been violating the temple himself.

Fulfilling all righteousness required Jesus' compliance with the Law, & being of David's line (tribe of Judah) he cold not be a priest, except by being in the line of a greater priest - Melchizedek, who was a pre-incarnation appearance of Jesus himself.

Jesus' baptism by a priest, John, & his divine anointing gave him legal authority.

Rick has acknowledged the point I am making.

Do others agree ??

Do others agree ??

I agree, if that makes any difference. I would hasten to add John 1:31 to your list so that we can see another aspect equally important as the Anointing of the High Priest,. Question, How did water baptism manifest God incarnate to Israel? (think "deep")

God bless,
Calvary Edited by Calvary

Do others agree ??

A pre-incarnate of Jesus himself? Where do you get this from? Melchizedek was a man. He was not Christ. Yes, I know that Christ was a man as well but he was also God.

A pre-incarnate of Jesus himself? Where do you get this from? Melchizedek was a man. He was not Christ. Yes, I know that Christ was a man as well but he was also God.

The various references to Melchizedek show him to be Christ. There was no priesthood when he met Abraham, & after the meeting Abraham declared: I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth.

Psalm 110 declares his eternal priesthood: The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou [art] a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.

Hebrews develops the thought for Melchizedek being Jesus the Son of God:
1For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;
2To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;
3Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.

I can't think of any scriptures that support that assertion, can you supply some?

I may not be able to prove all of the disciples were baptized, but at least I can show you that Andrew was. He was a desiple of John the Baptist. In the Gospel of John 1:35-40.

Dr. Roberson

I may not be able to prove all of the disciples were baptized, but at least I can show you that Andrew was. He was a desiple of John the Baptist. In the Gospel of John 1:35-40.

Dr. Roberson

There was no church during the days of Jesus; it did not come until after his death, buriel and resurrection. Acts 2.

There was no church during the days of Jesus; it did not come until after his death, buriel and resurrection. Acts 2

The question of when the church was started was not the question I answered or even the question that was asked. Try to follow along.

Dr. Roberson

All one has to do is read the New Testament, and take notice.

Baptism is assumed but not always stated, e.g. 4Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand. No mention of baptism.

The point is not relevant to the thread topic, Jerry, unless you are making a specific point.

The question of when the church was started was not the question I answered or even the question that was asked. Try to follow along.

Dr. Roberson

Actually, Jerry was speaking of all the members of Jesus' early church. You in context of that question discussed Andrew being baptized. As proof you discussed his being a disciple of John. At that time, Jesus' church did not exist.

I am following along quiet well, thank you.

Actually, Jerry was speaking of all the members of Jesus' early church. You in context of that question discussed Andrew being baptized. As proof you discussed his being a disciple of John. At that time, Jesus' church did not exist.

I am following along quiet well, thank you.

Your right. Jerry did speak of Jesus and his desiples as if they were an early church. Good looking out brother.
I however answered the question by Invicta (post # 8). I could only answer that Andrew was the only disiple of John the Baptist who is also mentioned as a disiple of Jesus. I did not try to answer if there was a church in the time of Jesus, that would be my fault.

Again, I did not answer as to when the early church was started, not did I try to, but to only answer that Andrew was baptized by John the Baptist. I hope this clears us up and no bad feelings between us.

Dr. Roberson

I think it is, perhaps, important to note that Jesus did not baptize anyone (John 4:1-2).  He made His disciples who were then baptized by existing disciples. Since Jesus did not baptize anyone then the first disciples (James, John, Peter, Andrew) either baptized each other or were not baptized as a follower of Jesus at all.  One could make a case, as did Dr. Roberson, that they were baptized by John the Baptist, but since it is a symbolic and identifying act this baptism would not have been of any consequence for identification as a follower of Jesus (see Acts 19:1-5).

I think it is, perhaps, important to note that Jesus did not baptize anyone (John 4:1-2).  He made His disciples who were then baptized by existing disciples. Since Jesus did not baptize anyone then the first disciples (James, John, Peter, Andrew) either baptized each other or were not baptized as a follower of Jesus at all.  One could make a case, as did Dr. Roberson, that they were baptized by John the Baptist, but since it is a symbolic and identifying act this baptism would not have been of any consequence for identification as a follower of Jesus (see Acts 19:1-5).

John the Baptist baptized Jesus, John was ordained by God to do this. And yes, Jesus did not baptize, but He ordained His apostles to, & he gave the authority to His churches to baptize.

Mt 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mt 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Plus, take notice, His apostles were baptized, & were part of the Church at Jerusalem that was founded by Him.

The local New Testament Church is the authority. And a local New Testament Church is made up of baptized believers. Being baptized in not and after thought, it does not save you, yet its the 1st step in obedience a newly saved person can take.

I'm not sure who the Dr. Roberson your speaking of is, but what you say he has taught, is 100% correct.

John the Baptist baptized Jesus, John was ordained by God to do this. And yes, Jesus did not baptize, but He ordained His apostles to, & he gave the authority to His churches to baptize.

Mt 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mt 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Plus, take notice, His apostles were baptized, & were part of the Church at Jerusalem that was founded by Him.

The local New Testament Church is the authority. And a local New Testament Church is made up of baptized believers. Being baptized in not and after thought, it does not save you, yet its the 1st step in obedience a newly saved person can take.

I'm not sure who the Dr. Roberson your speaking of is, but what you say he has taught, is 100% correct.

I don't at all dispute any of those facts.  The point was merely to say that it's an unsupportable argument to state definitively that all of Jesus' discliples were baptized by asserting that they were baptized by John because they are two completely separate baptisms for different purposes.  The baptisms of the church in Jerusalem didn't begin until Pentecost (Acts 2)  at which point your absolutely correct, all were baptized.

I highly disagree, I firmly believe they were all baptized, & were baptized believers. It seems they were 1st disciples of John the Baptist, them He, Jesus, called them out to become His disciple thus was the start of his 1st church, the Church at Jerusalem.