• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

SUTHEN-ISM'S

Bro Jim

• Members

SUTHEN-ISM'S

Only a Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder."
Only a Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is.
Even Southern babies know that "Gimme some sugar" is not a request for the white, granular, sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl in the middle of the table.

All Southerners know exactly when "by and by" is.
Only a Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin'!.

Only a Southerner both knows and understands the difference between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and Po white trash.
A Southerner knows that "fixin" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.
In the South, y'all is singular, all y'all is plural.
Southerners know grits come from corn and how to eat them.

Every Southerner knows tomatoes with eggs, bacon, grits, and coffee are perfectly wonderful; that red eye gravy is also a breakfast food; and that fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast food.

Only true Southerners say "sweet tea"and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it -- we do not like our tea unsweetened. "Sweet milk" means you don't want buttermilk.

And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this Southern stuff....bless your hearts, I hear they are a fixin' to have classes on Southernness as a second language!

Edited by Bro Jim

• Members

I's not suthen, but i know's a lot off 'em. I am 100% Yankee, and do not even like grits unless you put milk and sugar on them. 'Bout the onliest thing I have in common with suthen folk is that I like sweet tea, plenty sweet. I don't even know anyone that owns a still, that's how Yankee-fied I am! (except I prefer to wear shoes in the woods too!)

• Members

Reading that made me thinks of a tuck stop back in the 70's that had banana puddin everyday at lunch time. Generally they would have it ready just after 10:30 AM, right off the stove, it was yummy good with a cup of coffee.

That's right Brother John, We don't need no hissy fits thrown around here. But when the banana puddin was not ready at the truck stop I was ready to throw a hissy fit.

• Members

We may get confused on how we say things, but at least we don't spell things weird like you folks do (aeroplane, cheque, shoppe, and favourite). :D

You've even got the wrong words to "God save the Queen."

And looking at your signature: "Nothing is better than a sleepy puppy" I'll settle for nothing - it won't wake up & demand "walkies" & all that involves. Also, compared with proprietory medicines, "nothing acts faster."