• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mark 9:1

• Members

"blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....."

"For all the saints and the Elect of God are gathered, prior to the tribulation that is to come, and are taken to the Lord lest they see the confusion that is to overwhelm the world because of our sins."

Ephrem the Syrian, On the Last Times, the Antichrist, and the End of the World, 373 A.D.

That is a very dismissive and weak refutation.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The futurist teaching was invented by several Jesuits in cluding Bellarmine. This teaching was inveented to counter the Reformation teaching that the Pope was Antchrist. The Waldensians also believed that, from about 1200 AD. They had a document, Treatise on Antichrist, written about that time.

The pre tribulation rapture resulted from a book by Juan Josephat ben Ezra, A converted Jew, the Nom de Plume of South American Jesuit, Manuel Lacunza. There were several translations of this book, including one by Edward Irving, who taught himself Spanish in one month, in order to translate it. Irving was not the first Protestant to accept the P T Rapture teaching, that hounour went to an Anglican, the librarian to the Archbishop of Canterbury, a Mr Maitland in about 1825 who wrote on the subject. Irving was the Minister of the Scotch Church in London in the early 1800s and soon became a charismatic. Irving also had several teaching for which he was excommunicated. The first was on the humanity of Christ, the second was the righteousness of the believer, believing in an actual righteousness rather than an imputed righteousness. Several of Irving's prophets prophecied that this teaching was true including Robert Baxter who later retracted his prophecies and left the movement.

The irvingites then held annual prophetic conferences at Albury, London for a few years. One person who attended these conferences was Lady Powerscourt of Ireland who was an associate of the Brethren. who were beginning about 1829. She absorbed this teaching. Lady Powerscourt arranged prophetic conferences at her estate in Ireland which Irving and John Nelson Darby attended. http://peebs.net/exclusive-brethren-history/the-writings-of-lady-theodosia-wingfield-powerscourt-viscountess-1800-1836. (Peebs is from a shortening of P. B, the Plymouth Brethren. My wife used to be in the Brethren and she referred to them as Peebs.)

The Brethren developed in the Plymouth area thus they were called Plymouth Brethren. For a number of years Pre Tribulation Rapturism was confined to those two groups and was widely considered to be a heresy. Then Darby travelled to America, and the teaching took off. The new teaching needed a new bible and along came Scofield and supplied the need.

We rely on the symbols in scripture which are explained in scripture.

That view depends on an early date for revelation, which is a very doubtful interpretation. It is not just contradicted but Irenius, but every other early writer I have read.

I believe that most Grace Baptists would hold to the teaching of Hendriksen, who I believe was an A-millenialist. I have never read Hendriksen but I know that Grace Baptists that I have spoken to believe that the Book of Revelation gives seven parallel interpretations of church history. I do not believe that.

A Grace Baptist pastor I spoke to said he beleived that, but seemed to think the interpretations were general rather thaqn specific.

Some of this is unfamiliar to me, mostly the Jesuit parts, while I've read at least some regarding the rest.

What was the Baptist view on this while all of this was going on?

• Members
Some of this is unfamiliar to me, mostly the Jesuit parts, while I've read at least some regarding the rest.

What was the Baptist view on this while all of this was going on?

A test for Biblical orthodoxy is NOT "which heretics have included this doctrine (whatever) in their doctrine?"

Also ALL Christians & heretics include baptism of converts as the entrance to their church, so your question can be answered by "confusion." Evangelical Christian baptists always hold a range of eschatological views, as evidenced in this thread.

Is YOUR view taught explicitly in Scripture, or inferred from Scripture, or is it a scheme taught by man or college & supported by reference to Scripture?

• Members

1. Where does Jesus teach a future millennium?
2. Where does Paul teach a future millennium?
3. Where does Peter teach a future millennium?
4. Where does James teach a future millennium?
5. Where does Jude teach a future millennium?
6. What is the nature of the millennium in John's teaching?

• Members

"blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....."

"For all the saints and the Elect of God are gathered, prior to the tribulation that is to come, and are taken to the Lord lest they see the confusion that is to overwhelm the world because of our sins."

Ephrem the Syrian, On the Last Times, the Antichrist, and the End of the World,373 A.D.

Ephrem is presumably quoting Paul:

2 Thes. 1:3We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is meet, because that your faith groweth exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth;

4So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure:

5Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

6Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;

7And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,

8In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

9Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

10When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

Or Jesus:

Mat. 13:37He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;

38The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;

39The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.

40As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

41The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

42And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

43Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

The rapture we will enjoy is the resurrection of the just, & the tribulation the wicked suffer is hell.

John 5:28Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

29And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

• Members

A test for Biblical orthodoxy is NOT "which heretics have included this doctrine (whatever) in their doctrine?"

Also ALL Christians & heretics include baptism of converts as the entrance to their church, so your question can be answered by "confusion." Evangelical Christian baptists always hold a range of eschatological views, as evidenced in this thread.

Is YOUR view taught explicitly in Scripture, or inferred from Scripture, or is it a scheme taught by man or college & supported by reference to Scripture?

Agreed. Scripture is our authority.

From my own study, much of what some Baptists hold to today is different than what many held to previously. Some folks know more of Baptist history than I, which is why I asked the question to see if anyone had something to add which I might not be aware of. Without a doubt, those calling themselves Baptists today are all over the spectrum, with Calvinists and non-Calvinists, pre-mils and A-mils, etc.

Anyway, since it was stated what the Plymouth Brethren were teaching, I was simply wondering if anyone knew what Baptists were teaching at that time.

• Members

1. Where does Jesus teach a future millennium?
2. Where does Paul teach a future millennium?
3. Where does Peter teach a future millennium?
4. Where does James teach a future millennium?
5. Where does Jude teach a future millennium?
6. What is the nature of the millennium in John's teaching?

Brother, we've already been from Dan to Beersheba on this, and you've yet to explain the differences from the Millennial Kingdom and the Everlasting Kingdom, among a host of other things. You apply all the really great Old Testament prophesies of a future kingdom to the New Heavens and New Earth, but ignore the counterdictions that such an interpretation leaves you with when you read Revelation. There are two kingdoms, a Millennial and an Everlasting, in one people live very long (much longer than now) and still die and there is a sea, in the other no one ever dies and there is no sea according to Revelation.

You also completely disregard the painstaking detail in fifteen chapters of Revelation concerning a future Tribulation period as being one isolated event in 70 A.D., ignoring the fact that when Jesus spoke of the Great Tribulation He said it's so catastrophic the world has never seen anything like it before and will never see anything like it again, that is, seven years of Hell on Earth as described in Revelation.

You and I have already been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt. In my experience with you, you typically answer about 20% of my questions and I answer about 90% of yours. God bless you brother, you know I love you in the Lord, but I really don't have the time or the patience to go through it all over again with you.

• Members

No, that is not true, some require pouring and or sprinkling, and neither of these is supported by the Bible, the Bible way is full immersion, and one has not been baptized until they have been fully immersed as Jesus was.

• Members

To come back to the thread question, the underlying question is "When did the kingdom of God come with power?"

The chapter divisions are not inspired, & we need to read from the previous chapter to see if that is relevant.

Mar 8:38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.
Mar 9:1 ¶ And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.
2 ¶ And after six days Jesus taketh [with him] Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.

Peter quotes prophecy that speaks of Jesus' resurrection & ascension to his heavenly throne. (Acts 2) Also Jesus had previously prophesied: Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: so Pentecost is a possible interpretation of Mark 9, though it does not tally with the closing verses of Mark 8.

Some have argued previously that the church age is not the kingdom of God & look beyond the present age to a yet future millennium. That interpretation requires the millennium to begin while some of them that stand here were still alive.

• Members

No, that is not true, some require pouring and or sprinkling, and neither of these is supported by the Bible, the Bible way is full immersion, and one has not been baptized until they have been fully immersed as Jesus was.

That is true, Brother Jerry.

The Brethren I have come across have been Baptist, but I do know some who have been associated with Exclusive Brethren who practice infant Baptism.

Brother John

As to what Baptists believed before the Brethren. The 1689 Baptist confession teaches that the Pope was the Antichrist, as did the Independants, and the reformers as well as before the reformation the Waldensians and others.

The information I gave takes quite a bit of reading and you can find it in histories of the Irvingites as well as history of the Brethren.

• Members

Brother John

As to what Baptists believed before the Brethren. The 1689 Baptist confession teaches that the Pope was the Antichrist, as did the Independants, and the reformers as well as before the reformation the Waldensians and others.

The information I gave takes quite a bit of reading and you can find it in histories of the Irvingites as well as history of the Brethren.

Were the Baptists at that time pre-mil, pre-trib? I've read some, but not all, of the 1689 Baptist Confession. Didn't that Baptist Confession also hold to Calvinism? Aren't most Calvinist a-mil?

• Members

Were the Baptists at that time pre-mil, pre-trib? I've read some, but not all, of the 1689 Baptist Confession. Didn't that Baptist Confession also hold to Calvinism? Aren't most Calvinist a-mil?

That confession of 1689 was not for all of the Baptist, just a portion of them. And of course, the Bible teaches pre-trib, so that teaching is quite old, nothing new about it. Of course saying its a new teaching is the way some defend what they believe.