• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mark 9:1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • Members
From the Preterist Wikipedia website:

Mark 8:34 And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.
36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
37 Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.
Mark 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

This predicted event has been variously interpreted as referring to: (1) Jesus' transfiguration; (2) his resurrection; (3) the coming of the Spirit at Pentecost; (4) the spread of the kingdom through the preaching of the early church; (5) the destruction of the temple and Jerusalem in AD 70; or (6) the second coming and final establishment of the kingdom.[41] View (6) is unacceptable to many preterists because it implies that Jesus was mistaken about the timing of his return.

Many preterists believe the immediate context seems to indicate the first view, the transfiguration, which immediately follows (Matthew 17:1-9; Mark 9:2–10; Luke 9:28–36). This view seems to satisfy that "some" disciples would see the glory of the son of man, but it does not satisfy that "he will repay every man for what he has done."

The same situation occurs with views (2) through (4). Only view (5) of the judgment on Jerusalem in AD 70 appears to satisfy both conditions (reinforced with Revelation 2:23;20:12;22:12), as a preterist would argue.

• Members

Should I change my view from (3) to (5) ?

This predicted event has been variously interpreted as referring to: (1) Jesus' transfiguration;
(2) his resurrection;
(4) the spread of the kingdom through the preaching of the early church;
Neither 1 nor 2 answer to: the kingdom of God come with power. Nor does (4) as the text indicates an event, rather than a process.

(3) the coming of the Spirit at Pentecost;
This event certain is the kingdom of God come with power. I do not think it is wrong to understand it in that way.

It does not, however, equate to: 38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

(5) the destruction of the temple and Jerusalem in AD 70;

This understanding requires AD 70 to be a coming in the glory of his Father with the holy angels and a specific time of judgement of this generation that rejected him.

I'll develop that in a future post.

(6) the second coming and final establishment of the kingdom.
This looks as if it could be a valid understanding of 38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels. except for the condemnation of this adulterous and sinful generation which is a condemnation of those alive then who rejected him, and there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

• Members

I'm not sure what everyone is trying to say just yet but I'm reading these posts because I've noticed this is an area many views of the end times seem to have trouble with.

Has anyone ever wondered why the things concerning the end times were presented to us as they were? I mean, without a clear, 'thus saith the Lord, this is exactly how it will be, step one...step two...step three...'.

• Members

I'm not sure what everyone is trying to say just yet but I'm reading these posts because I've noticed this is an area many views of the end times seem to have trouble with.

Has anyone ever wondered why the things concerning the end times were presented to us as they were? I mean, without a clear, 'thus saith the Lord, this is exactly how it will be, step one...step two...step three...'.

John, Even if it was spelled out for easy understanding, there would still be many different opinions. Basically, man hates God's way, and loves his own way, he just naturally rebels against God, them does what it right in his own sight.

With the Bible laid out as it is, those that are truly interested in God, those who truly love Christ, those who want to walk in His ways will only be a few, Mt 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Mt 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Pat Boone recently wrote on his blog, we Christians must get together and vote them democrats out, the Christians, that is true Christians, have never been in the majority, and never will be.

• Members

Just believe what the Bible actually teaches: the kingdom came on the day of pentecost in Acts 2.

Exactly.

1 Cor. 4: 17 ¶ For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church.
18 Now some are puffed up, as though I would not come to you.
19 But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord will, and will know, not the speech of them which are puffed up, but the power.
20 For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power.
21 What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love, and in the spirit of meekness?

• Members

What do you believe Revelation chapter 20 is talking about?

Interesting that you bring the millennium into this discussion. Presumably the idea is that Jesus is predicting that some of his hearers would live to see the beginning of the millennium.

Mar 8:38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.
Mar 9:1 ¶ And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

Rev 20:4 ¶ And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and [i saw] the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received [his] mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

While I am confident that the millennium is the present Gospel age, I'm unsure of whether it began with Jesus' triumph over Satan in his resurrection, or with his vindication over his enemies in the generation that rejected him, when his Olivet prophecy was fulfilled AD 70.

Certainly Jesus was enthroned at his ascension, but he did speak of a 'coming' that was not his coming for resurrection & judgment, when he would bring about the NH&NE.

Luk 20:13 Then said the lord of the vineyard, What shall I do? I will send my beloved son: it may be they will reverence [him] when they see him.
14 But when the husbandmen saw him, they reasoned among themselves, saying, This is the heir: come, let us kill him, that the inheritance may be ours.
15 So they cast him out of the vineyard, and killed [him]. What therefore shall the lord of the vineyard do unto them?
16 He shall come and destroy these husbandmen, and shall give the vineyard to others. And when they heard [it], they said, God forbid.
17 And he beheld them, and said, What is this then that is written, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner?
18 Whosoever shall fall upon that stone shall be broken; but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.
19 And the chief priests and the scribes the same hour sought to lay hands on him; and they feared the people: for they perceived that he had spoken this parable against them.

Not every coming of the Lord is personal & visible, but nevertheless it is very real:

Deu 33:2 And he said, The LORD came from Sinai, and rose up from Seir unto them; he shined forth from mount Paran, and he came with ten thousands of saints: from his right hand [went] a fiery law for them.

Hab 3:3 ¶ God came from Teman, and the Holy One from mount Paran. Selah. His glory covered the heavens, and the earth was full of his praise.

Mal 3:5 And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in [his] wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger [from his right], and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts.

Malachi goes on to warn of the Lord coming in judgment against those who rejected the warnings of Elijah - aka John the baptist.

Mal 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:
6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

Jesus came to smite the generation of those who rejected him in AD 70.

• Members

How could this present age, Gospel Age, be the 1,000 years kingdom (millennium) spoken of when its been nearly 2,000 years since Jesus arose and since the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD?

Ask Peter & Moses; 1,000 years is an indefinite period.

2Pe 3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Psa 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight [are but] as yesterday when it is past, and [as] a watch in the night.

• Members

Ask Peter & Moses; 1,000 years is an indefinite period.

2Pe 3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Psa 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight [are but] as yesterday when it is past, and [as] a watch in the night.

So you take the position that 1,000 years simply means a long, but indefinite period of time and not a literal thousand years. Correct?

What others have held to this view?

• Members

So you take the position that 1,000 years simply means a long, but indefinite period of time and not a literal thousand years. Correct?

That is the standard amil view, held by countless evangelicals. Peter's (2P3:8) allows no place for a future millennium. His 1,000 years/day is the present time of longsuffering & grace - Paul calls it now. (2 Cor. 6:2)

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
10 ¶ But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 [seeing] then [that] all these things shall be dissolved, what manner [of persons] ought ye to be in [all] holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
14 ¶ Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
15 And account [that] the longsuffering of our Lord [is] salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

• Members

Most Grace Baptists would hold this view, as taught by Hendriksen. Liberal Baptists would not.

Plymouth Brethren would be dispensationists, and most liberals would follow them.

Betwen them are the Historic Millenialists.