• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Essentials

• Members

There has been a couple of discussion going on about, "Are essentials essential for unity?" I stated in one reply that maybe we should determine what are essentials of the IBFs? I admit that I was SBC before I became IBF, and even now the SBC, want me to unite with them, but they won't unite with me (which I no problem with. So I ask what are the essentials that we will stand on? I even have some Baptist think that we have gone over board by putting away the Christian flag and now fly the Baptist flag. I'm not saying that the flag is an essential, but to repeat the question, "What are IBF essentials?"

ie: Essential, King James Bible, you will not use any other MV, to teach or preach in the Living Word Baptist Church.
ie: No-essential, Strong's or Cruden's concordance.

• Members

You're asking about more than one issue. If you desire to know what are the common doctrinal stances that unite all who claim the name of Baptist, we can supply you with a simple acronym that covers these 8 distinctives. If you are looking for what makes one an "Independent" Fundamental baptist, then you will here a laundry list of many personal convictions.

I believe the basic Baptist distinctives are the following:

1. Bible is the Final Authority.
2. Autonomy of the local church.
3. Priesthood of the believer, i.e every born again Christian has direct access to God.
4. Two ordinances, Baptism by immersion, Lord's Supper
5. Individual Soul Liberty. (my belief system cannot be forced upon me by a religious institution)
6. Saved, born again church membership.
7. Two church offices. Pastor, Deacon
8. Separation of church and state (or better said, from the state)

Now these things are basic Baptist, biblical teachings, These things are what makes one a Baptist.

Asking about IFB's is an entirely different matter.

Notice # 1for example. The list says the "Bible" is the final authority, but the IFB says, the Authorized Version only is the inerrant preserved words of God for the English speaking peoples. Now, whether or not I agree with that is not the issue, but that is what makes the difference between say, an Independent Baptist church somewhere and a church that is part of the Southern Baptist Convention.

You may find a church somewhere that does not say Baptist on the door, yet believes all 8 of those distinctives. In fact I know of several. Many "Bible" churches ar ein fact very solid on the book, soul winning, mission minded and so forth, but do not claim the name of Baptist. So what makes a baptist is one thing, what makes one an IFB is a more thorough discussion.

God bless,
Calvary

• Members

You're asking about more than one issue. If you desire to know what are the common doctrinal stances that unite all who claim the name of Baptist, we can supply you with a simple acronym that covers these 8 distinctives. If you are looking for what makes one an "Independent" Fundamental baptist, then you will here a laundry list of many personal convictions.

3. Priesthood of the believer, i.e every born again Christian has direct access to God.
5. Individual Soul Liberty. (my belief system cannot be forced upon me by a religious institution)

Now these things are basic Baptist, biblical teachings, These things are what makes one a Baptist.

Notice # 1for example. The list says the "Bible" is the final authority, but the IFB says, the Authorized Version only is the inerrant preserved words of God for the English speaking peoples. Now, whether or not I agree with that is not the issue, but that is what makes the difference between say, an Independent Baptist church somewhere and a church that is part of the Southern Baptist Convention.

You may find a church somewhere that does not say Baptist on the door, yet believes all 8 of those distinctives. In fact I know of several. Many "Bible" churches ar ein fact very solid on the book, soul winning, mission minded and so forth, but do not claim the name of Baptist. So what makes a baptist is one thing, what makes one an IFB is a more thorough discussion.

God bless,
Calvary

I believe the same way, yet I do wonder about those who have had Baptist on their church in the past but decided to remove it. Yet, any church I was seeking out I would truly have to check out there beliefs even when they have Baptist on their church.

• Members

God bless,
Calvary

When you say Baptist you are putting Southern Baptist in that mix as well? I always thought their churches weren't autonomous because they still answered to the Southern Baptist Convention, I don't know a lot about them so I could be wrong.

• Moderators

I've seen that flag somewhere at sometime yet I do not remember where.I searched to see what I could find about it, and I found this. Seems that a Dr. D. L. Green come up with it.

Yes, Bro. Don Green (Parker Memorial Baptist Church in Mich.) designed it.

Interestingly enough, several groups, denominations, and organizations have their own distinctive ensigns (including A.C.E.) .

• Members

When you say Baptist you are putting Southern Baptist in that mix as well? I always thought their churches weren't autonomous because they still answered to the Southern Baptist Convention, I don't know a lot about them so I could be wrong.

Here is website that list 50 Baptist Associations - (http://www.allaboutb...com/groups.html) ?? some say they believe in the autonomy of the local church but to be part of their fellowship you are to become a member.
We at the Living Word Baptist Church call ourselves Baptist, I have had "people' disassociate with us because we won't label ourselves with their label. We/I am going to look at the basic doctrinal beliefs. We work with other churches, we are right now talking about a 3 week tent meeting. We will work together. I like the acronym of Baptist, I believe I already seen someone say maybe the KJB may not be an essential.

We are pre-tribulation that is essential to us. Edited by Bro Jim

• Administrators

I've seen that flag somewhere at sometime yet I do not remember where.I searched to see what I could find about it, and I found this. Seems that a Dr. D. L. Green come up with it.

He's a gooood preacher, too! We have had him preach for our Preaching Conference several times.

• Members

Sorry, folks but I won't be waving the "Baptist" flag.

When I came to my current church we were undeclared but Independent. About 2 years ago we decided to embrace our Baptist heritage and added Independent Baptist to our sign out front.

THe statemnt of faith is unchanged...

Statement of Faith & Doctrine

The Word of God
We believe the Bible is the divinely inspired Word of God in its entirety, written by men as they were moved by the Holy Spirit, and that it is the sole authority for the Christian's faith and conduct. The King James Version of the Bible is the official translation used by the church for teaching and preaching. (2 Timothy 3.16-17; 2 Peter 1.20-21)

The Godhead
We believe in a personal God, who is one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We believe they are equal in every divine perfection, each executing distinct, but harmonious offices in the work of Redemption. God is infinitely holy, being by His own nature incapable of sin, and absolutely sovereign working all things after the counsel of His own will. (Gen. 1:1; Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19; John 1:13, 4:24, 10:30; Rom. 8:28, 9:11; II Cor. 13:14; Eph. 1:5)

God the Father
We believe that God the Father is the all wise and sovereign ruler of all creation, who sent the Son to be the Savior of the world. He is the Creator of all and the Father of those who have accepted redemption through His Son

God the Son
We believe that Jesus Christ was conceived of the Holy Spirit and was born of Mary, a virgin, in order that He might reveal God and redeem sinful men; that He is both the Son of God and God the Son. (Isa. 7.14; John 1.1-2; Gal. 4.4-5; Phil. 2.5-8)

God the Holy Spirit
We believe that the Holy Spirit is a divine Person, equal with God the Father and God the Son and of the same nature. It is He who convicts of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment. He is the Restrainer of the Evil One until God's purpose is fulfilled. He bears witness to the truth of the Gospel and is the agent in the new birth, baptizing all true believers into the Body of Christ, sealing them until the day of redemption. (John 16.8-11; Rom. 8-9; 1 Cor. 12.12-14; Eph. 4.30)

Creation
We believe that God created the universe in six literal, 24-hour days. We reject any form of evolution, including Theistic Evolution, as an unscriptural theory of origins. (Gen. 1-2)

Man
We believe that man was created in the image and after the likeness of God, but he by voluntary transgression fell from his sinless and happy estate. The resulting consequences are that all men are now sinners not by constraint, but by choice and are therefore under the just condemnation of God, without excuse or defense. (Gen. 1.26-27; Rom. 3.22-23; Eph. 2.1-3)

Salvation
We believe that the salvation of sinners is wholly of grace through faith and that Jesus is the only way of salvation. We believe that the Gospel makes the blessings of salvation free and that nothing prevents the salvation of the greatest sinner but his own inherent depravity and voluntary rejection of the Gospel. (John 1.12; Eph. 1.7, 2.8-10)

Eternal Security
We believe that those who receive Jesus Christ as Savior are eternally secure. Their security rests in the finished work of Jesus Christ and all of the redeemed are kept by God's power and are thus secure in Christ forever. (John 6.37-40; Rom. 8.1; 1 Pet. 1.4-5)

Heaven & Hell
We believe Heaven to be a real and actual place. It is where the throne of God is, where Jesus is now, and where all the saved will be forever. (Matt. 6.9; Heb. 8.1) Likewise, we believe Hell to be a real and actual place. It is the abode of the soul and spirit of departed unbelievers. It is a place of torment and fire. It is the lake of fire prepared for Satan and his angels. (Luke 16.22-31; Rev. 20.11-14)

Christ's Resurrection
We believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, in His ascension into heaven, and in His present life there as High Priest and Advocate. (Acts 1.1-11; Hebrews 8.1)

Second Coming of Christ
We believe in the catching away of the Church, which is the “Blessed Hope” of the believer. It is the personal, pre-tribulational, pre-millennial, imminent return of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ when He will come in the sky to gather His Bride, the Church, unto Himself. We also believe in the physical return of Christ in His Glory, at the end of the seven-year tribulation, to rule with a rod of iron, and to establish and execute His kingdom on earth for a thousand years. At the end of the millennial kingdom, Christ will judge Satan and his fallen angels along with all the lost at the Great White Throne, from whence He will cast them all into the Lake of Fire for all eternity. Christ will then make a New Heaven and a New Earth, where the saved of every dispensation will dwell with Him forever. (Ps. 89.3-4; Dan. 2.31-45; 1 Thess. 1.10, 4.13-18)

Scripture Ordinances
We believe that the Spiritual ordinances of the church are Baptism by immersion and the Lord's Supper; that they are to be administered to believers only as a symbol of their belief in the death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, and as a testimony to the world of that belief and of their death, burial, and resurrection with Him; and that the Lord's Supper should be partaken by believers only to show forth His death, "till He come." (1 Corinthians 11.24-25)

The Church
We believe that the visible church is a congregation of baptized believers practicing the New Testament principles, believing its doctrines, observing its ordinances, and exercising its autonomy. We believe it is the responsibility of the local church to propagate the Gospel to the world. Every church and Christian should have a part in the ministry. (Matt. 16.16-19)

Abortion
We believe human life begins at conception and that the unborn child is a living human being. Abortion constitutes the unjustified, unexcused taking of unborn human life. Abortion is murder. We reject any teaching that abortion of pregnancies due to rape, incest, birth defects, gender selection, or population control, or for the mental well being of the mother are acceptable. (Job. 3.16; Ps. 51.5, 139.14-16; Lk. 1.44)

Missions
We believe that God has given the church a great commission to proclaim the gospel to all nations. As ambassadors for Christ, we must use all available means to go to the foreign nations with the gospel. We will admonish each member to pray for missions, give toward missions, go and accomplish missionary service when possible, and participate in sending missionaries to reach the lost. (Matt. 28.19-20; Mk 16.15; Acts 1.8)

But the flag is not part of that heritage. I would prefer we wave Bibles.

Ed: My personal SoF&D is a little different for the Bible...

The Word of God

I believe the original texts are the divinely inspired Word of God in its entirety, written by men as they were moved by the Holy Spirit, and that it is the sole authority for the Christian's faith and conduct. I believe the King James Version of the Bible is the preserved Word of God for teaching and preaching to English speaking people. This is what I will use when I quote scripture. I believe other English translations contain the Word of God including the latest Roman Church, Douay, authorized version, The New American Bible, Saint Joseph Edition. (2 Timothy 3.16-17; 2 Peter 1.20-21)

...the 1769 KJV fits me and I believe God is honored that I have it settled.

Besides the above...I cannot submit to memory the newer EVs. It's too much like casual conversation which, lends to discard or minimalize a great percentage when someone is speaking. We have to remember this is God speaking to us and answering questions we have so, casual, discard, or minimalism are not options. The KJB makes me pause and think about the meaning also; in many cases I look up meaning. It causes me to meditate on God's Word and I know that pleases Him. (2 Timothy 3:15)

Edited by 1Tim115

• Members

Now I'm not taking up for the Southern Baptist, yet each church is autonomous. Where they go wrong is in the way the convention is run.

The local Southern Baptist here at town will join in and worship with any church that will join with them, no matter their teaching, even churches that has women pastors, even Catholics. They will let the pastors of theses churches behind their pulpit.

The only thing the convention can do regarding a local church is to cut off fellowship with it if they feel they have ventured away from teaching truth. Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

When I came to my current church we were undeclared but Independent. About 2 years ago we decided to embrace our Baptist heritage and added Independent Baptist to our sign out front.

The Word of God
We believe the Bible is the divinely inspired Word of God in its entirety, written by men as they were moved by the Holy Spirit, and that it is the sole authority for the Christian's faith and conduct. The King James Version of the Bible is the official translation used by the church for teaching and preaching. (2 Timothy 3.16-17; 2 Peter 1.20-21)

The Godhead
We believe in a personal God, who is one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We believe they are equal in every divine perfection, each executing distinct, but harmonious offices in the work of Redemption. God is infinitely holy, being by His own nature incapable of sin, and absolutely sovereign working all things after the counsel of His own will. (Gen. 1:1; Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19; John 1:13, 4:24, 10:30; Rom. 8:28, 9:11; II Cor. 13:14; Eph. 1:5)

God the Father
We believe that God the Father is the all wise and sovereign ruler of all creation, who sent the Son to be the Savior of the world. He is the Creator of all and the Father of those who have accepted redemption through His Son

God the Son
We believe that Jesus Christ was conceived of the Holy Spirit and was born of Mary, a virgin, in order that He might reveal God and redeem sinful men; that He is both the Son of God and God the Son. (Isa. 7.14; John 1.1-2; Gal. 4.4-5; Phil. 2.5-8)

God the Holy Spirit
We believe that the Holy Spirit is a divine Person, equal with God the Father and God the Son and of the same nature. It is He who convicts of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment. He is the Restrainer of the Evil One until God's purpose is fulfilled. He bears witness to the truth of the Gospel and is the agent in the new birth, baptizing all true believers into the Body of Christ, sealing them until the day of redemption. (John 16.8-11; Rom. 8-9; 1 Cor. 12.12-14; Eph. 4.30)

Creation
We believe that God created the universe in six literal, 24-hour days. We reject any form of evolution, including Theistic Evolution, as an unscriptural theory of origins. (Gen. 1-2)

Man
We believe that man was created in the image and after the likeness of God, but he by voluntary transgression fell from his sinless and happy estate. The resulting consequences are that all men are now sinners not by constraint, but by choice and are therefore under the just condemnation of God, without excuse or defense. (Gen. 1.26-27; Rom. 3.22-23; Eph. 2.1-3)

Salvation
We believe that the salvation of sinners is wholly of grace through faith and that Jesus is the only way of salvation. We believe that the Gospel makes the blessings of salvation free and that nothing prevents the salvation of the greatest sinner but his own inherent depravity and voluntary rejection of the Gospel. (John 1.12; Eph. 1.7, 2.8-10)

Eternal Security
We believe that those who receive Jesus Christ as Savior are eternally secure. Their security rests in the finished work of Jesus Christ and all of the redeemed are kept by God's power and are thus secure in Christ forever. (John 6.37-40; Rom. 8.1; 1 Pet. 1.4-5)

Heaven & Hell
We believe Heaven to be a real and actual place. It is where the throne of God is, where Jesus is now, and where all the saved will be forever. (Matt. 6.9; Heb. 8.1) Likewise, we believe Hell to be a real and actual place. It is the abode of the soul and spirit of departed unbelievers. It is a place of torment and fire. It is the lake of fire prepared for Satan and his angels. (Luke 16.22-31; Rev. 20.11-14)

Christ's Resurrection
We believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, in His ascension into heaven, and in His present life there as High Priest and Advocate. (Acts 1.1-11; Hebrews 8.1)

Second Coming of Christ
We believe in the catching away of the Church, which is the “Blessed Hope” of the believer. It is the personal, pre-tribulational, pre-millennial, imminent return of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ when He will come in the sky to gather His Bride, the Church, unto Himself. We also believe in the physical return of Christ in His Glory, at the end of the seven-year tribulation, to rule with a rod of iron, and to establish and execute His kingdom on earth for a thousand years. At the end of the millennial kingdom, Christ will judge Satan and his fallen angels along with all the lost at the Great White Throne, from whence He will cast them all into the Lake of Fire for all eternity. Christ will then make a New Heaven and a New Earth, where the saved of every dispensation will dwell with Him forever. (Ps. 89.3-4; Dan. 2.31-45; 1 Thess. 1.10, 4.13-18)

Scripture Ordinances
We believe that the Spiritual ordinances of the church are Baptism by immersion and the Lord's Supper; that they are to be administered to believers only as a symbol of their belief in the death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, and as a testimony to the world of that belief and of their death, burial, and resurrection with Him; and that the Lord's Supper should be partaken by believers only to show forth His death, "till He come." (1 Corinthians 11.24-25)

The Church
We believe that the visible church is a congregation of baptized believers practicing the New Testament principles, believing its doctrines, observing its ordinances, and exercising its autonomy. We believe it is the responsibility of the local church to propagate the Gospel to the world. Every church and Christian should have a part in the ministry. (Matt. 16.16-19)

Abortion
We believe human life begins at conception and that the unborn child is a living human being. Abortion constitutes the unjustified, unexcused taking of unborn human life. Abortion is murder. We reject any teaching that abortion of pregnancies due to rape, incest, birth defects, gender selection, or population control, or for the mental well being of the mother are acceptable. (Job. 3.16; Ps. 51.5, 139.14-16; Lk. 1.44)

Missions
We believe that God has given the church a great commission to proclaim the gospel to all nations. As ambassadors for Christ, we must use all available means to go to the foreign nations with the gospel. We will admonish each member to pray for missions, give toward missions, go and accomplish missionary service when possible, and participate in sending missionaries to reach the lost. (Matt. 28.19-20; Mk 16.15; Acts 1.8)

The Word of God

I believe the original texts are the divinely inspired Word of God in its entirety, written by men as they were moved by the Holy Spirit, and that it is the sole authority for the Christian's faith and conduct. I believe the King James Version of the Bible is the preserved Word of God for teaching and preaching to English speaking people. This is what I will use when I quote scripture. I believe other English translations contain the Word of God including the latest Roman Church, Douay, authorized version, The New American Bible, Saint Joseph Edition. (2 Timothy 3.16-17; 2 Peter 1.20-21)

Besides the above...I cannot submit to memory the newer EVs. It's too much like casual conversation which, lends to discard or minimalize a great percentage when someone is speaking. We have to remember this is God speaking to us and answering questions we have so, casual, discard, or minimalism are not options. The KJB makes me pause and think about the meaning also; in many cases I look up meaning. It causes me to meditate on God's Word and I know that pleases Him. (2 Timothy 3:15)

What is it that you see wrong with having a flag, or something per say to identify you with God? Seems that would be more honorable that flying the flag of this United States, and I was thinking, seems the Christians ought to fly their flag above the flag of this united Stater, not below it, and not level with it.

This old song speaks of His banner.

Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,
with the cross of Jesus going on before.
Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe;
forward into battle see his banners go!

At the sign of triumph Satan's host doth flee;
on then, Christian soldiers, on to victory!
Hell's foundations quiver at the shout of praise;
brothers, lift your voices, loud your anthems raise.

Like a mighty army moves the church of God;
brothers, we are treading where the saints have trod.
We are not divided, all one body we,
one in hope and doctrine, one in charity.

Crowns and thrones may perish, kingdoms rise and wane,
but the church of Jesus constant will remain.
Gates of hell can never gainst that church prevail;
we have Christ's own promise, and that cannot fail.

Onward then, ye people, join our happy throng,
blend with ours your voices in the triumph song.
Glory, laud, and honor unto Christ the King,
this through countless ages men and angels sing.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your post and statement of faith/doctrine. I was inspired by it.

Jessica

The Word of God

The Godhead

God the Father

God the Son

God the Holy Spirit

Creation

Man

Salvation

Eternal Security

Heaven & Hell

Christ's Resurrection

Second Coming of Christ

Scripture Ordinances

The Church

Abortion

Missions

The Word of God