• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Why do you suppose that people continue such false "prophets" as Hal Lendsey? These individuals continue to make "predictions" which are obviously false. When they fail, these individuals simply change their dates and have the same people fall right back into line. Why?

• Members

Because they're blinded by the god of this world. After all, most professing Christians aren't saved, and I find it hard to believe all of these false prophets and stuff are too...
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14.

Do you think that it could be that people just find it easier to believe a lie rather than the truth?

• Members

As Joel said above, it's much easier to watch tv and/or video as opposed to getting into the Word and listening to the truth from one's preacher. All too many people today want things now and want things the easy way. Sadly many professing Christians will leave a sound church where the truth is preached if they get their toes stepped on and are faced with their sin(s). Many would rather watch and listen to the smooth talkers (ie. Joel Osteen and others) so they can "feel good" about themselves.

I myself am thankful the God stayed with me and led me to my current church where I hear sound doctrine and have had the experience to go to men's retreats and hear some "in your face, smash-mouth" preaching.

• Members

Why do you suppose that people continue such false "prophets" as Hal Lendsey? These individuals continue to make "predictions" which are obviously false. When they fail, these individuals simply change their dates and have the same people fall right back into line. Why?

Does making a "prediction" mean you are a false prophet unless you claim the prediction is from God?

• Members

Yes, and this is especially true since Scripture clearly states that NO ONE knows the time but God the Father.

Yes but, they say we don't know the day nor hour, but we can know the year -
e.g. I believe Lindsey's calculation went like this:
Israel got their land back in 1948
add 40 years for a generation
subtract 7 for the tribulation
rapture is in 1981

The logic that we are in the last generation before Christ's return is based on the "signs of the times" including:
Israel,
technology making the mark of the beast possible
communications making a one world government feasible
Bible translation into 1000s of languages
2 Tim. 3

I do not consider any of these of eschatological or apocalyptic significance - we are commanded to live in a state of readiness & service - watch & pray.

• Members

rapture is in 1981

The logic that we are in the last generation before Christ's return is based on the "signs of the times" including:
Israel,
2 Tim. 3

I do not consider any of these of eschatological or apocalyptic significance - we are commanded to live in a state of readiness & service - watch & pray.

I believe we are saying the same thing here. Date setting, which includes year settings, is unbiblical and therefore wrong and those who engage in such are false teachers.

• Members

rapture is in 1981

Israel,
2 Tim. 3

If you, are anyone else sets the year, them your predicting when Jesus is coming, the Scriptures are very clear, it will happen at a time we think not.

Mt 24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
Lu 12:40 Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.

So yes, it would be wrong to even predict the year of Jesus' coming.

When someone ask us when we think Jesus is coming our answer should be something to this point, at a time we think not, we should never predict it in any manner outside of that.