• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music

coc333

• Members

Our music is piano, we have an organ but no one to play it. Our music is the old fashion stuff (biblical word). And as to the canned music, our pianist as of tomorrow will be playing in three churches, in 3 different towns and2 different states at the same time. Because these 2 other churches have no musicians. Piano players are becoming few and far between. Organ players even worse. It is my understanding from history that the Baptist church a couple of hundred years ago did not allow any music in their churches. They started it out of defense, because the other churches had music and people were leaving the Baptist churches to go hear the music. Kind of like what we have today with the CCM. I am not condoning the use of it, we, I, won't allow it in our church, but like so many other things, we are seeing the world infect and change the church.

• Members

There are two Churches of Christ, those who have music and those who do not.

In my local church:
Musical instrument accompaniment is just fine with me as well as solo music on stringed instruments. The important aspect of a music ministry is to glorify God and minister to the hearers. I do not enjoy all forms of music, I have a tradional Christian hymn prefererence with lyrics based on scripture. We have a piano and a clavinova at my church. The piano is most often played by our music leader. When he is not at the piano he is at the clavinova. When he is not present or knows he won't be present, he plays and records music to be played back on the clavinova. I've heard our singing without background music and we do make a joyful noise however, the background music seems to improve our vocal abilities.

I've never known of a Church of Christ church to have music. Is this something new? For a few months while I was in university a couple of friends and I attended services at a Church of Christ because they were the only church nearby that actually preached and taught from Scripture. I know the Church of Christ has some wrong and/or odd teachings, but this particular pastor never preached on any Church of Christ distinctives, only right from the Word of God with emphasis upon applying the Word to our lives. We also attended a men's Bible study led by this pastor during those few months and he taught biblical manhood, becoming men of God. (to be clear, I do not endorse the Church of Christ and wouldn't be a member of such a church, but for those few months and with that particular church/pastor, attending there for those few months was a blessing)

• Members

There are two Churches of Christ, those who have music and those who do not.

In my local church:
Musical instrument accompaniment is just fine with me as well as solo music on stringed instruments. The important aspect of a music ministry is to glorify God and minister to the hearers. I do not enjoy all forms of music, I have a tradional Christian hymn prefererence with lyrics based on scripture. We have a piano and a clavinova at my church. The piano is most often played by our music leader. When he is not at the piano he is at the clavinova. When he is not present or knows he won't be present, he plays and records music to be played back on the clavinova. I've heard our singing without background music and we do make a joyful noise however, the background music seems to improve our vocal abilities.

There are those congregations of the church of Christ who have chosen to bring in mechanical instruments. While many of them will still call themselves churches of Christ, they have fallen away and are not faithful to the Word. This of course is not anything new since we can see it in the Word and can see it throughout history, but it is sad.

While I personally enjoy mechanical instruments (I play one myself), I do believe that it can not even come close to the voices of Christians singing together. I say that with the realization that not everyone can sing well, but it is what is pleasing to God that is important.

• Members

I've never known of a Church of Christ church to have music. Is this something new? For a few months while I was in university a couple of friends and I attended services at a Church of Christ because they were the only church nearby that actually preached and taught from Scripture. I know the Church of Christ has some wrong and/or odd teachings, but this particular pastor never preached on any Church of Christ distinctives, only right from the Word of God with emphasis upon applying the Word to our lives. We also attended a men's Bible study led by this pastor during those few months and he taught biblical manhood, becoming men of God. (to be clear, I do not endorse the Church of Christ and wouldn't be a member of such a church, but for those few months and with that particular church/pastor, attending there for those few months was a blessing)

Sadly there are congregations who have fallen away by adding mechanical instruments. If you study church history this has happened on more than one occasion. It happend in the US when the Christian Church/Disciples of Christ fell away from the truth. We see some doing so today. It breaks my heart.

The church of Christ (sound congregations) preach only from the word of God. (This does not mean we will not use such aides as Lexicons etc) It is our only source of authority. It is our goal to speak where the Bible speaks and to remain silent where it is silent..

For the record. The preacher in the church of Christ is not "the pastor." The word pastor refers to elders/bishops/shepherds/overseers. Of course, elders can serve the congregation as a preacher but at that point he is still only ONE of the "pastors."

• Members

The churches of Christ of the old days do not have musical instruments in their churches, now there be some churches that have branched off the churches of Christ that do have music. Off hand one is 'The First Christian Church.'

Yet let me add, among the churches of Christ, just like among the Baptist Churches, you have some churches that have gotten very liberal that have thrown out the old way, and let the world invade their church.

Plus you have the very liberal Churches of Christ of which our present president was a member, this church had nothing to do with the churches of Christ that Alexandra Campbell was a part of.

coc333, Am I right?

• Members

The churches of Christ of the old days do not have musical instruments in their churches, now there be some churches that have branched off the churches of Christ that do have music. Off hand one is 'The First Christian Church.'

Yet let me add, among the churches of Christ, just like among the Baptist Churches, you have some churches that have gotten very liberal that have thrown out the old way, and let the world invade their church.

Plus you have the very liberal Churches of Christ of which our present president was a member, this church had nothing to do with the churches of Christ that Alexandra Campbell was a part of.

coc333, Am I right?

Sound churches of Christ do not have mechanical instruments. If we study church history since the restoration period, we do see those such as the first Christian Church that did fall away over the use of mechanical instruments. Though, the real issue is more broad than the sole issue of the use of mechanical instruments. It really gets back to the issue of Biblical authority. It focusses on specific issues such as the use of mechanical instruments and woman in leadership roles such as preachers, elders etc. It always comes back to Biblical authority in one way or another. It is sad to see.

I am curious who your current presedent is.

• Members

Sound churches of Christ do not have mechanical instruments. If we study church history since the restoration period, we do see those such as the first Christian Church that did fall away over the use of mechanical instruments. Though, the real issue is more broad than the sole issue of the use of mechanical instruments. It really gets back to the issue of Biblical authority. It focusses on specific issues such as the use of mechanical instruments and woman in leadership roles such as preachers, elders etc. It always comes back to Biblical authority in one way or another. It is sad to see.

I am curious who your current presedent is.

I have the feeling your not speaking about the president of this United States, so I do not know what your asking.

• Members

I have the feeling your not speaking about the president of this United States, so I do not know what your asking.

Ah, you were speaking of OBama. He is/was "United Churches of Christ" which is something totally different. As far as I know, they have nothing to do with the church of Christ.