• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Wandering...

• Members

Here's a story I wrote sometime back. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it, but mostly I hope it helps to point someone in the right direction, and give meaning to their life.

Wandering…
(the testimony of a man)
An Allegory

I have spent much of my youth merely wandering in a wilderness of sin. In my heart, I crossed the barren desert; with parched tongue, and cracked lips, I sought something, but never really knew what it was I sought. I soared the clouds with wonderful grace, as free as a bird, and literally felt the hand of God beckon to me to come home, but I kept searching--kept looking for that “something” that would fulfill my heart, and bring me joy and peace. I ran from God. I tread the snowy mountaintops, with chattering teeth and frozen feet, and well nigh died in the search, but felt compelled to go on, and go on I did. With breath of steel in its most stubborn zeal, I tasted the wine of luxury, and skimmed the cream off the top of life; I found folly in all the riches of this world, and still had that emptiness inside. I have scraped the bottom of the barrel too, and lived on the streets as a beggar, and slept on the cold ground of winter; I ate from the garbage of others, and lived as a vagrant for many a year, but still had to continue my search. Where, oh where is the peace that man seeks? Where does one find true joy and satisfaction in this world? It isn’t here; we are all wanderers and vagabonds. The search is a never ending battle, and one that a man cannot win on his own…so I aligned myself with others, I sought out the dregs of society, and basked in the lusts of the flesh all to no avail. I then enjoined myself to a church, where I thought that surely I would end my quest, but they were much the same as the others--every man seeking his own gain, and searching his own heart…for truth. Yes, I wandered far from God, but little did I know that He is at the end of every road, and awaits me with open arms.

Yea, my search took me to many lands, and many peoples, but it always seemed to end in frustration and defeat. Then, upon passing an obscure door, in an obscure place, I entered to see what it had to offer me. I found a treasure there! I found the peace that had eluded me for so long; I saw joy afar off, and knew that it was attainable at last; and I gave myself to the door, and clung to the threshold of mercy. All my wanderings had taken a toll on me, and I had regrets that could not be resolved in the flesh, but I found grace inside that door, and stood upright as a man, and walked in the confidence of a mighty man’s strength. I soon reflected on my journeys, and discovered that joy and happiness is not found in “things” whether in abundance, or in poverty; it is not in environment, whether paradise or the bedlam of a “simple life”, but it is found in the heart of a man that has reconciled himself with God. No matter where we go, or to whom we seek, or even if we strive to do what we can, we can never find the true value of life in this world. It serves merely as a hope for the next world; A “proving grounds” for the hereafter, and the true test of faith. I have since ended my quest, for I have found peace, and joy unspeakable, and rest now in the bosom of my Lord. No longer do I need the liquor or the drugs; no longer do I look for fulfillment in the wicked pleasures of debauchery and sensuality, but I now look to an everlasting Savior whose grace is sufficient for me. I praise the Lord that He has ended my wandering, and set my feet upon the Rock; I thank Him for the solid foundation that I sought, and the joy and strength it affords me. Blessed be the name of the Lord forever and ever, amen.

Been there

I’ve been down the road of evil,
And past the gates of hell;
I’ve mocked at lofty goodness
As my woeful heart will tell;
I’ve tickled every fancy,
And chased the elusive dream;
I’ve licked the bottom of the barrel,
And lapped the delicate cream.

I’ve fought many battles,
I’ve known the enemies’ fears;
I’ve laughed the laugh of victory,
And cried with bitter tears:
I’ve been up and down the road of life,
I’ve sparked many schemes;
I’ve “been there” and back again,
And heard life’s woeful screams.

I’ve played with sin on every hand,
Amid the sorrows and the cries;
Followed the winsome ways of man,
And lifted up these wretched eyes;
And looked to Jesus, that Blessed Hope,
Now that weary life has changed,
‘Twas He that taught my heart to cope,
My thoughts, my dreams, He re-arranged.

In all I’ve done and all I’ve and seen,
With great rejoicing I can say,
My life is purged, I’ve been made clean,
Now I live to serve another day;
With a heart that’s helpless on its own,
And with a joyful heart of love;
I’ve been strengthened these years I’ve grown,
‘Cause I’ve looked to the Lord above.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Wow, thanks for sharing this! Been reading and medititing on Ecclesiastes lately, and this sure fits, and it is what I need to hear today.