• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

In Essentials Unity

• Members

I know they are, I have been asked by Pentecostal Catholics, Jehovah Witness's, and another Pentecostal group if they could rent our facilities for their services. No, No way, and Definitely Not, was always the answer, we do not agree on doctrine(s) and it would be wrong for me to allow them to use it because it would appear to condone their beliefs.

I can eat next to them, I can dig a ditch along side them, but I cannot condone, preach beside or allow them to associate themselves with me/us. Where do the lines stop being erased and the one world religion starts.

The Hindus believe in 3 million +/- gods and they will include Jesus in them. Is that non-essential?

:amen:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Essential to what? When it comes to OBeying the word of God there is absolutely nothing that can be labeled as a non-essential. Example:

Ephesians 5:11, "And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them."

2 Thessalonians 3:14, "And if any man OBey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed."

There are many that are having fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness (such as those that support contemporary Christian music - which is only one example). In order for me to be OBedient to the word of God I must separate myself from these disOBedient brethren and have no company with them.

Biblical unity is based upon OBedience to the truth of the word of God.

1 John 1:7, "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."

I would like to point out that very few of us are willing to listen to a preacher who gets too specific. We are generally comfortable with general statements. The rule of thumb in our generation is that a preacher should not give specific examples, illustrations, or applications in regard to the teachings of the scriptures.

As far as I am concerned, a belief in the statement “in essentials unity; in non-essentials liberty; in all things charity” is the equivalent of being a new-evangelical compromiser who reinterprets scripture to make himself feel good about his disOBedient and rebellious lifestyle.

• Members
I would like to point out that very few of us are willing to listen to a preacher who gets too specific. We are generally comfortable with general statements. The rule of thumb in our generation is that a preacher should not give specific examples, illustrations, or applications in regard to the teachings of the scriptures.

As far as I am concerned, a belief in the statement “in essentials unity; in non-essentials liberty; in all things charity” is the equivalent of being a new-evangelical compromiser who reinterprets scripture to make himself feel good about his disOBedient and rebellious lifestyle.

Agreed. No one cares if you preach against "sin" if you don't say what it is.

It is indeed a horrid, destructive idea...
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14.

• Members

Now I know why the emergent church crowd don't stick around when I preach.
Right is right, wrong is wrong, sin is sin, and there is only One Way to Heaven.

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

• Members

Essential to what? When it comes to OBeying the word of God there is absolutely nothing that can be labeled as a non-essential. Example:

Ephesians 5:11, "And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them."

2 Thessalonians 3:14, "And if any man OBey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed."

Those Scriptures are clear - there are "essentials" that must not be compromised.

There are many that are having fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness (such as those that support contemporary Christian music - which is only one example). In order for me to be OBedient to the word of God I must separate myself from these disOBedient brethren and have no company with them.

Biblical unity is based upon OBedience to the truth of the word of God.

1 John 1:7, "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."

The statement will not allow unity with those who allow & follow a "disOBedient and rebellious lifestyle."

What do we do at work when a pentecostal is witnessing to a workmate? Denounce the Penty, or unite with the witness. Our policy has been to unite in informal fellowship, prayer, missionary support, Bible study, but eschew official, church fellowship.

• Members

Our pastor typically ties up his sermons with practical applications. Generally he has a list of things we should consider, things to examine in our own lives. This is followed by examples of some practical ways we can apply the Word of God in our own lives.

With regards to dealing with those who are my brothers/sisters in Christ but hold to some views/teachings I don't believe are scriptural...I would say it's somewhat similar to what Covenanter said, with no official connections, no actual yoking, and depending upon just what the differences are would determine how closely we could associate at various levels. This is only speaking with regards to those who do seem to be my brothers/sisters in Christ. For those who are professing Christians but don't seem to have a clear grasp of salvation matters, don't seem to showing any evidence of salvation, I would view more as someone in need of helping to come to Christ.

• Members

From previous post:
What do we do at work when a pentecostal is witnessing to a workmate? Denounce the Penty, or unite with the witness. Our policy has been to unite in informal fellowship, prayer, missionary support, Bible study, but eschew official, church fellowship.

How do we unite in a witness that is false, Pentecostals teach works salvation, if we unite with any that teach falsely we destroy our witness and are back to "Many ways, what ever floats your boat." Do we then say the God of Islam is the same God we worship? Buddha, Sheva, Joey Smith, Gen. Russell, on and on and on. Pretty soon it is why bother.

Edited by Bro Jim

• Members

From previous post:

How do we unite in a witness that is false, Pentecostals teach works salvation, if we unite with any that teach falsely we destroy our witness and are back to "Many ways, what ever floats your boat." Do we then say the God of Islam is the same God we worship? Buddha, Sheva, Joey Smith, Gen. Russell, on and on and on. Pretty soon it is why bother.

I don't think all Pentacostals teach a works salvation. I've know a few and they were solid where salvation was concerned. This isn't an endorsement of pentys, but from what I've seen they can vary greatly in many areas.

I think the main point of the question was that if a Christian we have differnces with is properly witnessing to someone and we are standing there, would we join in the witnessing or would we denounce the other Christian as one who holds to some false beliefs?

• Members

I don't think all Pentacostals teach a works salvation. I've know a few and they were solid where salvation was concerned. This isn't an endorsement of pentys, but from what I've seen they can vary greatly in many areas.

I think the main point of the question was that if a Christian we have differnces with is properly witnessing to someone and we are standing there, would we join in the witnessing or would we denounce the other Christian as one who holds to some false beliefs?

I may concede to there may be a Pentecostal that doesn't teach a works salvation, I haven't found one yet, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. From my experience little as it may be, all (Pentecostals) I have ever talk to or deeply work with on the subject brought it to, more than grace (evidences), and that you can lose it if you don't work at keeping it. I'm a Baptist, and I believe that salvation is by grace through the Blood of Jesus Christ, and if that is the belief, that one has then okay.

• Members

Got to go, electrical prOBlem at the church. But gonna dig some ditches with a Baptist electrian. icon_biggrin.gif

I trust they will fill with water overnight.
2Ki 3:16 And he said, Thus saith the LORD, Make this valley full of ditches.
17 For thus saith the LORD, Ye shall not see wind, neither shall ye see rain; yet that valley shall be filled with water, Edited by Covenanter

• Members

I may concede to there may be a Pentecostal that doesn't teach a works salvation, I haven't found one yet, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. From my experience little as it may be, all (Pentecostals) I have ever talk to or deeply work with on the subject brought it to, more than grace (evidences), and that you can lose it if you don't work at keeping it. I'm a Baptist, and I believe that salvation is by grace through the Blood of Jesus Christ, and if that is the belief, that one has then okay.

I said "Penty" for the point - could be any other denomination, many teach salvation by grace through faith in Christ alone, but may be sprinklers, paedOBaptists, amil, episcopalians whatever. Your colleague is preaching Christ.

Phl 1:18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

How many come to salvation with a comprehensive understanding of IFB theology?

• Members

From previous post:

I do not agree that all pentecostals teach a works based salvation. Some, such as Catholic pentecostals do, some such as Baptist peentecostals don't. However they all add to the Word of God.

• Members

I have returned, had to eat, so I would have the energy to poke at the keys on my comp.

Witnessing right, I will join in (which will be more than likely in prayer). Witnessing wrong, I believe it would hurt the witness for Christ to interrupt and tell someone, someone is wrong. I must then pray that the Spirit will intercede. I will continue to talk to others of other denominations about salvation, and if they are wrong I will with the Spirit leading show them the Biblical way, and as with anyone else they have to decide for or against.

The original topic had to do with the buying into false doctrine for the sake of unity.

What are essentials? I think this is a topic for another area.

• Members

Many portions of the Scripture can be intepreted and applied differently by different people. The essentials to salvation cannot be interpreted differently. There are essentals to the Christian faith. However, many issues are interpreted different ways be God fearing people. If we say we must agree on everything, then whose interpretation are we going to apply? What if we cannot agree on an interpretation or doctrine? Are we to part ways, or agree to disagree?

Some examples:

Muisc. I see nowhere in the Scripture that says we must use one style of music over another. Others believe taht only accapella music is permissible in church services since that is how the early chuch operated. Others say we must only use texts from the Scripture set to music. Should we part ways over this? It may be a reason for different churches and denominations, but I see no reason for it to split and divide Christian fellowship.

Calvanism v. Armenian views. Both are fully supported by Scripture. This is a mystery. How can God be all knowing, which he is, and not predestine some to salvation? If he knows all things, doesn't that mean he he has appointed some to go to heaven and some to hell? The Scripture says that all who believe will have eternal life. But it also says that God hardened Pharoh's heart and predestines us in Christ to salvation. What does all of this mean? People can have divergent views on this, and may and has given rise to denominations, but I can't say one is right and one is wrong. Both views are supported in Scripture. I tend to think no one has it fully figured out, and it will always remain a mystery. But if the essentials are there, which of these doctrines is right really does not matter. It doesn't. So while it may be fun to discusss, why do we let it divide fellowship with other believers and other denominations?

Baptism. This is a big one. Do we sprinkle, pour or immerse? I believe immersion is the best practice. However, those who sprinkle or pour have Scriptural support as well. They tend to see the new testament act of baptism as a carryover of Old Testament Jewish practices applied to the church. For example, the priests in the OT would sprinkle blood on the alter as a cleansing ritual to represent the purification that was taking place in the hearts of the Jewish people. They see it as God pours out his Holy Spirit on us, which cleanses our hearts. Symbolically, water is poured on us as a symbol of that purification. They point out that when people in the early church in Acts were baptized in households, they did not have bath tubs or large places to immerse, so sprinkling or pouring was the most likely mode. I'm not arguing for it, as I beleive immersion is the best practice when practical, which it largely is in our day. I am just saying that this is not an essential that should cause some to say that others are not Christian or are heretical in their practice, when in fact, there are very good reasons and support in the Scriputre for their practice. I may disagree with that interpretation, but I recognize and understand why they do it the way they do, and can still have fellowship with my brothers and sisters who do.

Wine. Some are teatotalers, others are not. Jesus made wine as a miracle at a wedding. I have no prOBlem with drinking an occassional glass of wine. Others do. That is fine and good, as I can see a valid interpretation in Scriputre for both positions. However, I do not see this as a reason to divide fellowship.

What should divide fellowship? If one denies that Jesus was God, if one believes that man is not inherently sinful and in need of a Savior, if one believes that salvation cannot come through Christ, or that he did not die, was not burried and did not raise again from the dead. Really the Apostle's Creed sums up the essentials of faith to me.

I would be careful thinking Jesus turned water into alcoholic wine, He might give you a God sized beat down for believing that. With that said, I can still be friends with those that drink but I would not be seen at a bar with them. Additionally, I don't know of anyone sprinkled or water poured in regards to baptism in the Bible. While, I understand the arguments you pose, remember what baptism is supposed to represent...the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. I've never seen anyone just throw a handful of dirt on a casket at a burial.

Take these links into consideration:

http://www.fbbc.com/messages/one_step/one_step_34.htm

THE BIBLE TEACHES TOTAL ABSTINENCE
The Rechabites in Jeremiah 35 were forbidden to drink wine.

Leviticus 10:8-9, “And the LORD spake unto Aaron, saying, Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations:”

Numbers 6:1-3, “And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the LORD: He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.”

Judges 13:4-14, “Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing: For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come on his head: for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God from the womb: and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines. Then the woman came and told her husband, saying, A man of God came unto me, and his countenance was like the countenance of an angel of God, very terrible: but I asked him not whence he was, neither told he me his name: But he said unto me, Behold, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and now drink no wine nor strong drink, neither eat any unclean thing: for the child shall be a Nazarite to God from the womb to the day of his death. Then Manoah entreated the LORD, and said, O my Lord, let the man of God which thou didst send come again unto us, and teach us what we shall do unto the child that shall be born. And God hearkened to the voice of Manoah; and the angel of God came again unto the woman as she sat in the field: but Manoah her husband was not with her. And the woman made haste, and ran, and shewed her husband, and said unto him, Behold, the man hath appeared unto me, that came unto me the other day. And Manoah arose, and went after his wife, and came to the man, and said unto him, Art thou the man that spakest unto the woman? And he said, I am. And Manoah said, Now let thy words come to pass. How shall we order the child, and how shall we do unto him? And the angel of the LORD said unto Manoah, Of all that I said unto the woman let her beware. She may not eat of any thing that cometh of the vine, neither let her drink wine or strong drink, nor eat any unclean thing: all that I commanded her let her OBserve.”

Daniel 1:8, “But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.”

Luke 1:15, “For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb.”

Galatians 5:21, “Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”

If alcoholism is a disease, it is the only disease that lets people willingly destroy their own brain cells, give themselves cirrhosis of the liver, induces murder, family beatings, death on the highways, adultery, and divorce.

WARNINGS
Proverbs 31:4-5, “It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink: Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.”

Isaiah 5:11, 22-23, “Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them! Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink: Which justify the wicked for reward, and take away the righteousness of the righteous from him!”

Habakkuk 2:15, “Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!”

There is a curse on people who offer liquor to others. If you traced down the Joseph Kennedy family tragedies after bootlegging liquor during Prohibition, you would see how evident that scripture is. Joseph had a stroke, Rosemary was retarded, Joe, Jr. was killed in World War II, Kathleen’s husband died in the war while she died in an air crash, John F. Kennedy and Jackie lost their two babies, then he was assassinated, as was his brother BOBby. John Jr. died in an airplane crash.

Exodus 20:5-6, “Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.”

JESUS NEVER TOUCHED LIQUOR
Matthew 26:27, “And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;”

Mark 14:23, “And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it.”

Luke 22:20, “Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.”

1 Corinthians 11:25, “After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.”

Fermented wine is never connected with the Lord’s Supper. It was called juice. It was called the cup of the vine. Leaven and yeast were a picture of sin. Jesus never sinned. He knew the commands in the Old Testament against liquor and never broke one. Therefore, His first miracle simply was turning water into grape juice.

CONCLUSION
Christians are not to look at, drink, sell, make, or deliver liquor. Television commercials and billboards of liquor should not be viewed. It is time Christians OBey God’s Word and forget what society says is acceptable.

http://www.fbbc.com/messages/alcohol_evil.htm

1. Genesis 9:20-26 - Here is the first mentioned drunkenness in the Bible. Note the concomitant immorality, - behavior ever since inseparably associated with alcohol consumption.

2. Genesis 19:30-38- In this instance drinking resulted in Lot's debauchery of his own daughters.

3. Genesis 27:25 - Isaac was drinking wine when he blessed JacOB.

4. Leviticus 10:9 - Here is an express command not to drink.

5. Numbers 6:3 - No Nazarite should ever drink wine or liquor.

6. Deuteronmy 21:20 - Drinking leads to stubbornness, rebellion, and gluttony by young men; and brings dishonor to parents.

7. Deuteronmy 29:2-6 - Abstinence assures better knowledge of God.

8. Judges 13:4,7,14 - Samson's mother; an example to all womanhood, was commanded to drink no wine. Was alcohol recognized even then as a protoplasmic poison, injuring posterity in the parents?

9. 1 Samuel 1:14-15 - Hannah, an example of all honored motherhood, practiced total abstinence.

10. 1 Samuel 25:36-38 - Nabal, a rich but churlish man who opposed David, died at the end of a drunken spree.

11. 2 Samuel 13:28-29 - Amnon, while in a drunken brawl, was murdered by his brother Absalom.

12. 2 Samuel 11:13 - Only by strong drink could David lead Uriah into a trap.

13. 1 Kings 16:8-10 - While a king was "drinking himself drunk" in his own home, one of his captains conspired against him and slew him.

14. 1 Kings 20:13-21 - No drinking army can hope to win battles. While Ben-hadad and thirty-two other kings were drinking themselves drunk in their pavilions, a small band of Israel's men fell upon the Syrians and put them to flight.

15. Esther 1:5-22 - Drink wrecks homes and separates man and wife. At a drinking party which lasted a week, King Ahasuerus drunkenly subjected his queen to the beastly gaze of inebriated nOBles and thus brought on the separation of the royal husband and wife.

16. JOB 1:13-19 - The children of JOB were drinking wine when blown away in a great wind.

17. Proverbs 4:17 - Through drinking the wicked become violent. They are bad enough at best, but drink leads them to violence.

18. Proverbs 20:1 - No wise man will take wine or liquor.

19. Proverbs 21:17; 23:21 - Strong drink leads to poverty.

20. Proverbs 23:19-21 - Young men should shun the company of drunkards.

21. Proverbs 23:29-30 - Strong drink produces woe, sorrow, contentions, babbling, wounds without cause, redness of eyes.

22. Proverbs 23:31 - We are urged not to look upon intoxicants.

23. Proverbs 23:32 - The Word of God says it hurts every one who drinks: it bites like a snake and stings like an adder.

24. Proverbs 23:33 - It fills men's minds with adulterous and impure thoughts.

25. Proverbs 23:33 - It produces vain talk "every idle word" of which must be accounted for at judgement.

26. Proverbs 23:34 - It brings on insecurity.

27. Proverbs 23:35 - It brings on insensibility, which paves the way for every evil and dangerous act of the drunkard.

28. Proverbs 23:35 - It is habit-forming, one drink always calls for another.

29. Proverbs 31:4-5 - It is not for Kings, nor presidents, nor officials to drink.

30. Proverbs 31:6-7 - The only sanction given in Old Testament times for the use of strong drink was that it might be used as a medicine or anesthetic for those about to die. Let not one construe this as a command to take strong drink. We now have far better medicines and anesthetics than whiskey, wine or beer.

31. Ecclesiastes 2:3 - The writer of Ecclesiastes tried strong drink, but in the end was forced to acknowledge that it, too, is vanity.

32. Ecclesiastes 10:17 - Blessings are promised to the temperate and abstaining nation.

33. Isaiah 5:11-12 - Woe to the drunkards.

34. Isaiah 5:22 - More woes to them that drink wine.

35. Isaiah 22:13 - Drinking and carnality go together.

36. Isaiah 24:9 - Strong drink bitter to them that drink it.

37. Isaiah 28:1 - Woe to the drunkards of Ephraim.

38. Isaiah 28:3 - The pride of drunkards will be trodden down.

39. Isaiah 28:7 - Prophets and priests erred through drink.

40. Isaiah 28:7 - Prophets and priests put out of the way by drink.

41. Isaiah 28:7 - Prophets and priests finally swallowed up by wine.

42. Isaiah 28:7 - Drinking brings on spiritual blindness.

43. Isaiah 56:9-12 - Rebuke to drinking church leaders.

44. Jeremiah 35:5,6,8,14 - Total abstinence of the Rechabites cited as an example of OBedience on the part of God's people.

45. Ezekiel 44:21 - Priests are not to drink wine.

46. Daniel 1:5,8,16; 10:3 - God honored Daniel because he abstained from the king's wine. Daniel, the man, was true to the home training he had received as a boy.

47. Daniel 5:1 - Belshazzar exhibited an example of a leader who drank and taught his people to drink. What of America's leaders?

48. Daniel 5:2,23 - What becomes of a nation when its women resort to drinking?

49. Daniel 5:5-9, 26-29 - Ruin and downfall is certain to come to nations when their rulers and leaders cause them to drink.

50. Daniel 5:3 - Belshazzar's sacrilege in using sacred temple vessels for liquor glasses.

51. Amos 2:8 - Wine of the condemned.

52. Amos 2:12 - Sin to give liquor to the priests.

53. Amos 4:1 - Oppressors of the poor and needy call for their liquor.

54. Amos 6:6 - Drinkers are not concerned about God, nor about the welfare of the people.

55. Hosea 3:1 - Part of the degradation of Hosea's wife was induced by drink.

56. Hosea 4:11 - Strong drink and immorality go hand in hand.

57. Hosea 7:5 - King and people reproved because of their drinking.

58. Joel 1:5 - Drunkards called to awake from their drinking.

59. Joel 3:3 - Young womanhood sold for the price of strong drink.

60. Nahum 1:10 - Drunkards to be destroyed.

61. Habrews 2:5 - Strong drink is a transgression against God's law.

62. Habrews 2:15 - It is wrong to give one's neighbor strong drink.

63. Habrews 2:16 - Strong drink leads to shame and humiliation.

64. Matthew 24:49 - Drunkards warned against the return of Christ and His judgement.

65. Luke 1:15 - Greatness of John the Baptist linked with his total abstinence.

66. Luke 12:45 - Christ warns against becoming enmeshed in drink evils.

67. Luke 21:34 - Warning against drunkenness and the cares of this life.

68. Romans 13:13 - All are admonished to walk honestly and not in rioting and drunkenness.

69. Romans 14:21 - Drinking will cause one's brother to stumble.

70. 1 Corinthians 11:22 - The Lord's Supper no place for feasting and wine drinking.

71. 1 Corinthians 6:10 - No drunkard shall inherit the Kingdom of God.

72. Galatians 5:21 - Revelers in drunkenness shall not inherit the Kingdom of God.

73. Ephesians 5:18 - Here is a direct command not to become drunk.

74. 1 Thessalonians 5:7 - SOBriety, as opposed to drunkenness, is enjoined upon the Thessalonians.

75. 1 Timothy 3:8 - Deacons must not drink.