• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

These Street Preachers?

• Members

Where are these men from? Their blog http://thewatchmanforchrist.blogspot.com/ list Baptist, "The Trail of Blood" for part of their beliefs. They showed up at a church here in NM, and got into a scuffle with the church. The church hey went to is non-denominational. The have been in the news here twice now the first time they were on private property and got into it with the sheriff's dept.. They are said to 55 chapters across the US.

• Members

I appreciate their courage, and I wish more of us would preach on the street. That being said, we're not told to preach the Everlasting Gospel. That gospel is a Tribulation gospel, and it's all about fearing God because His judgment is coming soon.

That may sound like I'm splitting hairs, but it's very important because that's not what we're told to preach. God's judgment on this nation, or any nation, may or may not be coming soon. We don't know. You preach about the judgment of God coming according to the Everlasting gospel and when nothing happens in 50 years you just made Christians and Christianity look like a bunch of kooks. When the angel preaches it (there's no example of any saints preaching it) in the Tribulation it's not a laughing matter to the lost and no one is going to be calling Christians "kooks".

We're told in the Pauline epistles to preach Christ crucified, the gospel and the focus needs to be on Christ's redeeming work on the cross - the gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is good news to the sinner. Yes, judgment is coming on an individual level to those that reject the gospel in the afterlife, and that most certainly needs to be mentioned as well, but preaching an imminent national judgment will hurt the cause of Christ.

• Members

I thought this was odd under thier doctrinal statement:

"…in the judgment of believers at the Judgment Seat of Christ, including loss of rewards and stripes for the unfaithful,"

Some believers will lose rewards at the judgment seat, some will be saved as by fire.

1Co 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
1Co 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
1Co 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

"Yet so as by fire" means they lose all rewards and have only their salvation.

So what is odd about that?

I agree, we all need to be bolder and go forth and preach Jesus to the world. Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

Oh, I agree with you - absolutely people will lose rewards at the Judgement Seat of Christ!

What I thought was odd was the stripes for the unfaithful part. Jesus Christ bore all our sins at Calvary, no Christian is going to receive stripes in Heaven!

OK, I understand what you mean.

Do you suppose they may mean the lost, if they mean the saved, them they're wrong for they will not receive no stripes. yet the way its worded, it seems they mean the saved that are not faithful.

• Members

Yes they are bold, but their boldness am afraid is going to cause prOBlems for those of us who are trying to do it right. I was wondering if they have showed up in other areas and caused prOBlems, boldness in Christ is great but these guys seem to be being bold in the wrong ways and places.

• Members

Yes they are bold, but their boldness am afraid is going to cause prOBlems for those of us who are trying to do it right. I was wondering if they have showed up in other areas and caused prOBlems, boldness in Christ is great but these guys seem to be being bold in the wrong ways and places.

That may be true, however wherever God's Word is proclaimed among the lost there will be controversy, prOBlems, trouble. And for some it may cost them persecution, even their life, just as it did in the Bible days.

• Members

W go out we go to the corners, flea markets, door knocking, and anytime we want to go on private property, ie. laundry mats, we get permission. I know Paul went into the synagogues, but he was a member. Do we invade other churches? We had some of the Korn children in our parking lot spouting their satanism, rearranged to letters on our reader board sign. There is boldness then there is civility. If Christians want to do it right I with them all the way. Westboro Baptist and there ilk cause trouble for others. This men Watchmen, are getting into fights, physically and verbally.

Edited by Bro Jim

• Members

OK, I understand what you mean.

Do you suppose they may mean the lost, if they mean the saved, them they're wrong for they will not receive no stripes. yet the way its worded, it seems they mean the saved that are not faithful.

I'm pretty sure they mean the saved. I've heard of this kind of thing before, but it doesn't fit with the rest of the Bible.

• Members

W go out we go to the corners, flea markets, door knocking, and anytime we want to go on private property, ie. laundry mats, we get permission. I know Paul went into the synagogues, but he was a member. Do we invade other churches? We had some of the Korn children in our parking lot spouting their satanism, rearranged to letters on our reader board sign. There is boldness then there is civility. If Christians want to do it right I with them all the way. Westboro Baptist and there ilk cause trouble for others. This men Watchmen, are getting into fights, physically and verbally.

hey Bro Jim, I agree with you, but...
your signature seems a little vague--it leaves a lot to interpretation:

"Stay in the Fight, Keep up the Battle, Victory is Coming Soon.James 4:7 "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."

Staying in the fight and keeping up the battle sounds very militant, which is what those guys think they are doing!
Just a thought to consider.

• Members

hey Bro Jim, I agree with you, but...
your signature seems a little vague--it leaves a lot to interpretation:

"Stay in the Fight, Keep up the Battle, Victory is Coming Soon.James 4:7 "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."

Staying in the fight and keeping up the battle sounds very militant, which is what those guys think they are doing!
Just a thought to consider.

Mr. Irishman,
I reckon it does sound like a call to fight, but I reckon that's because it is, as I read Paul's writings he used military terms for what we are to do. Is there a difference in taking ground 1 soul at a time, or being sensational and not winning any souls. When they do what they are doing, who gets the glory or who's Name is hurt. I do't know if you watch the "Free Bible' video, but if them fellas had been there, well Penn wouldn't be saying nice things about Christians. This morning I'm going door to door, I'm going to battle my flesh to go, I'm going up against the Morons, the JWs, and the other false religions I will encounter, besides the dogs, drunks, drugs, gang bangers. So if it sounds militant, then I reckon I am a little for the sake of souls, and the Glory of my Saviour. Or maybe t's because I'm a Jarhead.

• Members

I'm not sure what these guys are doing right or wrong as it's hard to tell from the wording. One thing we should remember is that we are not all called to the same task. Even the prophets and apostles were called to different places and used different methods.

Myself, I highly doubt I would have ever been won to Christ via door knocking; yet some are drawn to Christ through this. I prOBably wouldn't have been won to Christ via street preaching either; yet again, there are those who come to Christ this way.

The main thing is for each of us to perform the calling God has given us for our own lives.

• Members

I do believe in taking a stand, and "contending for the faith", but where do we draw the lines? I do not know to what extent these guys go, but having had a street preaching ministry myself, I know that it is quite different being on the "firing line." As someone has said, each man (person) must determine his amount of zeal and activity for himself, as he feels the Lord leads.

• Members

I thought this was odd under thier doctrinal statement:

"…in the judgment of believers at the Judgment Seat of Christ, including loss of rewards and stripes for the unfaithful,"

Sounds like the Kingdom Baptist crowd. They teach that carnal believers will be whipped and then tossed into the Lake of Fird for 1,000 years to be purged of their carnality. Of course, they get this from not being able to handle the book of Matthew. The Regular Baptists teach this also.