• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christmas movies & TV programs

• Members

How do you deal with these? What determines whether they are acceptable or unacceptable?

This morning there was some discussion on this matter on the radio. It was interesting that while the Bible was mentioned briefly, the overriding aspect seemed to be that since Christians are all over the map on this issue, it's really just up to individual parents as to whatever they think is okay for their children.

A few years ago surveys of Christians showed that a fast growing number of Christians were accepting far more "classic" movies/shows than did previous generations. They said part of this was because of the baby boomer generation which grew up watching most of these now look back on them with nostalgic fondness and want to share them with their children without even considering the message.

A few mentioned, and I certainly can't remember them all, were:

It's a Wonderful Life
Bells of St. Marys
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Frosty the Snowman
Little Drummer Boy

There are many others, perhaps some could mention them and comment upon them if they like.

From what I recall, some of what was said is that many Christians today view most programs from their childhood or before as being safe and acceptable. Much of this has to do with the nostalgia factor and also because by comparrison to the newer stuff, the older movies/TV shows seem wholesome and tame.

What is your take on all this?

• Administrators

Well, I have to say that it actually is up to the individual parents as to what they allow their children to watch. If the parents apply Biblical guidelines, there may be some that you mentioned that are allowed, or not.

I've never seen The Bells of St. Mary, so can't comment on it. It's a Wonderful Life is not a movie we care for for several reasons - the overriding one being that alcohol was turned to in just about every instance. I know many godly people who like the movie and watch it every year. I don't take the time to worry about whether or not they are right - Romans 14:12 is still in effect for all of us.

As to the kid's shows - we never watched those with our son, nor did we give permission for him to watch them, although growing up we watched them every year (except the drummer boy - saw that once and don't remember it). None of my siblings nor I were influenced by the shows to believe that magic was good or that Santa was real. I remember that my sister wept when Frosty melted and was scared at the happenings in Rudolph.

I would suppose that there are people who remember the shows with fondness and want to share them with their kids. Again, that would be up to the parents. Yes, there are Biblical guidelines for what we should allow into our eyegates. But it truly is up to the parents to decide what their kids should watch, etc. I guarantee there are things we allowed our son to watch or read or do that others would disapprove of, and I guarantee there are things parents on here allowed (or allow) their kids to watch or read or do that we wouldn't approve of for our home.

• Members

Movies are entertainment, and have their good and proper place. I have no prOBlems with entertainment as long as entertainment does not become a goal of my life. Too many people today seek to be entertained all of the time. It is an end of their life.

I love good movies, and I love good Christmas movies such as It's a Wonderful Life, the Christmas Carol, etc. But they are just good movies with good morals made to entertain and make people feel good. That is good in its proper place. What we must not do is to allow all of the distractions around make us forget about the fact that we are celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. As long as that is what the focus is and what our hearts meditate on, other things such as movies and Santa Clause, and all that can have a good and proper place if a family chooses to incorporate that into their holiday tradition.

One thing that I truly wish is that Santa Clause and gifts and all of that evolved in a way that it was practiced on New Years Day, and that Christmas day was left a purly religious holiday. But that is not the world we live in. Christmas is a religious holiday, and a day to celebrate winter, and a day to celebrate new beginings (all of the new things we get as gifts. It is a lot of tamhings. As Christians, the primary focus should be on the birth of Christ. That is why I love advent so much. It makes me focus upon and read scriptures fortelling the birth of Christ and to look forward to that day.

• Members

Well, I have to say that it actually is up to the individual parents as to what they allow their children to watch. If the parents apply Biblical guidelines, there may be some that you mentioned that are allowed, or not.

I've never seen The Bells of St. Mary, so can't comment on it. It's a Wonderful Life is not a movie we care for for several reasons - the overriding one being that alcohol was turned to in just about every instance. I know many godly people who like the movie and watch it every year. I don't take the time to worry about whether or not they are right - Romans 14:12 is still in effect for all of us.

As to the kid's shows - we never watched those with our son, nor did we give permission for him to watch them, although growing up we watched them every year (except the drummer boy - saw that once and don't remember it). None of my siblings nor I were influenced by the shows to believe that magic was good or that Santa was real. I remember that my sister wept when Frosty melted and was scared at the happenings in Rudolph.

I would suppose that there are people who remember the shows with fondness and want to share them with their kids. Again, that would be up to the parents. Yes, there are Biblical guidelines for what we should allow into our eyegates. But it truly is up to the parents to decide what their kids should watch, etc. I guarantee there are things we allowed our son to watch or read or do that others would disapprove of, and I guarantee there are things parents on here allowed (or allow) their kids to watch or read or do that we wouldn't approve of for our home.

:goodpost:

• Members

"She has very very odd viewpoints when it comes to different doctrines of the Bible"

How ironic that James would say that. He has a very odd sense of humor with the whole CPR thing.

Without his clarification at the end it would have seemed out of place, but with the clear clarification of what he was doing it's not so bad.

I thought the one on Oprah was actually pretty good.

• Members

The prOBlem with the statement that it's up to parents to decide what their children watch, which I agree has an element of truth to it, is that most place the parents decision above or even outside Scripture.

Countless professing Christian parents make their decisions based upon what they think is okay or based upon whether they themselves like something or not. No regard for what the Word of God has to say about such matters or how the principles of Scripture apply.

We have to be careful to clarify that while it's up to parents to decide what their children do or don't watch, their decisions should be soundly made based upon the solid Word of God.

• Administrators

Yes, John, decisions should be based soundly on the Word of God. But direction you receive from the Lord may not be the same as my hubby's. For instance, I know you have a tv (at least you used to) and that is solely your decision. My hubby was convicted about it long before we met, and we do not have, nor have we ever had, a tv. SWIM? I could say that we are more spiritual because we don't even have the boOBtube. And base it on scripture ("I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes..." I know someone who proclaimed this verse as a reason not to have a tv...but he has had one in his home for over 25 years...). But that would not be truth, necessarily. Owning a tv doesn't determine spirituality. Nor does what one watches (although it most certainly can affect it!!). One's spirituality will affect if or what one watches, though!!

What children watch is totally up to the parents of each family. While I might sit back and say, "That program doesn't meet Biblical guidelines," someone else might look at something we watch or do or say as a family and have the same thoughts. We can go down a long list of things which shouldn't be in a show. But if we did that, how many could truly say they should even have a tv in their home????

• Members

Without his clarification at the end it would have seemed out of place, but with the clear clarification of what he was doing it's not so bad.

I thought the one on Oprah was actually pretty good.

I never said he wasn't right about Oprah. I just thought it was ironic that he made the statement about someone else when he himself has odd viewpoints about different doctrines of the Bible.