• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Samphire

Invicta

• Members

Does anyone know how to cook samphire? I tried it and it was ever so salty, so I suppose I did it wrong.

There is a fish man a few miles away wfo does it in jars, but I would rather try it fresh and get it right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I had never heard of it before!! Here's something about it...
http://www.suite101.com/content/eating-samphire-as-a-side-dish-a57223

I have seen it sold on the North Norfolk coast where it grows in abundance, it seems. I did twice buy plants to grow but it seems we were not near enough to the sea for their liking and they died, I once bought some and tried cooking it but as I said it came out incredibly salty. Not something that Tesco sells. There is a little fish man bout 8 miles away who sometime has it as well as the pickled, he is German and his shop is called Herman's Plaice. Come to think of it, we have a fish market in town, at the harbour, they may stock it when it is in season.

We have a shop in town called Samphire, which when I saw it, made me think of the original post. I think it is a women's clothes shop.