• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Going full time?

• Members

Looking for some advice from you "full time" preachers out there.

Over the last several months, my jOB has gotten increasingly painful to deal with morally and "come out from among them and be ye separate" and "be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers" keep coming to mind. The Lord has been dealing with me and getting me more involved in the church. I've been a soul winner for quite a while and started preaching part time back in the summer. I don't really have anything more I'd be doing for the church except to have more time to get out soul winning and have more study time. For some reason, I just have this feeling that the Lord wants me full time.

I know there isn't really a question stated. I guess what I'm trying to get are some pointers on what I should be praying for about potentially going full time. Should I just change jOBs or stay where I am witnessing and being the testimony I am? I want God to get the glory and I don't want to have idle hands either. Just looking for direction.

• Members

Yes I've been called to preach, but I've never felt the call to pastor a church. Acts 26:16 "be a minister and a witness" was what called me. I understand that I am in my Jerusalem now and am getting my training. I'm enrolled in Bible school taking correspondence courses now too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Explain further, please.

I have honestly never felt the burden to pastor a church. However, I have felt the burden to preach. Recently, I have felt the burden to plant churches locally and to start ministries in assisted living facilities and jails. I am talking to my pastor about it too before you ask, and I am sincerely not looking to override any thoughts or ideas he gives. I am very curious of what others think or have done in their lives though.

• Members

I have honestly never felt the burden to pastor a church. However, I have felt the burden to preach. Recently, I have felt the burden to plant churches locally and to start ministries in assisted living facilities and jails. I am talking to my pastor about it too before you ask, and I am sincerely not looking to override any thoughts or ideas he gives. I am very curious of what others think or have done in their lives though.

If I know it's a calling of the Lord then I do it. If I think the Lord is leading in a direction but I'm not certain, then I seek counsel, most especially from my pastor.

• Members

If someone is going out from a particular church, they should seek the pastor's guidance and permission. Isn't starting a church being a pastor? A nursing home ministry pastoring those that are home bound. I think anyone called to preach will find themselves in a position at some point that the will be pastoring. And don't get the call/burden for a ministry mixed up with the call to preach.

Preachers, isn't the call to preach more than just getting up and sermonizing?

• Members
If I know it's a calling of the Lord then I do it. If I think the Lord is leading in a direction but I'm not certain, then I seek counsel, most especially from my pastor.

I know it's a calling of the Lord then I do it-No counsel

If I think the Lord is leading in a direction but I'm not certain-Seek counsel

I am not sure if I read this correctly, but this is what I took from it.

• Members

Well, here is an update for you all. Sunday I preached the evening service. It was David and Goliath and "The Battle is the Lord's". Last night my pastor preached on "Killing the Giants" and Joshua and Caleb and the other 10 spies in Deuteronomy. Long story short, everything happens for a reason. My pastor has been going through a series on faith and last night just topped it with stepping out and about service. It was tremendously overwhelming to me. We counseled again after the prayer meeting and he gave me the green light to buy tracts and to start knocking on doors right away in an area where I've had a burden to plant a church. I'm inside 90 days from permanently leaving my jOB for full time ministry!! I've emailed all my preacher friends and prayer warriors, so I'll tell you what I told them--I need your prayers! Hopefully this little topic on here will help someone else with the same questions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I know it's a calling of the Lord then I do it-No counsel

If I think the Lord is leading in a direction but I'm not certain-Seek counsel

I am not sure if I read this correctly, but this is what I took from it.

Yes. If I KNOW it's the Lord's will then I don't need to seek counsel about that. I would likely seek counsel on other matters regarding the calling.

If I think, but am not sure of the calling, I will seek counsel to either confirm the calling or prove it false.