• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How hard to push?

• Members

I have only one thing to add, if you go visiting people you can make them happy one way or the other.

If your coming does not make them happy, them surely your leaving will make them happy.

Now that is a practical piece of wisdom to live by......I like it!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

If it wasn't for the persistent witnessing of a close friend who continually asked me "are you saved yet?" over a period of 3 months, I wouldn't have got saved when I did. If he wasn't a close friend then I would never have given him the liberty to push me like that but in hindsight I thank God he did!

I do believe there are times when God is moving us to be extra persistent in our witnessing, He presses us to make more effort.

Acts 18:5 And when Silas and Timotheus were come from Macedonia, Paul was pressed in the spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus was Christ.

Edited by Soj

• Members

"Pushiness" can me defined differently by different people too. What is firm, and direct, and to the point, may seem "pushy" to some, while others readily accept it. The main thing is to talk to them, as a friend, share the Gospel, pray, and let the Lord work. Just be cordial, and non-aggressive, but matter-of-fact in presenting the Gospel.

• Members

"Pushiness" can me defined differently by different people too. What is firm, and direct, and to the point, may seem "pushy" to some, while others readily accept it. The main thing is to talk to them, as a friend, share the Gospel, pray, and let the Lord work. Just be cordial, and non-aggressive, but matter-of-fact in presenting the Gospel.

:amen:

• Members

not sure,I believe that I've seen false professions and real professions from both. Though those who accept Christ through non pushy methods actually seem to have a life change as well as start attending church more often than the other. The ones from the more pushy way seem to never be at home after that. Not always but, more often than not. Just what I've seen.

Never put a stumbling block before a future opportunity.

• Members

If it wasn't for the persistent witnessing of a close friend who continually asked me "are you saved yet?" over a period of 3 months, I wouldn't have got saved when I did. If he wasn't a close friend then I would never have given him the liberty to push me like that but in hindsight I thank God he did!

I do believe there are times when God is moving us to be extra persistent in our witnessing, He presses us to make more effort.

Acts 18:5 And when Silas and Timotheus were come from Macedonia, Paul was pressed in the spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus was Christ.

Could not a close friend get by doing that where as if someone was not a friend it would not over over very good.

And is it not all about planting that seed, them let the Holy Spirit do its part, and someone else may come along and water it, them God giving the gain.

• Members

Could not a close friend get by doing that where as if someone was not a friend it would not over over very good.

And is it not all about planting that seed, them let the Holy Spirit do its part, and someone else may come along and water it, them God giving the gain.

:amen: Always the same Gospel, but different approaches depending upon the audience. Also, as you say, it's our duty to plant the seed and then allow the Holy Ghost to work with it. It's NOT our duty to "get a conversion", press for someone to pray or press for an answer.

• Members

:amen: Always the same Gospel, but different approaches depending upon the audience. Also, as you say, it's our duty to plant the seed and then allow the Holy Ghost to work with it. It's NOT our duty to "get a conversion", press for someone to pray or press for an answer.

Yes, and if you push, you might cause someone to have false hope, them their latter end would be worse than ever, for its easier to sin someone to Christ that has no hope than it is to win one who has a false hope. And that is what the pushers will do, cause someone to have a false hope, or they might cause them to harden their hearts. Either one is bad.

• Members
Yes, and if you push, you might cause someone to have false hope, them their latter end would be worse than ever, for its easier to sin someone to Christ that has no hope than it is to win one who has a false hope. And that is what the pushers will do, cause someone to have a false hope, or they might cause them to harden their hearts. Either one is bad.

This might happen if the person "pushing" is walking in the flesh and not in the Spirit. If we can get ourselves out of the way and allow God to work through us, then at times He might have us push someone a litter harder, but at other times ease off.

Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Depending on the circumstances, and the heart of the individual you are witnessing to, God may want you to react differently toward them than the next person.

Proverbs 26:4-5 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. 5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

• Members

I believe the main point is, there is no scriptural support for the idea that when we witness to someone we should or are to push them into "making a decision" right then and there. As Jerry said, doing so can bring about false professions which result in false hope. Doing so can also harden some hearts.

Scripture is clear that we are to present the Gospel, spread the seed, and then allow the Holy Ghost to work in the hearts of the hearers. The parable of the sower makes it clear that folks will receive the seed differently and there is no call for us to do anything more to try and make this any different by pushing for a "decision" on the spot.

• Members

I believe the main point is, there is no scriptural support for the idea that when we witness to someone we should or are to push them into "making a decision" right then and there. As Jerry said, doing so can bring about false professions which result in false hope. Doing so can also harden some hearts.

I agree, and might add that doing so can not only harden hearts, but by providing false hope actually condemn one's soul to hell as they believe they are in one condition and do no further examination of their heart to be certain.

• Members

I agree, and might add that doing so can not only harden hearts, but by providing false hope actually condemn one's soul to hell as they believe they are in one condition and do no further examination of their heart to be certain.

Absolutely true. Unfortunately, I know of several people who are trusting in having said "the sinners prayer" and some who are convince that since they were baptised they are now good with God. For those in both groups, they feel no need to consider their eternal destination any further and have no time for "religion" talk.

• Members
I believe the main point is, there is no scriptural support for the idea that when we witness to someone we should or are to push them into "making a decision" right then and there.

Here are some relevant verses to consider:

2 Corinthians 6:1 We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain. 2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)

Proverbs 27:1 Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.

James 4:14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.

I'm not an advocate for forcing people to get saved, but for enforcing the Biblical fact that TODAY is the best day to get saved because if you leave it you could be in hell tomorrow!

• Members

Here are some relevant verses to consider:

2 Corinthians 6:1 We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain. 2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)

Proverbs 27:1 Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.

James 4:14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.

I'm not an advocate for forcing people to get saved, but for enforcing the Biblical fact that TODAY is the best day to get saved because if you leave it you could be in hell tomorrow!

:amen: It's very biblical, and to the lost's best interest, for us to point out that we don't know if we will even have a tomorrow and the Gospel is something they should seriously consider now.

There are times we can see the Spirit at work in someone and at such times we should allow the Spirit to work in us to say the right thing. Some may yield to the conviction at that time, while some may not.

There are also times when we can see the lost person is not allowing the Spirit to convict them or that they simply are not receptive at that moment.

In whatever the case, we must yield ourselves to the Spirit and work accordingly.

• Members

This might happen if the person "pushing" is walking in the flesh and not in the Spirit. If we can get ourselves out of the way and allow God to work through us, then at times He might have us push someone a litter harder, but at other times ease off.

Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Depending on the circumstances, and the heart of the individual you are witnessing to, God may want you to react differently toward them than the next person.

Proverbs 26:4-5 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. 5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

No, it can happen to many believers who have very good intentions, for many are pushers, Jesus was no pusher.

Re 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Re 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

When you're a pusher, they cease partaking of the water of life freely, they attempt to take of the water because they are being pushed towards it, thus many have only a false hope of heaven,