• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How hard to push?

• Members

Ok I have been with many different people out visiting, and the way people witness is so different? I prefer to lay out the plan of salvation and give them the information they need to accept or deny Christ, but, I have been with some who will not stop until they get a decision one way or another, sometimes I feel that, that kind of witnessing closes a door. Just curious as to what others of you think, I don't mean to bash anyone and don't want this to turn that way, please keep it civil, just a discussion. Disagreements are of course fine.

• Members

Whichever way the Spirit leads is always the best! There's an old saying around here that goes "Different strokes for different folks". Sometimes we need to be bold , or "pushy" (depending on the person, and how serious hell is!) and sometimes we need to as gentle as a lamb.

I used to teach a class of senior citizens; Out visiting one day, I approached a gray-haired fellow and introduced myself, and told him that I teach the senior citizens at my church, and was about to tell him about class events, etc. when he blew up on me about inferring that he was a "senior"! I did not get him saved, or to church after that, nor did he answer the door anymore when I came by. I am not sure what he refers t himself as, but the point is, you never know how people are going to take what you say, so be sure your prayed up, and focused on a soul and not the person containing the soul. (By the way, the man was easily in his 60's!)

Ok I have been with many different people out visiting, and the way people witness is so different? I prefer to lay out the plan of salvation and give them the information they need to accept or deny Christ, but, I have been with some who will not stop until they get a decision one way or another, sometimes I feel that, that kind of witnessing closes a door. Just curious as to what others of you think, I don't mean to bash anyone and don't want this to turn that way, please keep it civil, just a discussion. Disagreements are of course fine.

Which way have you seen the Holy Spirit use the most for salvation of the lost?

• Members

I agree. We must follow the leading of the Holy Ghost, and the example in Scripture is the Gospel being presented with no pushing for a "decision". The fact is, if they don't accept Christ, they have already made their decision. Even then, we have planted a seed and it's possible another will come behind to water that seed or even reap the harvest.

We have examples in Scripture of questions and such being answered, but do we have examples of the Apostles pushing and pushing someone into making a "decision"?

From what I've seen of such tactics, pushing, tends to lead to anger, hardening of hearts, or "decisions" proclaimed in order to get rid of the "pushy" Christian.

For those who seem unsure or who the Holy Ghost might seem to prod us to continue speaking with, there are calm and non-pushing ways to continue our witness to them.

One problem with some folks who use the pushing method is they are relying more upon themselves than the Holy Ghost in their witnessing. Some are also more interested in keeping score, of recording another "win" in their witnessing column than actually doing witnessing for God's glory and in His power.

• Members

Our job is simply to present the message. The Spirit will convict person and call them to himself in his due time. Our job may just be to plant a seed, or to help reap the harvest. We never know how and when God's spirit will speak to someone. We deliver the message, and the rest is up to God. It is not our job to press a person to make a decision.

• Members

Our job is simply to present the message. The Spirit will convict person and call them to himself in his due time. Our job may just be to plant a seed, or to help reap the harvest. We never know how and when God's spirit will speak to someone. We deliver the message, and the rest is up to God. It is not our job to press a person to make a decision.

:amen:

• Members

Which way have you seen the Holy Spirit use the most for salvation of the lost?

not sure,I believe that I've seen false professions and real professions from both. Though those who accept Christ through non pushy methods actually seem to have a life change as well as start attending church more often than the other. The ones from the more pushy way seem to never be at home after that. Not always but, more often than not. Just what I've seen.

• Members

Proverbs 15:1 "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger."
Family Bible Notes
Pr 15:1Mild and conciliatory words often win those whom harsh and irritating language would only have driven farther from us.

I have seen both types of witnessing, the kind and loving approach has always seemed to work best, is there a time for the other puzzled3.gif.

We were once witnessing in a laundry mat. There was a big old fellow who did not like us being there and doing what we were doing. We went on by him and his wife and my partner began to talk with someone else. This "gentleman" approached us and began to speak in very unflattering ways.

I turn to him and began speaking to him very calmly but very firmly, letting the Holy Spirit guide. He calmed down and went back to his wife and the precious soul my partner was witnessing to received Christ as Saviour.

Another time we were witnessing and a fellow became very belligerent as a partner was witnessing to two young girls. He was not associated with them. I tried to talk with him in a deceit manner and he became even more aggressive. I bowed up with him (in a deceit manner) and he back away. Two more souls for Christ.

It matters what the Spirit leads us to do.

Standing at someones front door and presenting the Gospel to me is like someone wanting to enter my home. Be over bearing and forceful and forget it. Be pleasant and kind and loving. Well maybe not today, but if you come back I will be more receptive.

How would you want someone to act at your front door?