• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Cast iron cookware set or other...

• Administrators

Most of the cast iron pans that I have seen are enameled or non stick.

Mine aren't. They have been seasoned, so they work like non-stick, though.

Old-timer, thanks for the info - I agree that buying the pots/pans you need and know you will use is the best option. I really want to get the corn muffin pans that are shaped liked corn cobs. :biggrin: My hubby would love that (as would I). I bake my cornbread in my cast iron skillets anyway, so this would just give it a cute look. Yes, seasoned pans don't leech as much iron, but it was still too much for me, so I had to stop using them for a time. Hard thing for me to do! :icon_smile: I am back to using them, though.

• Members

Old-timer, thanks for the info - I agree that buying the pots/pans you need and know you will use is the best option. I really want to get the corn muffin pans that are shaped liked corn cobs. :biggrin: My hubby would love that (as would I). I bake my cornbread in my cast iron skillets anyway, so this would just give it a cute look. Yes, seasoned pans don't leech as much iron, but it was still too much for me, so I had to stop using them for a time. Hard thing for me to do! :icon_smile: I am back to using them, though.

I have several of the corn cob pans. However for baking cornbread, I prefer to use one of these. https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=prologic&idProduct=3949

Wedge pans make the best individual servings, IMHO. Plenty of the crispy crust for each person. When cooking for a crowd I use two or more of them at a time in the oven. Or, in the summer in the gas grill. (Did you know that a gas grill is a great oven for summer time baking? Keeps the kitchen cooler and it can handle multiple pans and such that simply can't fit in a kitchen oven.)

If you like to use Dutchovens, use DO liners to help limit the amount of iron that can be extracted during use. Do a search using the keywords Lodge Dutch Oven Liners to turn up links for parchment and aluminum liners. (WalMart has had parchment versions in the camping supply section of their stores near us.) For some baking, you can also use cake pans and pie pans set inside the DO. Place them on a trivet of some kind, so these pans don't sit directly on the bottom of the DO. Canning jar rings make great trivets, as do small DRY flat stones. Round decorator trivets will work if you remove the rubber tips on the feet and remove the paint (several methods).

You've made me hungry for some cornbread! A mess of fresh vegetables and a big glass of old fashioned REAL buttermilk. Sigh!

It's too early for veggies from the garden and I haven't seen real home churned butter milk in years.

• Moderators

I have a frying pan & skillet I like to use, but they are not seasoned (or if they ever were, I wrecked it by washing with soap and water :scratchchin:). Can one of you cast-iron-experts tell me how to get them properly seasoned again?

• Administrators

I have a frying pan & skillet I like to use, but they are not seasoned (or if they ever were, I wrecked it by washing with soap and water :scratchchin:). Can one of you cast-iron-experts tell me how to get them properly seasoned again?

When I bought my first cast-iron, the instructions stated to rub peanut oil thoroughly into the pan/skillet. Then bake in a hot over (350 degrees). I can't remember how long, but I do remember that there was smoke. Once the smoke is gone, they are done...but VERY hot.

My mom just uses hot water to wash hers. And she "re-seasons" every few washes by rubbing crisco into the pan once it's dried. Hers are always nonstick.

Thanks, Oldtimer!

• Members

While some disagree, IMHO, washing a well seasoned CI skillet with soap and water does not harm the seasoning. Letting it soak or definitely putting it into a dishwasher will ruin the seasoning.

If your skillet doesn't need to be stripped and completely re-done, here's the approach I'd use. (There are several good methods.)

Wash it well, scrubbing with a soap pad if you have any slight rust spots. Rinse well and rinse again to remove any soap residue. Dry and immediately put it on the stove to heat it to drive out residual moisture that's in the pores of the iron. Heat either on top of the stove or better yet heat it in the oven, just until the pan is hot. Don't heat it to smoking hot. Just a little too hot to touch is fine.

Using oven mits to protect your hands, coat all surfaces with a light coating of one of the following. Wipe off as much of what you applied, as possible. You want a very, very thin coating. Return the skillet to the oven, set the temp to 450 degrees. After one hour at 450, turn off the oven and let the pan cool naturally.

Coatings - Lard (best, IMHO), Crisco (second best), Pam, peanut oil, canola oil or vegetable oil (my least favorite).

Next, cook some French Fries. This batch isn't for eating. Cut up a potato or two, add enough oil to cook the taters. When done, discard the taters & oil. Wipe out the pan. What this step does is to further "cure" and deepen the initial seasoning coat. Often CI cookware will leave a metallic flavor (after it's been scrubbed with steel wool) the first time it's used. Plus, there may be a bit of soap residue. Cooking a potato will remove those.

Next, cook some French fries to eat. Again, this is further developing your seasoning layer. After each use, do not wash. Simply wipe out the pan with paper towels. Don't worry about health issues. The heat from frying will kill any bacteria that may be present. Now, for a while, only use your pan for frying. Sausage, bacon, chicken, pork chops, fish, cornbread, fatback (the best!) all will help continue to build your seasoning layer. If you cook something that does require washing, do it quickly with plain water (at this stage). Immediately dry and then warm the pan to quickly evaporate any residual moisture. Wipe the pan with a VERY VERY light coating of oil.

Using this method, within a fairly short period of time you'll have a well seasoned pan that can take just about anything you want to cook in it without worry about harming the seasoning. Then, you can wash with hot soaply water and dry well.

If you don't use CI very often, periodically wipe it with oil and heat it in the oven, or better yet, cook a few more fries to help maintain the seasoning.

In closing, once it's well seasoned, it's rare that you'll have to reseason for many years. I have a skillet that we bought when we first married that has never been reseasoned. That was 45 years ago. It's my go-to pan for frying fish or a couple of pork chops.

Hope this helps.

Edit: The initial seasoning of a piece of castiron is best done in a gas grill outdoors. It will smoke at 450 degrees. If you can't use a grill, then turn on your exhaust fan and possibly open your kitchen window. You may have to silence your smoke detectors during this process. Edited by Oldtimer

• Members
The best enameled cookware is Le Creuset manufactured in France. (Expensive!)

When we were first married, we considered buying Le Creuset but it was very expensice here, but when we went to France for a holiday, we found it much cheaper there, but when we looked at a large display of le Creuset in a store, we were put off by the fact that many of the items were either chipped or cracked. I have two pans both of French make, one is Cousances 2.6l or 2 and 3/4 US. (quarts?) The second is not used a lot now as it is too large for the two of us. The brand is Invicta. These are both enamel. I also have a cast iron ribbed grill pan which I bought in France, which is nonstick, but I don't often use it often as it is too large for me, being the only meater.

Our local cookstore has mainly stainless steel cookware, and the newer "Green Pans" with a silicon coating.

• Members

When we were first married, we considered buying Le Creuset but it was very expensive here, but when we went to France for a holiday, we found it much cheaper there, but when we looked at a large display of le Creuset in a store, we were put off by the fact that many of the items were either chipped or cracked. I have two pans both of French make, one is Cousances 2.6l or 2 and 3/4 US. (quarts?) The second is not used a lot now as it is too large for the two of us. The brand is Invicta. These are both enamel. I also have a cast iron ribbed grill pan which I bought in France, which is nonstick, but I don't often use it often as it is too large for me, being the only meater.

Our local cookstore has mainly stainless steel cookware, and the newer "Green Pans" with a silicon coating.