• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussion Topic - Is It Wrong To Call A Pastor "Reverend?"

• Members

Would you think that pride would play a part in it, at least in some cases? Pride in the sense of hey look at me I am Reverend so and so and I am higher than you are?

No doubt some would fall into that category. There are saved and unsaved pastors who love titles, love being looked up to, love feeling above others, love the perks that come with such.

• Members

Matthew 23:1
Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

2Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:

3All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

4For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

5But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,

6And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,

7And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.
8But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

9And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

10Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

11But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

Titles.........Would that also include putting "Dr." on your name when you don't even have a PHD?

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Matthew 23:1
Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

2Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:

3All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

4For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

5But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,

6And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,

7And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.
8But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

9And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

10Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

11But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

Titles.........Would that also include putting "Dr." on your name when you don't even have a PHD?

Personally, I believe that anything that is used to attempt to put ones self above everyone else is prideful and sinful. I certainly am not suggesting that there is anything wrong with setting goals and achieving accoplishments but to exalt ones self.....

• Members

If one is calling themselves "Dr." without having earned a doctorate degree then not only could there be a pride issue, but there would also be a lying issue.

When I go to visit the "doctor," I am in fact visiting a medical practitioner, "Doctor" is just a courtesy title.