• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussion Topic - Is It Wrong To Call A Pastor "Reverend?"

• Administrators

This pastor when someone calls me reverend says, "Nothing reverend about me. I just a saved sinner called to preach." I will be adding, "only one reverend I know of and that is God."twocents.gif

That's the way my hubby views it as well. He's not a pastor, but he is a preacher and really doesn't like being called Reverend. He doesn't actually tell people not to address him as that, but he doesn't care for it - for the reason you stated, that God is the only reverend One.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes, no? What can we glean from the Scriptures regarding this? Let them speak.
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14.

Funny you should mention this. I post on an extremely liberal "Christian" site and we just had this conversation.

Is it wrong? I don't believe so. Is it wise, I don't believe it is because I believe it gives a false sense of holiness of the pastor.

When somebody calls me "Reverend", I don't correct them, but I would never ask or encourage someone to call me that. "Pastor" or simply "Brother" is fine.

• Members

What motivates people to use such a term as reverend? I am speaking of the person who allows himself to be called reverend.

Most likely, most have never even thought about. For some, it's simply the tradition of their church or denomination.

• Members

Most likely, most have never even thought about. For some, it's simply the tradition of their church or denomination.

Would you think that pride would play a part in it, at least in some cases? Pride in the sense of hey look at me I am Reverend so and so and I am higher than you are?