• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussion Topic - Is It Wrong To Call A Pastor "Reverend?"

• Members

Psalm 111:9 He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name.

The only place it's found int he Bible is where it is attributed to God. So I certainly wouldn't want anyone calling me 'reverend' nor would I use the title if I was a preacher.

• Members

I wouldn't say it's wrong, but I do think there are much better terms. Our pastor's official title is "reverend" but he doesn't care for that title and only uses it for official purposes. He doesn't really care for the title "minister" either, he much prefers pastor, or better yet just call him by name.

• Members

The Bible says somewhere that Sarah called Abraham "lord".

I still can't get Mrs. Rick to answer me "Yes, me lord?" no matter how hard I try.

:icon_mrgreen:

Perhaps if you gave her the deluxe toilet bowl brush WITH the fancy case. And throw in a coordinating feather duster!! Perhaps that would do it!

• Members

I was participating in a military retirement ceremony for a friend of mine, and I was introduced as "reverend." I didn't say anything about it, but I was uncomfortable with the title. I prefer "pastor" or "preacher."

I was visiting a church recently where the same thing happened to me and I was uncomfortable with it too.

• Members

I was participating in a military retirement ceremony for a friend of mine, and I was introduced as "reverend." I didn't say anything about it, but I was uncomfortable with the title. I prefer "pastor" or "preacher."

After our associate pastor finished a funeral there were some women talking near him about going to a gambling place. One of the women said something about sitting at the slot machines and praying for a big payoff. Then she noticed out associate pastor standing there and said, "Oh look, here I am talking about praying at a slot machine in front of the religious guy!"

She didn't call him preacher, pastor or even reverend, but "the religious guy". No doubt, a serious church goer when not at the slots!

• Members

After our associate pastor finished a funeral there were some women talking near him about going to a gambling place. One of the women said something about sitting at the slot machines and praying for a big payoff. Then she noticed out associate pastor standing there and said, "Oh look, here I am talking about praying at a slot machine in front of the religious guy!"

She didn't call him preacher, pastor or even reverend, but "the religious guy". No doubt, a serious church goer when not at the slots!

unfortunately most churches are full of those kinda folks.

• Members

GO to the Word of God, now, go thither (there)

Psalm 111:9

He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name. Psalm 111:9 KJB:PCE

REVEREND IS A NAME FOR GOD!

For me, and C.H. Spurgeon, that is the end of the discussion!

The Treasury of David...

“Holy and reverend is his name.” Well may he say this. The whole name or character of God is worthy of profoundest awe, for it is perfect and complete, whole or holy. It ought not to be spoken without solemn thought, and never heard without profound homage. His name is to be trembled at, it is something terrible; even those who know him best rejoice with trembling before him. How good men can endure to be called “reverend” we know not. Being unable to discover any reason why our fellow-men should reverence us, we half suspect that in other men there is not very much which can entitle them to be called reverend, very reverend, right reverend, and so on. It may seem a trilling matter, but for that very reason we would urge that the foolish custom should be allowed to fall into disuse. - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Serve the Truth, the Living Word, Jesus Christ,
Allen

P.S. The words Holy Father are also a name for God

And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. John 17:11 KJB:PCE

Some very stupid men in Rome demand that they be called Holy Father, aka, GOD!

Edited by Allen

• Members

No pastors with whom I'm acquainted (across denominational lines) demand to be called "reverend." I believe it is meant to be a title of respect for ministers of the gospel, not a title which equates the ministers with God. So, I'm not "against" it, but I don't really use it, either.

If you study the only verse of Scripture in which the word reverend appears, you'll see that it is being used as an adjective, not a noun (or a "name" of God). "Holy and reverend is his name." We are, therefore, to "revere" (fear/respect/hold in awe) God's name. The letters from Paul to Timothy tell us that we should respect/revere ministers of the gospel. God is not the only one we're to respect.

Here's a link to an interesting discussion on the topic.
http://christianblogs.christianet.com/1124587425.htm

Edited by Annie