• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Thank you to all Veterans

Pastor Matt

• Members

I mentioned serving in the U. S. Air Force, but I don't believe I gave a run down on my family. I will see if I can get it right.

1. My grandfather on my mothers side was an office in the Confederate Army
  2. My father served in the U. S. Army World War 2, wounded twice, two purple hearts, rifle shot in the shoulder, them another rifle shot in the leg, both times he went back to his unit after partial healing continuing in combat 
  3. My father's oldest brother served more than 20 years in the U. S. Army, volunteered before the start of World war 2
  4. 1 brother served in the U. S. Army in the early 50's 
  5. 1 brother served in the U. S. Navy in the mid 50's
  6. 1 brother served in the U. S. Air Force in the late 50's
  7. I served in the U. S. Air Force Jan. 66 to May 69
  8. At present time my oldest grandson is serving in the U. S. Marines, two trips to Afghanistan, he should be getting out any day now, if he does not change his mind  

I was an engine mechanic of the B-52's & KC-135's, I spent the large majority of my time working flight line, spent most of my time at Blytheville AFB except for a 90 day TDY that turned into a 120 day TDY at Anderson AFB, Guam, for a bit over 3/4's of that time we worked 12 hours per day 7 days per week, the last part of it we worked 12 hours per day, 4 days on, with one day off. It was quite amazing seeing the B-52's leave loaded down with bomb seemly having a difficult time getting airborne, them in somewhat over 12 hours returning, them quickly what ever repairs it might need were done, loaded back full of bombs, them sent right back.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My father was too old for WW I........ Regarding the pic above......... My cousin Bud Harvey was one of the 52 survivors and was just below that flag when it was raised. He said it is almost exactly as shown in real life............

His greatest memory of it was the days on end of continuous fighting with dead bodies rotting in the sun and the stink of rotting flesh filled the air and in your nostrils non-stop.

Those boys were celebrated no doubt........... Funny one that happened: a buddy of mine as we were entering a room...... this white haired old man did not notice us and Ron motioned for me to be quite......... He sneaked up on him and that OLD MAN grabbed a very strong guy and slammed him on the floor in a GA second. We spent the next 2 hrs talking and he had his papers showing he was one of the 52 survivors as well.

I never knew any that gloried in war or spoke well of it if they spoke at all. Our young men are following the orders of evil old men in their ungodly endeavors. We're in a war in Iraq that should not have been. Our young men however are mostly serving with honor not to the credit of leadership.

Sam, they said the same thing about Vietnam, and I am sad to hear it.  Many of my "buddies" gave their lives in Nam, and all for nothing seemingly.  In a way, the end does justify the means, at least in these cases.  I do not consider myself a warmonger, but I believe it is necessary, especially these days with the Muslim influence.  When they pull out of Afghanistan, then all those who died there are wasted lives.  We should stick with it until victory or defeat, whatever the Lord has for us. 

(I know I am responding to an old post, but had to get it off my chest)

• Members

Sam, they said the same thing about Vietnam, and I am sad to hear it.  Many of my "buddies" gave their lives in Nam, and all for nothing seemingly.  In a way, the end does justify the means, at least in these cases.  I do not consider myself a warmonger, but I believe it is necessary, especially these days with the Muslim influence.  When they pull out of Afghanistan, then all those who died there are wasted lives.  We should stick with it until victory or defeat, whatever the Lord has for us. 

(I know I am responding to an old post, but had to get it off my chest)

Without launching a full scale war, followed by a full scale occupation, there can be no victory in Afghanistan.

For the Muslims, their war with us goes far beyond national pride aspects, it goes to the core of their religion and culture. The advance of Islam or the elimination of any threat from Islamic elements can't be eliminated by use of limited war or limited occupation.

America will not fight the Muslims as is necessary so they would be best off finding a good way to exit rather than to continue to waste lives while gaining nothing.

• Members

partially true John, but eventually we will have to fight or surrender to the Muslim world.  There agenda is world dominance.

The crusades were about the same thing years ago, and they mangaed to win for awhile.  If we are going to go into a war without the resolve to win,there is no sense in going.  Too much politics destroys a good war!

• Members

partially true John, but eventually we will have to fight or surrender to the Muslim world.  There agenda is world dominance.

The crusades were about the same thing years ago, and they mangaed to win for awhile.  If we are going to go into a war without the resolve to win,there is no sense in going.  Too much politics destroys a good war!

That's the problem, Americans are unwilling to face the fact of who, what and why the real enemy is. America is also unwilling to fight the Muslim world. For America, it's mostly about money and "the good life". For Muslims, it's about their core beliefs and their religion, culture and society are meshed together as one. Most Americans don't grasp that because for them religion is a side matter. Even for many professing Christians their Christianity is only a part of their life, not their whole life and not something they take as seriously as many Muslims take their religion.

American soldiers have to walk on eggshells in Afghanistan because they have orders not to "offend" Muslims. They have to hide their Christianity, they have to act as if Islam is wonderful, they have to protect Islamists.

For Bible believing Christians, this is all matters of the world the Lord will tend to. Scripture tells us it's the spiritual battle that we are to be concerned about and fighting. We know the destiny of all the nations and all peoples. The kingdom of God will prevail, all else will be burned away.

• Members

Without launching a full scale war, followed by a full scale occupation, there can be no victory in Afghanistan.

For the Muslims, their war with us goes far beyond national pride aspects, it goes to the core of their religion and culture. The advance of Islam or the elimination of any threat from Islamic elements can't be eliminated by use of limited war or limited occupation.

America will not fight the Muslims as is necessary so they would be best off finding a good way to exit rather than to continue to waste lives while gaining nothing.

First God bless America and all Veterans.

Secondly, the Muslims will lose in the end we all know that.

• Members

First God bless America and all Veterans.

Secondly, the Muslims will lose in the end we all know that.

Scripture is clear as to who receives the blessings of the Lord and who doesn't.

Muslims, along with all nations will lose in the end. Only those born again in Christ will "win".

• Members

It is a spiritual warfare, to be fought with the Word of God, not with guns.

You cannot force anyone to come to Jesus & follow Him, & we are not to overcome evil, with evil, when we do that we have stopped following the Lord Jesus Christ.

Ro 12:17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

Ro 12:21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

When we pick up our guns, that is the point we stopped trusting God.

And God's Word is clear were wars come from.

Jas 4:1 ¶ From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?

Clearly fighting & wars come not from God, but they clearly come from the humans very own lust. Least that's what the Holy Scriptures tells us!

• Members

Scripture is clear as to who receives the blessings of the Lord and who doesn't.

Muslims, along with all nations will lose in the end. Only those born again in Christ will "win".

I hear many Christians say, in this world the lost will not prosper, the only ones that will prosper & have in this world is those that walk with God. When I hear this I think of an old hymn, Farther Along, that expounds Bible truths.

Tempted and tried, we're oft made to wonder
Why it should be thus all the day long;
While there are others living about us,
Never molested, though in the wrong.
Farther along we'll know more about it,
Farther along we'll understand why;
Cheer up, my brother, live in the sunshine,
We'll understand it all by and by.

Sometimes I wonder why I must suffer,
Go in the rain, the cold, and the snow,
When there are many living in comfort,
Giving no heed to all I can do.

Tempted and tried, how often we question
Why we must suffer year after year,
Being accused by those of our loved ones,
E'en though we've walked in God's holy fear.

Often when death has taken our loved ones,
Leaving our home so lone and so drear,
Then do we wonder why others prosper,
Living so wicked year after year.

"Faithful till death," saith our loving Master;
Short is our time to labor and wait;
Then will our toiling seem to be nothing,
When we shall pass the heavenly gate.

Soon we will see our dear, loving Savior,
Hear the last trumpet sound through the sky;
Then we will meet those gone on before us,
Then we shall know and understand why.

Yes, to many think more about worldly treasures, spend so much time seeking materiel goods because of being jealous of the heathens & their possessions, failing to store treasures in Heaven. But God's children will understand it all by & by.

Remember the lost will only have good in this life, in the next life it will be only Hell for them, literally.

When one has been born again its quite amazing at how Jesus can change the desires of their heart. And these people understand that come that day, "Then will our toiling seem to be nothing," just as the old song says.

• Members

22 years active army, airborne infantry retired CSM.

The only meaningful part of it was when I was saved in Panama July 7th, 1985 and lived for God for 5 years, called to preach and looking to leave the army. Then came satan luring me away into seeking glory in the army and its career. What a shameful waste of time it was from 1990 till I retired.

My loving wife at the time in 85 welcomed me home from elsalvador after another long deployment (she had gotten saved while I was gone) and lead me to a BIMI military mission church in panama city and I grumbled under the Spirit's conviction as this Christ-like Pastor preached the Gospel. Brother Al Sligh was his name, strong, steadfast man of God, retired Air Force Senior Sergeant who loved lost sinners and preached hardcore fire and brimstone. I will never forget that great servant of God.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

My dad, Foster Young,deceased, proudly served as a Private in the Army in France and Germany in World War 2.

I proudly served in the United States Air Force from 1971-1975, in POL (fueled up aircraft, B-52's at Castle AFB, KC-135's at McConnell, F-4's and other combat aricraft). And am proud to be a Vietnam Veteran.

Proud of the United States of America and being able to serve my country.

Alan Taiwan

• Members

Thank you for being thankful for veterans and those presently serving!  My dad was a WWII pilot, my fnl was a WWII medic in the Navy,

I have 2 bnl's that served in Nam, my husband is a partially disabled Nam-era vet, my snl was shot when he served in Bosnia,

and all 4 of my kiddos are veterans of both Operation Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.  Two of my sons are career and

one of them just returned from Afghanistan.  As for me?  I'm "just the mom" that has endured thro 7 deployments...but greatly praising

God for keeping my kiddos.  Yes!  I am thankful for all of those who have served our country!  It is a blessing to go up to complete

strangers that are OBviously vets...and thank them for their service.  Their eyes always take on a bit of a sparkle when their service

is appreciated! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

My Dad was in the army air force during ww1

My uncle was killed in the Korean War

4 of my 5 brothers were in the service.. 2 during the viet nam war..

I have a nephew who is a captain in the service and a great nephew who is in military school studying to be an officer 

I appreciate all of you who have served our country and fought for our freedom

Archived