• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Thank you to all Veterans

Pastor Matt

• Administrators

My Dad was in the Navy from 1959-1969. He served in Vietnam. Although there is no proof of it, we believe that his exposure to Agent Orange while in 'Nam caused his cancer (his diabetes and its complications were from Orange, also - proven by the VA). Agent Orange is known to cause several cancers, but this one hasn't been linked yet. It probably will be one day. So, even though my Dad didn't die in service, he probably did die as a result of it.

I know that, even if Agent Orange was the cause of his cancer, he would do it over again. He loved America.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My Dad's Dad - WWI - US Army
My Dad - WWII - US Navy
Me - US Navy - 1978 - 1993
My son - US Navy - 2008 - 2012. My son's last day of service is this Friday (April 6, 2012). It will be good to have him home until he goes off to college.

• Administrators

My Dad's Dad - WWI - US Army
My Dad - WWII - US Navy
Me - US Navy - 1978 - 1993
My son - US Navy - 2008 - 2012. My son's last day of service is this Friday (April 6, 2012). It will be good to have him home until he goes off to college.

WOW! Has it been 4 years already? I'm so glad for you that he's coming home soon (well, then leaving for college...). And it's good to see you back on here.

• Members

My Dad was in the Navy from 1959-1969. He served in Vietnam. Although there is no proof of it, we believe that his exposure to Agent Orange while in 'Nam caused his cancer (his diabetes and its complications were from Orange, also - proven by the VA). Agent Orange is known to cause several cancers, but this one hasn't been linked yet. It probably will be one day. So, even though my Dad didn't die in service, he probably did die as a result of it.

I know that, even if Agent Orange was the cause of his cancer, he would do it over again. He loved America.

Parkinsons Disease has made he list too, I have dementia, and I believe it is a result of agent orange also, along with my diabetes and serosis of the liver.

I was at the USAPAC headquarters in Long Bien, one of the heaviest sprayed areas in Nam. No, I wasn't an officer, just stationed there as a sp/4. The VA does not recognize demantia yet, nor, I believe do they recognize serosis.

• Administrators

Parkinsons Disease has made he list too, I have dementia, and I believe it is a result of agent orange also, along with my diabetes and serosis of the liver.

I was at the USAPAC headquarters in Long Bien, one of the heaviest sprayed areas in Nam. No, I wasn't an officer, just stationed there as a sp/4. The VA does not recognize demantia yet, nor, I believe do they recognize serosis.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that dementia and cirrhosis are from Agent Orange! That stuff is nasty, nasty. And special thanks need to go out to all of our servicemen who put their lives on the line not just fighting the enemy, but with all the chemicals and stuff they were/are around that affect(s)ed them and their children.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

My father was too old for WW I........ Regarding the pic above......... My cousin Bud Harvey was one of the 52 survivors and was just below that flag when it was raised. He said it is almost exactly as shown in real life............

His greatest memory of it was the days on end of continuous fighting with dead bodies rotting in the sun and the stink of rotting flesh filled the air and in your nostrils non-stop.

Those boys were celebrated no doubt........... Funny one that happened: a buddy of mine as we were entering a room...... this white haired old man did not notice us and Ron motioned for me to be quite......... He sneaked up on him and that OLD MAN grabbed a very strong guy and slammed him on the floor in a GA second. We spent the next 2 hrs talking and he had his papers showing he was one of the 52 survivors as well.

I never knew any that gloried in war or spoke well of it if they spoke at all. Our young men are following the orders of evil old men in their ungodly endeavors. We're in a war in Iraq that should not have been. Our young men however are mostly serving with honor not to the credit of leadership.

• Members

I was honored to serve.
2006-2012
Nuclear Machinist's Mate (06-09) and Engineman (09-12) with Naval Security Forces.
I pray that God continues to watch over the men and women who serve. I know for a FACT that he watched over me!

• Moderators

US Navy, 1983-1993, as a Signalman, (now a defunct rating).
Bootcamp RTC San Diego, (now gone)
SM A school NTC Orlando, FL
Served on board USS Cleveland (LPD-7) out of San Diego and USS Camden (AOE-2) out of Bremerton, WA.
Last three years I was Military/Base police at (formerly) Naval Air Station Miramar, now a Marine Air base.
Also worked with the MIlitary Working Dogs as a decoy/ assistant. Best time I ever had!
I got out as a Clinton-era cutback. Go figure!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I first enlisted in 1975 in the U.S.Navy , active duty on a cruiser. Thought I had enough so stayed out till 1991 and decided I wanted to be the guy to whoop Sadam, so I reenlisted in the reserves as a Seabee . In 2004 I was heading to Afghanistan with my unit and somewhere in all those shots I had a severe reaction and it has disabled me. I now hold a 100% rating from the VA.

• Moderators

US Navy, 1983-1993, as a Signalman, (now a defunct rating).
Bootcamp RTC San Diego, (now gone)
SM A school NTC Orlando, FL
Served on board USS Cleveland (LPD-7) out of San Diego and USS Camden (AOE-2) out of Bremerton, WA.
Last three years I was Military/Base police at (formerly) Naval Air Station Miramar, now a Marine Air base.
Also worked with the MIlitary Working Dogs as a decoy/ assistant. Best time I ever had!
I got out as a Clinton-era cutback. Go figure!

My dad was a skivvie waver, I had plans on striking for radarman (also defunct now), couldn't stand how badly Zumwalt mangled the USN as CNO and chose USAF instead.

Archived