• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why do we allow women to sing in church

• Members

Okay so I asked my husband about this and he says the context is speaking in tongues and preaching. Its dealing with sermons being preached and then being interpreted. (Read the entire chapter) Its not dealing with praising God or testifying...but it is talking about leading men or being involved in the preaching.

Otherwise, he says, women would not even be allowed to say "Hello" in church.... he says the context in this passage is very important.

In our church, the women sing and testify (if its time for testimonies). They also vote silently. They do not speak in business meetings (mostly because when we first got here, women were totally leading the meetings and he had to put a stop to it...plus, business meetings are a form of church leadership) and they do not lead adult choirs or music, and of course they do not preach or speak during the preaching. They also teach children's classes. There's plenty for women to do in church!

• Members

You are coming across as crazy. :icon_rolleyes:

Yeaaaaah.

I do really want to know how your church handles these things. You avoided my question asked previously. Maybe then we all will have a better understanding of where you are coming from in this topic you brought up. You really seem like you want to get everyone riled up and argue (which doesn't seem to be working, everyone seems in agreement here but you) by beating everyone's statement up with more prOBing questions that aren't really doing anything but rewording the same question over and over. Edited by Lisa Anne

• Members

Okay so I asked my husband about this and he says the context is speaking in tongues and preaching. Its dealing with sermons being preached and then being interpreted. (Read the entire chapter) Its not dealing with praising God or testifying...but it is talking about leading men or being involved in the preaching.

Otherwise, he says, women would not even be allowed to say "Hello" in church.... he says the context in this passage is very important.

In our church, the women sing and testify (if its time for testimonies). They also vote silently. They do not speak in business meetings (mostly because when we first got here, women were totally leading the meetings and he had to put a stop to it...plus, business meetings are a form of church leadership) and they do not lead adult choirs or music, and of course they do not preach or speak during the preaching. They also teach children's classes. There's plenty for women to do in church!

So you'd say the context isn't a prohibition about women leading the choir or singing in church, but about leading men in spiritual matters and preaching?

• Members

I would like to say I am sorry to all those who are upset with me. I know I have been sounding much like a Thomas Cooper. This has been a experiment of a sort. I told HappyChristian at the beginning what was going on. I have noticed on this board, as well as in life, many that take the scripture out of context and twist it to say what they want it to. And no matter how we try, they will not look at it with open eyes. I guess we all fall into this group at times, but some are worse than others. I chose these verses and this topic because the verses are very often taken for other places they do not belong. There have been many times I have read that women should not work, (even if single or no children in the home) or esp be in politics, and these are the verses they run to as proof. But that is not what they are saying. They are talking of preaching and teaching IN THE CHURCH. They are not about every day life. But if we want to try and use them for things outside the leadership of the church, we put ourselves into a place we would have to accept that women should not speak or sing in front of men. There was a topic not long ago about the American revolution, trying to prove it was unbiblical for the colonists to declare independence. But with the logic used in that topic we would have to say women cannot sing!! But that is not what the Bible is saying. Again, I would like to say I am sorry to anyone that I got to upset. I think many gave great answers. As to the questions being over and over, that is something we run up on with those who want to push crazy doctrine. And yes I agree I was sounding crazy!!!!! :smilie_loco:4

• Members

I would like to say I am sorry to all those who are upset with me. I know I have been sounding much like a Thomas Cooper. This has been a experiment of a sort. I told HappyChristian at the beginning what was going on. I have noticed on this board, as well as in life, many that take the scripture out of context and twist it to say what they want it to. And no matter how we try, they will not look at it with open eyes. I guess we all fall into this group at times, but some are worse than others. I chose these verses and this topic because the verses are very often taken for other places they do not belong. There have been many times I have read that women should not work, (even if single or no children in the home) or esp be in politics, and these are the verses they run to as proof. But that is not what they are saying. They are talking of preaching and teaching IN THE CHURCH. They are not about every day life. But if we want to try and use them for things outside the leadership of the church, we put ourselves into a place we would have to accept that women should not speak or sing in front of men. There was a topic not long ago about the American revolution, trying to prove it was unbiblical for the colonists to declare independence. But with the logic used in that topic we would have to say women cannot sing!! But that is not what the Bible is saying. Again, I would like to say I am sorry to anyone that I got to upset. I think many gave great answers. As to the questions being over and over, that is something we run up on with those who want to push crazy doctrine. And yes I agree I was sounding crazy!!!!! :smilie_loco:4

I told you I wouldn't break fellowship...just advise you to duck your wife's pots and pans :lol:

• Members

So you'd say the context isn't a prohibition about women leading the choir or singing in church, but about leading men in spiritual matters and preaching?

Well....in choir, usually the leader tells people what to sing and how to sing it...that's leadership. You can't get around the fact that being in front of a group and "leading singing" or "leading the choir" is leadership???? And the context is dealing with leadership in church.....

Of course I suppose if your (hypothetical) church has rock concerts that's not spiritual leadership so whoever wants to lead it, can...haha.

• Members

Actually, the context here is clear as to it speaking to preaching and teaching, just as the context in Romans is clear that Christians are to be OBedient to their government, and one can't be OBedient to their government by turning against them and establishing their own any more than a child can be OBedient to their parents by turning against them and declaring they are now their own authority.

In any event, it isn't right to sow discord through distortion of Scripture even if attempting to make a point.

Scripture supports itself and whether this topic, Christian OBedience to government, man's position in the family, or another, if we leave outside material, personal preference, tradition, things taught to us outside of Scripture and such things out of the way, we can take Scripture for what it says.

• Members

While you didn't tell me what you were doing it was so OBvious I had to join in and play along. It was a very effective manner to TEACH others on this board and make them stop and really think about what the Scriptures say and just not repeat what they've been taught somewhere.

• Members

Actually, the context here is clear as to it speaking to preaching and teaching, just as the context in Romans is clear that Christians are to be OBedient to their government, and one can't be OBedient to their government by turning against them and establishing their own any more than a child can be OBedient to their parents by turning against them and declaring they are now their own authority.

In any event, it isn't right to sow discord through distortion of Scripture even if attempting to make a point.

Scripture supports itself and whether this topic, Christian OBedience to government, man's position in the family, or another, if we leave outside material, personal preference, tradition, things taught to us outside of Scripture and such things out of the way, we can take Scripture for what it says.

:amen:

• Members

When I first saw this topic, I thought, "WOW, this guy is waaaaaay out there!" I thought it was clever and stimulating. While some will chide and rebuke you, I have noticed that it is in those people's natures to chide and rebuke everyone!

• Administrators

John, rancher's point in this thread was, just as he explained, that context can be OBvious and yet people apply their own meanings. As in the American Revolution thread. The context in Romans in no way states that Christians cannot form a new government. That is an extrapolation that is erroneously made and wrongly taught - leading to a severe misunderstanding of what God expects.

Yes, scripture supports itself, and so we can know that, for example, Deborah was a judge raised up by God and judges were leaders because .of the groundwork God laid in the first couple of chapters of Judges. But all too often people try to explain it away because the words "God raised her (him) up" are missing from that particular account. Scripture supports itself in the time of the judges by the beginnings God laid down.

No-one has questioned man's position in the family. But I will say this: each husband makes the decisions God leads him to do for his own particular family. Yep, there are clear cut things where it is OBvious if the man is making a wrong decision. But not every action has a command. And so what my husband decides may not jive with what some of the men on this forum would decide and vice versa, it is not up to any man to tell another man how to lead his family (other than what is clear cut in scripture).

Yep, Christians should OBey the law. But let's remember: the law says abortion is okay. Now, I know the quick answer to that is that we must OBey God rather than man. But the simple fact of the matter is, that if the incumbent government is to be OBeyed as has been presented, then all laws that are passed during that incumbency are ordained and thus of God and must be OBeyed. Explain it away all one wants, but them's the facts.

Actually, the idea rancher brought up is interesting. Especially when you think that Jews and Muslims do not combine men and women in worship. Ahhh - the freedom that comes with Christ!!!

• Members

You certainly had me thinking because I love to participate in the congregational singing at church. Our worship leader would be sorely upset if none of the women sang at our church. Thank you for giving us all some insight in how many can take scripture way out of context to try and prove a point. God bless!

• Members

John, rancher's point in this thread was, just as he explained, that context can be OBvious and yet people apply their own meanings. As in the American Revolution thread. The context in Romans in no way states that Christians cannot form a new government. That is an extrapolation that is erroneously made and wrongly taught - leading to a severe misunderstanding of what God expects.

Yes, scripture supports itself, and so we can know that, for example, Deborah was a judge raised up by God and judges were leaders because .of the groundwork God laid in the first couple of chapters of Judges. But all too often people try to explain it away because the words "God raised her (him) up" are missing from that particular account. Scripture supports itself in the time of the judges by the beginnings God laid down.

No-one has questioned man's position in the family. But I will say this: each husband makes the decisions God leads him to do for his own particular family. Yep, there are clear cut things where it is OBvious if the man is making a wrong decision. But not every action has a command. And so what my husband decides may not jive with what some of the men on this forum would decide and vice versa, it is not up to any man to tell another man how to lead his family (other than what is clear cut in scripture).

Yep, Christians should OBey the law. But let's remember: the law says abortion is okay. Now, I know the quick answer to that is that we must OBey God rather than man. But the simple fact of the matter is, that if the incumbent government is to be OBeyed as has been presented, then all laws that are passed during that incumbency are ordained and thus of God and must be OBeyed. Explain it away all one wants, but them's the facts.

Actually, the idea rancher brought up is interesting. Especially when you think that Jews and Muslims do not combine men and women in worship. Ahhh - the freedom that comes with Christ!!!

I'll stick with what Scripture says.