• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

What are your thoughts on the Ryrie Study Bible? I have been using the Thompson Chain-Reference Bible to gain more understanding of God's Word, but am looking for some more tools to do so. In one of the emails from Brother Cloud, he mentioned the Ryrie. Of course, I would be looking for the KJV version of it.

• Members

I just checked David Cloud's site about the Ryrie Study Bible:

RYRIE STUDY BIBLE

We mentioned the Ryrie Study Bible in earlier editions of this course, but upon further consideration we have stopped recommending it. It has far too many corrections to the KJV.

Ryrie Study Bible

A very long time ago, I used the Ryrie Study Bible (NASB). I didn't care for the study notes. Even in the KJV, we need to be careful and discerning with study notes...they are pretty much man's opinions.

• Members

Like most study Bibles, there is good and bad within. I used one in the late 80s/early 90s. For the most part I liked it but there were some notes I don't agree with or where he isn't clear. Of course, at the same time many of the notes are helpful.

I did get a lot of mileage out of that Bible. While I don't use it much now, I still have it and I call it my Old War Horse because that Bible is filled with my own notes, markings, underlinings, memorization notations, etc.

• Members

My son, my wife, and I started using the Nelson Study Bible (1769 KJV) this year. They like it, I advise caution when using it exclusively in studies. There was something that disagreed with my Barnes Notes but I can't remember (old age) what that was? It has a lot of helps built in:
Book Outlines and Introductory Historical Notes
Concordance
Doctrinal Footnotes
Personality Profiles
Archaeological Sites
8 pages of maps
Center column reference and notes
Special Interest Articles (Parables, Miracles, Prophecies fulfilled of and by Jesus Christ)
Index to annotations, footnotes, profiles, sites

You have to get used to the reference and notes...a little different than some Bibles. However, they have a "How to Use" section.
If you look at discount stores you may find one for a low and very affordable price, under $15. The covers are not made for daily carry and show wear quickly. It would be a good idea to have one on the family bookshelf.

• Members

My son, my wife, and I started using the Nelson Study Bible (1769 KJV) this year. They like it, I advise caution when using it exclusively in studies. There was something that disagreed with my Barnes Notes but I can't remember (old age) what that was? It has a lot of helps built in:
Book Outlines and Introductory Historical Notes
Concordance
Doctrinal Footnotes
Personality Profiles
Archaeological Sites
8 pages of maps
Center column reference and notes
Special Interest Articles (Parables, Miracles, Prophecies fulfilled of and by Jesus Christ)
Index to annotations, footnotes, profiles, sites

You have to get used to the reference and notes...a little different than some Bibles. However, they have a "How to Use" section.
If you look at discount stores you may find one for a low and very affordable price, under $15. The covers are not made for daily carry and show wear quickly. It would be a good idea to have one on the family bookshelf.

Ryrie helped me with learning some of the basic doctrines of the Bible which the Thompson Chain did not although Thompson was great for topical and devotional studies. I would recommend both of them as long as you let it be known that Ryrie corrects the bible on many occasions and Thompson held to Covenant Theology and made no distinction between Israel and the Church which led him to spiritualize a lot of passages of scripture. Edited by Wilchbla

• Members

My first Bible after I was saved was a Ryrie. I like it pretty well, and still have it, but now use a Bible that has nOBody's study notes.

Pretty much my story except it was my first KJB after I was saved. When I was first saved the only Bible I had was an RSV which was given to me when I attended Methodist Sunday school as a child. The Bible I use now has no study notes.