• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Today's New International Version (TNIV)

• Administrators

Today's New International Version was produced to meet the ever-growing spiritual needs of today's generation of believers—as well as to help nourish the next generation of believers—by offering a Bible that faithfully communicates the timeless truths of God's Word.

Like the original NIV was not bad enough.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm not KJV-only, but I do agree that the TNIV is messed up. Tons of horrid translations. Of course, I don't really like any translation completely, considering they all have stuff wrong (from what I've seen) - like, translating baptizo "baptize" rather the "immerse", the literal translation. And, in some instances, translating ekklesia "assembly" rather than "Church."
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14.

Edited by Crushmaster

• Members

I'm not KJV-only, but I do agree that the TNIV is messed up. Tons of horrid translations. Of course, I don't really like any translation completely, considering they all have stuff wrong (from what I've seen) - like, translating baptizo "baptize" rather the "immerse", the literal translation. And, in some instances, translating ekklesia "assembly" rather than "Church."
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14.

The word "baptize" was used by protestants BEFORE 1611, there was no error in translating the word as "baptize".

You want to do great things for God, but you think you can set yourself up as an authority over His word? Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members
The word "baptize" was used by protestants BEFORE 1611, there was no error in translating the word as "baptize".

You want to do great things for God, but you think you can set yourself up as an authority over His word?

I'm saying people are translating stuff wrong. I'm not saying the Greek or the Hebrew is wrong.

Look at the word baptizo:
THAYER'S DICTIONARY:
G907
βαπτίζω
baptizō
Thayer Definition:
1) to dip repeatedly, to immerse, to submerge (of vessels sunk)
2) to cleanse by dipping or submerging, to wash, to make clean with water, to wash one’s self, bathe
3) to overwhelm
Part of Speech: verb
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from a derivative of G911
Citing in TDNT: 1:529, 92

STRONG'S DICTIONARY:
G907
βαπτίζω
baptizō
bap-tid'-zo
From a derivative of G911; to make whelmed (that is, fully wet); used only (in the New Testament) of ceremonial ablution, especially (technically) of the ordinance of Christian baptism: - baptist, baptize, wash.
God bless,
Joel ><>.

• Members

The word "baptize" means to immerse so it's an accurate translation. I've even heard those who practice other means of "baptism" say they knew what the word baptize means, but then go on to give various excuses as to why it's okay to use other methods.

Amazing how many things in Scripture folks are willing to twist.

• Members

I'm saying people are translating stuff wrong. I'm not saying the Greek or the Hebrew is wrong.

Baptize was an English word before 1611, therefore it was not translitereated it was translated.

Which Greek is the right Greek? There's more than one. In fact, there's over 5700 manuscripts extant today, and two major lines - the Textus Receptus and the Critical Text. History has proven that God has blessed the Textus Receptus, but there are thirty editions of it - which one do you place as your authority?

• Administrators

God bless,
Joel ><>

If you have found that they all have translational errors, then I think you would be the one to have the authority to make a new translation. If you know they all are wrong, why haven't you given us a accurate Bible in English?

• Members
If you have found that they all have translational errors, then I think you would be the one to have the authority to make a new translation. If you know they all are wrong, why haven't you given us a accurate Bible in English?

Give me time, brother, and maybe I will, if it's the Lord's Will.
God bless,
Joel ><>.

• Members

Bibles, keeping on keeping on coming up with new versions, is somewhat like lining up 100 1st graders, telling the 1st one a statement, in having it passed on until its been said to the last one, what you get want be what you started out with.

As for me, I'll stick with the real one.

• Members

Give me time, brother, and maybe I will, if it's the Lord's Will.
God bless,
Joel ><>.

Wow. I suggest you read the book The Men Behind the King James Bible and be humbled by the intellectual genius and spirituality of the men who translated the King James Bible before even considering that you could usurp what God has done already.

Josh, I suggest you trust and believe the version that God has blessed historically with the greatest revivals the world has ever seen. There's no such thing as "the originals", like I said, there's over 5,700 manuscripts that all differ with each other. If you believe God's promise to preserve His word (Ps. 12:6-7), the only place it could be today would be the KJV.

Then again, maybe you just don't believe can God keep his promises? Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

My Sunday school teacher talked about a book (or books) he read about the people who translated the Bible and how it eventually came down to the KJV. He talked about the great deal of detail they showed that when one person translated a book the others would read it and if one tiny little mistake was made they shred it and started him over. It was a quick little conversation we had but I have been meaning to ask him what book/books it was he read. I'll have to look in The Men Behind the King James Bible.

These new bibles pop up in a matter of years as if it were a nonchalant sort of activity.

Edited by Lisa Anne