• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hate it when....

Anon

• Members

I just hate it when people ask my kids what they are going to be for Halloween!!! And then, when the kids look at them weird and say "nothing", they look at us like we are some sort of religious-nut-child-abuser!!!! As if our kids don't already get WAY TOO MUCH candy at church and school and stuff!!!!!! Grrr.

The second worst is when people say "What is Santa Claus gonna bring you?" *sigh* My kids say "My parents give us presents" and still we get that "You are mean parents" look.

Oh well.

• Members

The lost, and even many professing Christians, are lost in their own little worlds of worldliness and believe all others are right there with them.

Most people don't know the roots of Halloween or even that much about Christmas. To the world, and even many professing Christians, such are just innocent entertainment for the kids that adults can have fun with too.

I've noticed over the years they have really "sexed up" both "holidays". There are some very, very, even extremely immodest costumes out there for women to wear on Halloween and even Christmas type outfits for that holiday. As bad as that is, I've noticed they have such for teens and even tweens! How sad to see a mother and her daughters dressed like prostitutes parading the streets on Halloween and hanging out at parties.

But yeah, back to the topic, it can be frustrating constantly hearing folks make comments or give "looks" because our children are not being raised as they think they should.

• Members

I just hate it when people ask my kids what they are going to be for Halloween!!! And then, when the kids look at them weird and say "nothing", they look at us like we are some sort of religious-nut-child-abuser!!!! As if our kids don't already get WAY TOO MUCH candy at church and school and stuff!!!!!! Grrr.

The second worst is when people say "What is Santa Claus gonna bring you?" *sigh* My kids say "My parents give us presents" and still we get that "You are mean parents" look.

Oh well.

I know exactly what you mean. We have never celebrated Halloween or allowed Santa Clause into our home with our daughter. Yet, many in our family and even some at the church consider us weird and crazy because of it. I can understand some in our family doing it because they may not be saved or they go to a liberal church. I can not understand how people in our church - which preaches the truth from God's Word - would look down on us because we want to live separated lives unto God. It is truly sad how worldly many Christians live these days.

In Christ,
PreacherE

• Members

It seems, those of the world think everyone else joins in on all their fun and games. Sadly, for the most part its true, for even many Christian families and churches do join in with the horrible things they do, having these events at their churches.

I've got an elderly woman church member that thinks I'm mean because I stand firmly against books about witches and that kind of junk. She brought such a book to church one evening, I looked through it and said the only good thing this book is good for is to set on fire and burn it, that I would not allow it in my house and I do not like it to be in this church building. Some of the people that look at that junk as make believe just cannot understand how dangerous it is, and that it goes against everything God teaches us in the Bible.

I might add, everyone else present that evening seemed to understand why I OBject to that type of junk.

• Members

I guess these people figure everyone who lived more than 50 years ago were childabusers because both Christmas and Halloween as they are celebrated these days in America are relatively new. Dressing up for Halloween and "trick or treating" in America didn't start until the late 50's. Both holidays really are nothing but a money making scam.

• Members

I've seen that look. I seen it the other day when I went I took my one son to the Post office at lunch time to mail out a dvd. Someone asked "What no school today" I got the look when I said "We home school."

We've got that many times too. It's always, "Why aren't you in school today?" A few people have a positive attitude when he says he's homeschooled but most get that look on their face and go "Ohhhhhh..."

Suzy, true Christmas isn't new in America but the way it's celebrated is rather new. Christmas became very commercialized in the 20th century and along with the commercialization came more of an emphasis upon non-Christ aspects, until where we are today where some people don't even want to say "Christmas" because it has Christ in it, and Christian related matters are pushed aside so Santa, Grinch, reindeer and snowmen take center stage. And the reason for Christmas? PRESENTS! And not only presents, but EXPENSIVE presents! It's the time of year children and adults are both encouraged to beg for those expensive things they want (yes, most often it's wants and not needs) and everyone is made to feel guilty if they don't provide the expensive gifts.