• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Disagreeing parents

• Members

Ok so this might be a little long.

I recently started going to this Baptist youth group and have had my eyes opened to God. However my parents are both Catholics and are raising me as one. They aren't very strong in there faith and I feel like just what I've learned from this youth group and a recent camp I went to has outweighed anything I've ever heard about God before. I did a little research about Baptists and such and agree with basically everything. Exspecially with being baptized once you understand. I went through conformation at the Catholic church but don't feel any ties to it.

Here's the tricky part- I really want to go to the baptist church but my mom thinks that I just wanna go to be with friends. She thinks I'm being "brain washed". So whenever I just mention the topic she shoots it down. How do I get her to reason with me? Or just stay close to God until I move out?

Another completely unrelated question:
Is it true baptists aren't aloud to dance?
And can you date?

• Members

Read and study the New Testament and live your life as the Word says. Let your new life in Christ shine for your mother, and others, to see. No arguing or debating with you mother will be of help but if she can see positive change in you and if she asks about it and you explain how Jesus is working in your life, the Holy Ghost may use this to reach your mother.

• Administrators

Miranda, I noticed in your post that you didn't say anything about Jesus Christ. While you were at the youth group or camp, did you trust Christ as your Saviour? Baptism isn't to take place until one has turned to Christ and Christ alone for salvation - not just an understanding. I'm not trying to imply that you didn't accept Christ, I'm just trying to clarify for sake of the discussion.

As to your parents. Because of the impulsiveness of youth, often parents view their child(ren)'s desire to change as a result of peer pressure or desire to be with friends. And parents have the desire to protect their children from what they see as a mistake. That is what is most likely going on with your mom. She and your dad, although not strong in their own faith, don't want to see you hurt by venturing into another faith. Try to understand it from her perspective so that you don't get angry with her.

That said, John gave you some excellent advice. Study the Bible. Do you have any study aids to help you? If not, perhaps you could talk to the leader of the youth group you went to and ask for some. And pray. Once we have accepted Christ as our Saviour, we have the right as children of God to approach God's Throne in prayer. What a blessing! Pour out your heart to Him: He knows your desire to be in church. Talk to Him about that and about any other concern of your heart. He hears and answers...

For the most part, Baptists don't dance because of what very often takes place during and after the dance.

Yes, we date. Some churches do chaperoned dating, some double dating, some courting, which involves various people being present during the time period the couple is together. And, too, it depends to a great degree on the parents' wishes and standards.

• Members

...and as far as standards are concerned in anything...it doesn't come from "church rules" but rather what God teaches in the Bible. Like HC said, its not really that "Baptists don't dance" but that much of the things involved in dancing, God teaches against in Scripture (such as girls and guys who are not married, touching....and wicked music, etc).

If you are saved and have the Holy Spirit in your heart, He will teach you as you read God's Word.

• Members

Dancing is a very good way to arouse 'the lust of the flesh,' so why dance if it will influence you to sin against God?

Confirmation isn't bibical, isn't in the Bible, its bibical to get saved, them get baptized, that is in the Bible.

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Romans 10:9-10 (KJV)

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Romans 10:13 (KJV)

• Members

Thanks for all the helpful answers so far, in concern to accepting Christ as my savior, sorry to not have made that clear. I absouloutly accept him and love him for what he's done! And thanks for the helpful advice on my parents. Ive taken into consideration that they might just think I'm rebelling, so I will try to show them how much good Jesus does for me.

• Members

Miranda, I too was raised in a Catholic home. I heard the same type of things that your mother is telling you, but I also knew that what I had with Jesus was real. He will see you through. There are times when we must put Him before family, if necessary, but that should be a last resort; it is very painful to do so, but the Lord gives us grace at times like that.

The advice you have been given already is the best advice for you at this time in your life. Keep reading, studying, and praying, and the Lord will give you the grace you need. Believing that is a part of our daily faith.

OBey your parents as much as you can, and be kind and tenderhearted, so that your light will burn brightly before them; it won't always be easy, but it is always worthwhile.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

You can learn a lot from the Bible and about God in the Catholic church, as you can in any church that regularly reads the Word of God. Read teh Bible, pray, and seek to ask God to draw near to you as you draw near to him. Are there other people your age in your Catholic church? Talk to them as well. Talk to your priest about what you are going through. God can and will work in the situation you are in. You may not agree in all of the doctrine of the church, but we can certainly all agree that Jesus did, was barried, rose again, and will come again to judge the living and the dead. Seek to understand your parents faith and talk to them about what you are going through. Ask them to seek to understand you. Do you want to be with your friends, or is it because the firends at the Baptist church encourage you to draw near to God, and your friends at the Catholic church do not? Explain what you are feeling and going through and keep an open dialogue with your parents.

There are good faithful believers in Catholic and Baptist churches alike. Seek them out where you are and ask them to help you grown in your faith. I understand wanting to be with your friends. If you just want to be with your friends because their church is more fun, that is the wrong reason. If they truly encourage you go grown in your faith, and the friends at the Catholic church do not, then that is a good reason to want to go. Explain and talk about yoru feelings with your parents. Not to convince them to let you go, but to let them know what you are going through and why you want to go.

• Members

An aged friend of mine who died last year, often told of his mother who was raised in a Catholic family in Ireland. She was deaf and dumb and a friend invited her to Gospel Preaching when dhe was 16 and offered to sign for her. She went and was converted. She went home and told her father and he pointed and said "Out." I don't know if she ever saw her family again. She was cared for by a family in the church and eventually came to England. She seemed to have grown into a fine Christian woman, starting a club in Sheffield for the deaf and dumb where she could teach the gospel to those who could not hear.

My friend was the only one in his family who could hear. His parents and siblings were all deaf and dumb.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I recently visited with a precious lady who is 85, her testimony goes something like this, and is a short version. At about 50 several of her 8 children started getting saved. Their come to their parents to witness to them. Mom and dad told them that they were confused, and that they were listening to heretical teachings. An older son and his wife, challenge his parents to read the Bible and show them in the Scriptures where the Catholic church was right and they (the children) were wrong, and if they (parents) could then they (children) would return to the Catholic church. She said it took them awhile and she and her husband couldn't do it and in the process came to Christ as their Saviour. As a matter of fact is was so great we sat in her kitchen and sang "I'll Fly Away."

In short if they will accept the challenge, ask them to show you in the "Bible", where the Baptist belief is wrong. Not books written by priests or the church.

• Members

Miranda, it is difficult to live for the Lord when much or most of your family and friends are against you. Even though I'm older, I can understand some of your concerns. Most of my family have forsaken me because I take a strong stand for Christ, the Bible, and a godly life. The Lord has given me grace to continue seeking Him. Keep this one thing in mind to keep Christ as the OBject of your life during prayer, reading the Bible, and all activities. He is there for you already. There is so much good advice above but, I caution you in returning to something you know to be wrong.

My son is seeking a wife, this is his prayer and mine daily. He wants God to find his and is trusting Him to find this person. He has also decided that God may not have a wife for Him and has accepted this possibility.

God has someone for you, a young man living for God and praying that the Lord will send a woman who honors the Lord. Honoring God takes great courage only God and the Holy Spirit can provide. Make it your prayer to live godly in Christ Jesus and He will provide a mate for the rest of your life. That doesn't mean God won't give you trials and tests before you find that one or after you find that one...you will need Christ as the OBject of your life.

A song for you.