• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Should we automatically assume

• Members

Hosea 8:3 [i]Israel hath cast off the thing that is good[/i]: the enemy shall pursue him.
Hosea 8:4 [u]They have set up kings[/u], [u]but not by me[/u]: th[u]ey have made princes[/u], and [u]I knew it not[/u]: of their silver and their gold have they made them idols, that they may be cut off.

Should we automatically assume that one who is elected president has God's stamp of approval? Yes, God did allow then to become president, but that does not necessarily mean God approves of them.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think just about every leaders sort of get elected. Although not all have election, it's just matter of how many people support that person. Adolf Hitler was not born a leader, but he became one when people followed him. But he didn't last very long though.And neither do any of our presidents. I'm think more of a King and Queen who are leaders for life.

• Members

This is something I've wondered about, studied about.

I know there are Baptist pastors and preachers who teach that every president we get is of God.

I can understand that God allows it, but inside I just can't come to terms that everyone of them are of God's choosing.

Thought I would post it here and see what y'all had to say about it.

• Administrators

If God puts them there then He does "approve" them for that position, otherwise He would have made a mistake. However, it does not mean that is who God would like at that position or puts His stamp of approval on them. In Scripture we see that God placed leaders in position for Judgment.

I guess it would depend on what our definition of "approve" means.

• Members

[quote="BroMatt"]If God puts them there then He does "approve" them for that position, otherwise He would have made a mistake. However, it does not mean that is who God would like at that position or puts His stamp of approval on them. In Scripture we see that God placed leaders in position for Judgment.

I guess it would depend on what our definition of "approve" means.[/quote]

In the scriptures I posted above, they made leaders of men God did not approve of.

So it makes me think God allowed it, but there were consequences for them picking ungodly leaders.

Hosea 8:3 Israel hath cast off the thing that is good: the enemy shall pursue him.
Hosea 8:4 T[b]hey have set up kings[/b], [u]but not by me[/u]: they have made princes, and I knew it not: of their silver and their gold have they made them idols, that they may be cut off.

• Members

Good posts Jerry and Bro Matt. :thumb

God does indeed put forth leaders he can't "approve of" in order to punish wicked people and nations.

It also seems that when people have a choice in their leaders and they choose wicked leaders then they are held accountable for that.

• Members

I am considering the wicked leaders of this world like the Pharoah in Egypt who tried to kill Moses, and King Herod who had all of the male babies 2 yrs old and under slaughtered in hopes of destroying the Christ Child, and I am thinking of Hitler and Stalin who came to power and were the embodied spirit of the Anti-Christ. I think that God, being All Knowing, KNOWS who will be in power, but I do not think he necessarily APPROVES of everyone who comes to power and authority. I tend to sometimes think it is sort of like a Cosmic Chess game between Satan and God. Satan rules the earth, and will possess whomever he chooses - people who lust for power and glory are his favorite victims - and when that happens God has to step in and protect His Children. Even though the Jews are His chosen people, God did not save all of them, and 6 million of them were destroyed by Hitler. But there were enough saved that Satan could not completely exterminate them, no matter how hard he tries - every so many thousand years Satan does his best to destroy God's people.

• Members

Jdg 21:25 In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes

Its quite clean, God allowed those in that day to do that which was right in their own eyes, its true today, but thankfully for us who love God.

Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

This is true.

[quote="John81"]Good posts Jerry and Bro Matt. :thumb

God does indeed put forth leaders he can't "approve of" in order to punish wicked people and nations.

It also seems that when people have a choice in their leaders and they choose wicked leaders then they are held accountable for that.[/quote]

:amen: :goodpost:

[quote="SarahStrawberry"]I think God allows. Yes, He chooses who would be best as our president but it's like salvation. He has chosen all of us for Salvation but the deciding factor is up to us. Make sense? He can and has moved in a way so that His will comes about but He doesn't always.[/quote]

Well said, Sarah. :thumb

[quote="IM4given"]I am considering the wicked leaders of this world like the Pharoah in Egypt who tried to kill Moses, and King Herod who had all of the male babies 2 yrs old and under slaughtered in hopes of destroying the Christ Child, and I am thinking of Hitler and Stalin who came to power and were the embodied spirit of the Anti-Christ. I think that God, being All Knowing, KNOWS who will be in power, but I do not think he necessarily APPROVES of everyone who comes to power and authority.[b] I tend to sometimes think it is sort of like a Cosmic Chess game between Satan and God. Satan rules the earth, and will possess whomever he chooses - people who lust for power and glory are his favorite victims - and when that happens God has to step in and protect His Children.[/b] Even though the Jews are His chosen people, God did not save all of them, and 6 million of them were destroyed by Hitler. But there were enough saved that Satan could not completely exterminate them, no matter how hard he tries - every so many thousand years Satan does his best to destroy God's people.[/quote]

Good point, IM. :smile

• Members

It is (IMO) this terrible thing called "free moral agency". We have been given the power and mental faculty for choosing....and so we choose our path, our life, our leaders, our church, our wife, our on and on and on.....

But a little verse in Galatians warns us....God is not mocked whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap... So if we sow a bad choice in say the choosing of a wife....we may reap in tears the fruit of adultery, fornication, promiscuity, pride, jealousy, broken children, broken homes, broken testimony, financial ruin, etc...

I fear our "right to choose" [as so many foolish people brag on] is a horrible power that lets us bring ruin upon our own selves if not prayerfully and cautiously used. Our nation has chosen to set up its silver idol and I greatly anticipate God's wrath to pour down upon this nation for that choice. I am interested keenly in why America is not figured among the end times prophecy.

I think to say God chose our president is like a man marrying an unequal yoke wife.....entirely opposite to scripture and then supposing God has approved of the union and the wife and expecting God to bless it.

• Members
It is (IMO) this terrible thing called "free moral agency". We have been given the power and mental faculty for choosing....and so we choose our path, our life, our leaders, our church, our wife, our on and on and on.....

But a little verse in Galatians warns us....God is not mocked whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap... So if we sow a bad choice in say the choosing of a wife....we may reap in tears the fruit of adultery, fornication, promiscuity, pride, jealousy, broken children, broken homes, broken testimony, financial ruin, etc...

I fear our "right to choose" [as so many foolish people brag on] is a horrible power that lets us bring ruin upon our own selves if not prayerfully and cautiously used. Our nation has chosen to set up its silver idol and I greatly anticipate God's wrath to pour down upon this nation for that choice. I am interested keenly in why America is not figured among the end times prophecy.

I think to say God chose our president is like a man marrying an unequal yoke wife.....entirely opposite to scripture and then supposing God has approved of the union and the wife and expecting God to bless it.

So, you are saying that God has done a terrible thing by creating us and ordaining us to have the ability to choose, rather than be programmed robots?

• Members

On the contrary tr, I dare not and surely you would not, charge God foolishly nor sin with my mouth by saying he did something wrong. That is impossible. Rather, I am saying our ability to choose is a terrible power. For with that power a man can send himself screaming in horror to a devil's hell or he can send himself to his knees in repentance and call upon Jesus to save his soul! I am saying that our power to choose - can be a terrible thing as is evidenced in the lives of many. Go to an abortion clinic, a jail, a prison, a rehab center, or a detox center and you get to see first hand how the power to choose is, in some people's hands, a terrible self destructive thing.

We have the power to choose a president that loves the Lord and will lead as a Christian or we have the power to choose a devil. We have used our power of choice to choose a devil (IMO). Getting the topic back on thread, I mean we can not expect God to bless or be responsible for the choices we make with this power to choose we're so proud of.