• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Salt substitute....before or after.

• Administrators

Depending on your reasons for salt substitute, you might want to look at sea salt. It is supposed to be very good for people. My Dad uses it and loves it.

Salting before or during cooking is actually a personal preference. I rarely salt much while cooking so that whoever eats the food may salt according to their own taste. Now, if I salt something while cooking, my hubby automatically reaches for the shaker at times and I have to warn him that it's salted. :icon_mrgreen:

• Members

Super! Sea Salt is preferred.

Yea, I was thinking before as well, because I thought about the crystallization affect, and as such thought that I might as well be pouring it straight in my mouth, because it is not de-crystaled yet. Does that kind of make since to you guys?

• Administrators

Super! Sea Salt is preferred.

Yea, I was thinking before as well, because I thought about the crystallization affect, and as such thought that I might as well be pouring it straight in my mouth, because it is not de-crystaled yet. Does that kind of make since to you guys?

Yes, it does. Iodized salt dissolves quickly, so the crystallization wouldn't be as much. Sea salt, however, doesn't dissolve as quickly so putting it in while cooking would be best.

• Members

If you steam vegetables, they don't need salt, in fact electric steamers usaually say you shouldn't use salt. It keeps more of the flavour of the vegetables as well.

Better still is conservative cooking.

• Members

If you steam vegetables, they don't need salt, in fact electric steamers usaually say you shouldn't use salt. It keeps more of the flavour of the vegetables as well.

Whoa! Really? Ok, I am going to do that.

• Members

I am assuming the preservatives used in the packaging process is the reason?

• Members

I am assuming the preservatives used in the packaging process is the reason?

Not so. Fresh organic vegetables also need no salt if you steam them. Also steaming vegetables mean you don't usually need so many as you do not boil things like starch from them.

Conserative cooking.

When we were first married my wife always cooked conservatively.

You wash your vegetables and place them in a pot with about 1 tbsp of boiing water, add vegetables and turn down to a low simmer. It is best if you use a heavy pan with a close fitting lid. Again, a lid with little bumps inside helps to baste the veg. Add water if needed, not more than 1 tbsp at a time. When the vegetables are cooked, if you have more than 1 tbsp water left, you have added too much. An alternative is to toss them in the pot with butter to seal them. You won't taste better vegetables. You may not even have to add any water as most veg give off plenty of water.

• Members

Not so. Fresh organic vegetables also need no salt if you steam them. Also steaming vegetables mean you don't usually need so many as you do not boil things like starch from them.

Conserative cooking.

You wash your vegetables and place them in a pot with about 1 tbsp of boiing water, add vegetables and turn down to a low simmer. It is best if you use a heavy pan with a close fitting lid. Again, a lid with little bumps inside helps to baste the veg. Add water if needed, not more than 1 tbsp at a time. When the vegetables are cooked, if you have more than 1 tbsp water left, you have added too much. An alternative is to toss them in the pot with butter to seal them. You won't taste better vegetables. You may not even have to add any water as most veg give off plenty of water.

Agreed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Conserative cooking.

Thanks for the advice.