• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Scripture Demands Strict Biblicist Position (Ps. 119:128)

• Members
Screen shot 2010-10-13 at 9.48.31 AM
OctOBer 13, 2010 (David Cloud, Fundamental Baptist Information Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061, 866-295-4143, fbns@wayoflife.org; for instructions about subscribing and unsubscribing or changing addresses, see the information paragraph at the end of the article) -

“Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way” (Psalm 119:128).

There is a fierce attack today on a strict Biblicist position. It is hated by evangelicals, the emerging church, Southern Baptists, most Presbyterians and Methodists and Lutherans.

Brian McLaren said the emerging church is targeting our children and grandchildren with the OBjective of leading them away from separatism. Recently Gabe Lyons (shown above) said he is excited about (supposed) death of separatist Christianity (“End of Christian America is Good, Says Young Evangelical,”
Christian Post, Oct. 12, 2010).

Even among those who still claim to be fundamentalists and who say that they are opposed to New Evangelicalism and the Emerging Church, there is a softening of stance, a moderation of militancy, less forthrightness, less naming names, less plainness in warning. How many Independent Baptist schools/churches even have warning conferences? When is the last time that you hear of a large IB school that had a conference on Separation?

View the full article

• Members

Biblical is so much easier.

I would think both words are separate; biblicist and Biblical:

bib·li·cist/ˈbibləsist/Noun
1. One who is an expert in the Bible.
2. One who interprets the Bible literally

Definition of BIBLICAL

1: of, relating to, or being in accord with the Bible
2: suggestive of the Bible or Bible times

Just a thought Edited by Saved IFB

• Members

The point about the lack of naming names is something that's bothered me for a long while now. Why warn about something regarding someone or some place and then say you're not going to name names? How much of a warning is that?

If I know one store in town is selling tainted meat that can cause serious prOBlems or even death and I announce this but refuse to say which store have I really warned people away from where the actual danger is? Have I pointed them to safe places?

• Members

The point about the lack of naming names is something that's bothered me for a long while now. Why warn about something regarding someone or some place and then say you're not going to name names? How much of a warning is that?

If I know one store in town is selling tainted meat that can cause serious prOBlems or even death and I announce this but refuse to say which store have I really warned people away from where the actual danger is? Have I pointed them to safe places?

Agreed, John, but some of it may have to do with libel and slander laws, or just plain politeness.

• Members

Agreed, John, but some of it may have to do with libel and slander laws, or just plain politeness.

I was speaking along the lines of a pastor warning about the false teachings of someone/some church but then not saying who. This wouldn't fall into the libel or slander category.

I've heard pastors warn that a "popular Christian author" is teaching false doctrine in his books and folk shouldn't read them, but then he won't mention the authors name. How is one to avoid the books by this author if they don't know who he is?

• Members

I was speaking along the lines of a pastor warning about the false teachings of someone/some church but then not saying who. This wouldn't fall into the libel or slander category.

I've heard pastors warn that a "popular Christian author" is teaching false doctrine in his books and folk shouldn't read them, but then he won't mention the authors name. How is one to avoid the books by this author if they don't know who he is?

Doncha know that they're just supposed to read his mind?

Good point, John.

• Members

A fellow in our church was reading a book, the writer would speak of this and that false teacher or teachings, yet would never put a name on them, he said why warn us of them if he will not put a name on them?

Could it be lack of courage?