• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

...a broken and a contrite heart...

• Members
Psalm 51:17
King James Version
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise .

Would someone please explain this to me?

Is this pertaining to salvation or forgiveness after salvation? Edited by Saved IFB

• Members

Would someone please explain this to me?

Is this pertaining to salvation or forgiveness after salvation?

In the context: after salvation. Psalm 51 is a believer coming to God for forgiveness, cleansing, and restoration of fellowship.
But verse 17 can also apply to a sinner coming to Jesus for the first time.
A sinner must come "as a little child" with a repentent heart, or there is no salvation. Edited by heartstrings

• Members

In the context: after salvation. Psalm 51 is a believer coming to God for forgiveness, cleansing, and restoration of fellowship.
But verse 17 can also apply to a sinner coming to Jesus for the first time.
A sinner must come "as a little child" with a repentent heart, or there is no salvation.

:amen:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Thanks for this topic; very helpful indeed. Psalm 51 and this verse were very influential to me when I was first coming to Christ. I first read the verse in a poem that referenced it and then it (the psalm) was read out at a service I attended a short while later.

Ah! happy they whose hearts can break
And peace of pardon win!
How else may man make straight his plan
And cleanse his soul from Sin?
How else but through a broken heart
May Lord Christ enter in?

And he of the swollen purple throat,
And the stark and staring eyes,
Waits for the holy hands that took
The Thief to Paradise;
And a broken and a contrite heart
The Lord will not despise.

• Members

Dr. Hyles sees it as a Psalm of repentance, but I agree that it can be applied to the sinner who has been brought under conviction by the Holy Spirit.
Bro. Hyles did not believe in copywriting his material (as I believe also) so it is public domain. This is from his book "The Story Behind the Psalm", and can be found online, and downloaded at http://www.jackhyles.com/index2.htm.

The Story Behind The Psalm

After David committed his sin concerning the death of Uriah and his unholy relationship with Bathsheba and after the death of their boy, a prophet named Nathan came to David and lovingly but sharply rebuked him for his sin. David was convicted, and he repented. He came to God and sought forgiveness in one of the most moving times of his life. He was forgiven. Psalm 51 is a penitential Psalm. It is David's prayer for forgiveness after his sin. In verses 1-4 he seeks forgiveness. In verses 5-12 he pleads for restoration. In verses 13-17 we find his promise to do better, and in verses 18 and 19 he asks God not to make his people suffer for his sin. Oh, the emotion that filled such statements as found in verse 1, "Have mercy upon me, 0 God, according to Thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of Thy tender mercies blot out my trangressions." Then in verse 2, "Cleanse me from my sin." In verse 3, ''For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me." Feel his heartbreak in verse 4, "Against Thee, Thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in Thy sight." Then notice the appeal in verse 7, "Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow." See his appeal for restoration of joy in verse 12. Notice his promise to be a soul winner in verse 13. Have you drifted from God? Have you committed sin? Are you living in iniquity? Then flee to Psalm 51. Read it; make it your prayer.

Edited by irishman