• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Our Moral Code is Outdated

trc123

• Members

Actually, it does. What profit it anyone if they gain the whole world but lose their soul? If I provide food and water for a million people a year yet I don't present them with the Gospel I've done them no good.

Not true. You've done them good, just not the ultimate good. Perhaps by providing for their physical needs you've opened a door to share the gospel with them. Might make a little more sense than telling a bunch of starving people that what they really need to do is concentrate on their spiritual needs, right? Maslow's hierarchy, my friend.

• Members

Bill Gates ethical? Do you know of the past business practices of Microsoft? They have done some very dirty things to make Gates his money. Then they give a very small percentage of money to charity, which is a nice tax write off, and pat themselves on the back. A real man will donate money but not have his name attached to it. Also, I agree, giving food, water, clothing and copies of Windows XP to people does them a disservice if there is no gospel given. That is pure liberal theology which now goes under names such as emergent.

• Members

Not true. You've done them good, just not the ultimate good. Perhaps by providing for their physical needs you've opened a door to share the gospel with them. Might make a little more sense than telling a bunch of starving people that what they really need to do is concentrate on their spiritual needs, right? Maslow's hierarchy, my friend.

You've changed the scenario. If someone is feeding the poor and sharing the Gospel with them that's a wonderful, blessed thing. If someone is simply feeding them without presenting the Gospel they are doing them no good. It matters not if we eat good meals everyday before we die or if we go hungry every day before we die, if our destination is hell.

• Members

You've changed the scenario. If someone is feeding the poor and sharing the Gospel with them that's a wonderful, blessed thing. If someone is simply feeding them without presenting the Gospel they are doing them no good. It matters not if we eat good meals everyday before we die or if we go hungry every day before we die, if our destination is hell.

Maybe I am misunderstanding here, but here I go. The act of feeding and clothing the needy in and of itself is always good. The motives behind the act do not change the goodness of the act. By feeding and clothing the poor you are doing them good. The goodness of the act does not change because the Gospel is not shared. While feeding and clothing them will only do momentarily good, telling them the Gospel will do eternally good.

• Moderators

Apples/Oranges: If a lost man gives food and water, they won't give the gospel -- but, they've kept a life intact that a Christian might reach (in person, by tract, on radio).

If a Christian gives food and water and no gospel, they are placing a higher priority on a life than on a soul (not to say ignore the physical need [living people get saved, dead ones do not]), but don't ignore the spiritual.

If you wait for a lost man to give food and water without recognition (just to do the Biblical thing), don't hold your breath. Edited by OLD fashioned

• Members

Many of the wealthy people do give money away, and they do so for many reasons, among them, tax benefits, to blow their own horn. Yet no man can please God as long as he is walking in the flesh, no matter how much good he does, no matter how much money he gives away, no matter how many poor people he helps.

Romans 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

And its so true, many measure a person by what he has, who he is, even many wealthy Christians do this, how sad.

Makes me thing of Lazarus and the rich man, I would suppose the rich man had a big funeral service, with many paid mourners, as for Lazarus, he prOBably was fortunate if he was ever buried, yet we know Lazarus is now in heaven, for he was not walking in the flesh.

Carl expressed it very good.

"Many who have made a lot of money have poured their heart and soul and all their time into acquiring their wealth. Not all, but many. When they have, is that a good thing?

"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

• Moderators

Many of the wealthy people do give money away, and they do so for many reasons, among them, tax benefits, to blow their own horn. Yet no man can please God as long as he is walking in the flesh, no matter how much good he does, no matter how much money he gives away, no matter how many poor people he helps.

Romans 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

And its so true, many measure a person by what he has, who he is, even many wealthy Christians do this, how sad.

Makes me thing of Lazarus and the rich man, I would suppose the rich man had a big funeral service, with many paid mourners, as for Lazarus, he prOBably was fortunate if he was ever buried, yet we know Lazarus is now in heaven, for he was not walking in the flesh.

Carl expressed it very good.

"Many who have made a lot of money have poured their heart and soul and all their time into acquiring their wealth. Not all, but many. When they have, is that a good thing?

"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

You may not have been responding to my post, but since yours came 7 hrs after mine - - All I'm saying is that you can't expect the lost to act in a spiritual manner with spiritual motives. That doesn't mean that what they did (referencing use of that money, not devotion to the earning of it to exclusion of family, etc.) is worthless (in the physical sense [in the spiritual it is]).

• Members

You may not have been responding to my post, but since yours came 7 hrs after mine - - All I'm saying is that you can't expect the lost to act in a spiritual manner with spiritual motives. That doesn't mean that what they did (referencing use of that money, not devotion to the earning of it to exclusion of family, etc.) is worthless (in the physical sense [in the spiritual it is]).

I can tell from your reply that you have no idea at all about the point I made. Of which my main point was that a lost man cannot please God, no matter how many good works he does, and no matter how many good works he does it will receive him no reward from God, all he can look forward to is the wrath of God in the lake of fire.