• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Obama Voices Strongest Support Yet for Location of Ground Zero Mosque

• Members

Yes, lots of blame was on the media, for jumping the gun.

Just to clear things up, I wasn't against Bush I actually voted for him (well in 2004, I was too young to vote in 2000 :lol: ). I believe the election ended up going the right way, but it was interesting because without the electoral college Gore would have won. It's the way our elections are set up, but of course some people were very upset. Jerry's comments about the courts changing the will of the people got me thinking about that. That court decision could be a dangerous precedent. We have specific things in the Constitution to decide elections where no one receives a majority, but admittedly the election in 2000 was a different animal. Perhaps it wasn't all bad because some reform did come out of it. The media now can't "call" an election or report returns before polls close - which is good because those things can affect a close election.

• Administrators

Exactly, John. But it still persists that the SCOTUS handed the election over to Bush. They simply said enough is enough, quit "recounting" and worrying over hanging and/or "pregnant" chads, etc.

The progressives got enough people together to complain that they thought their card was weird so they weren't sure who they voted for. Interesting thing is that the Sec. of State (Harris) had advertised explanations of how to read the cards...And, too, how in the world can you go back and check to see if a card was punched right? That whole thing was just ridiculous, and I know a number of people who were lifelong Democrats who will never vote Democrat again because of it (I would be the first to say: vote person and issue, not party!).

During that same election, Democrats in other states (where Gore "won" a majority) were giving cigarettes to the homeless to go in and vote...When you have to have an address, how in the world can the homeless vote? Of course, during this last election, a judge in OH said that the homeless could list their park bench.

Oh, and were you aware that the military vote was thrown out? Yep. Their return envelopes weren't stamped with the right date on the cancellation - because there is no cancellation when things are mailed in bulk from overseas military. Nice little loophole, eh?

And the brou-ha-ha about the Republicans messing with the ballots? In actuality, it was BEFORE any ballot was shipped. The printer left off the necessary numbers, so staffers inked them in - no mishandling and absolutely no handling at all after the ballots came back. But that's not how it was reported.

The electoral college was set up by our founders as a protection against major cities controlling elections. Do away with the college, and Seattle, Chicago, NYC, LA, Frisco and a few others will decide who gets to be POTUS. Chilling thought!!

Unfortunately, there are a few states who have signed up to circuMVent the electoral college and are planning on giving their electoral votes to the one with the most popular votes, regardless of how the citizens of that state voted. THAT is wrong! No reason for the people to vote in that case. And that is something the federal government should stop. But it won't because it will eventually benefit those who want to control every aspect of our lives.

• Members

The Supreme Court didn't decide who won the 2000 election per se, what they decided was whether Florida had properly counted the votes and therefore whether the results they presented were valid.

I agree, I was just musing about a potential precedent. Good points, HC. I think the media reforms were good and necessary, but I am not for doing away with the electoral college. As has previously been noted, the collage places importance on places other than just the most populous cities in the country.

Of course we could discuss the emphasis that the electoral college places on swing states, but that's a different discussion entirely. :bleh:

• Members

The Supreme Court didn't decide who won the 2000 election per se, what they decided was whether Florida had properly counted the votes and therefore whether the results they presented were valid.

Exactly, but what I'm saying, one of these days, after the vote is in, the electro college cast its vote or right before, judges are going to step in and say, no, that is wrong, that man will not be president, them give a bunch of lawyer talk explaining why, and we will be stuck with a president the judges want, and remember, we are constantly getting more and more liberal judges that feel they are the law of this land. I might add, many of the now are and they're getting away with it.

• Members

I agree, I was just musing about a potential precedent. Good points, HC. I think the media reforms were good and necessary, but I am not for doing away with the electoral college. As has previously been noted, the collage places importance on places other than just the most populous cities in the country.

Of course we could discuss the emphasis that the electoral college places on swing states, but that's a different discussion entirely. :bleh:

If the electoral college.was done away with, the high populate ares would have the say on who is president, and the low populate areas would have no say.