• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Branded!

• Members

I know a good number of people who have tats who have since gotten saved or right with the Lord (and, really, I can't say I knew their hearts when they got their tats). They are godly people (some of them my favorites...). As I said in a previous post, I don't believe it is right to get a tat. But on the flip side: neither do I believe it is right to make a person who has tats feel that they have committed the unpardonable sin (not saying anyone's done that here...but I have seen that attitude manifested by Christians).

The church I mentioned in my previous post actually encourages people to get tats...

(and just a side note: when our son joined the military, he talked about the possibility of getting a tat. We were not in favor, but realized that it had to be his decision. My hubby was going to use the argument that mom (me) wouldn't like it, so would our son think another woman would? I told my hubby that wouldn't be a good idea - because (please don't attack me for this!) I actually like the look of some tats...That said: I still don't think it's right, nor would I encourage anyone to get one. But neither would I want to make someone who has a tat feel like I'm looking down my nose at him/her.)

All that needed to be told your son is what the Bible, God, says about them, telling us not to do so.

One should never just leave it and let their son and daughter make up their own mind without 1st giving them the proper information.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

All that needed to be told your son is what the Bible, God, says about them, telling us not to do so.

One should never just leave it and let their son and daughter make up their own mind without 1st giving them the proper information.

Since you weren't there, these comments are really not viable. You have no idea what we told him, and I didn't and don't intend to go into detail here. Regardless of what we may or may not say to our son, his choices are his, just as your daughter's are hers. And I wouldn't insult you with this kind of verbal slap and assume that you didn't tell your daughter what the Bible says about a choice she was considering,.

• Members

Very well said! We would all do well not to look down upon others for exercising their liberty in Christ, even if we disagree.

As LuAnne pointed out, no one here has said anything about looking down upon someone because they have a tattoo.

Christians don't have libery in Christ to ignore the Word of God, there is no liberty in Christ to sin.

• Members

As LuAnne pointed out, no one here has said anything about looking down upon someone because they have a tattoo.

Christians don't have libery in Christ to ignore the Word of God, there is no liberty in Christ to sin.

I didn't say that anyone insinuated that, nor did I say that we had liberty to sin. All I did was second her post and complement her on something that I thought was well said. You are reading an awful lot into a one line post.

• Members

I didn't say that anyone insinuated that, nor did I say that we had liberty to sin. All I did was second her post and complement her on something that I thought was well said. You are reading an awful lot into a one line post.

You are the one who referred to folks not looking down upon those who excercise their liberty in Christ in a thread dealing with tattoos. Christians have no liberty in Christ to go against Scripture in this area or any other.

• Administrators

Okay - let's stop with the attacking attitude, okay? John - CPR never intimated anyone here was looking down on anyone. She made a generic statement, not an OBservation of what was going on in this thread - else she wouldn't have agreed with what I said.

• Members

Okay - let's stop with the attacking attitude, okay? John - CPR never intimated anyone here was looking down on anyone. She made a generic statement, not an OBservation of what was going on in this thread - else she wouldn't have agreed with what I said.

I have no "attacking attitude". I made a simple reply to a simple statement and you should know I don't "attack".

The topic of the thread is tattoos and such, to which you made a comment which was replied to. How could such be viewed as a generic statement unrelated to the topic?

The simple fact is, regardless of whether one is referring to tattoos or anything else Scripture speaks against, Christians have no liberty in Christ to ignore this and do as they please.

• Members

Since you weren't there, these comments are really not viable. You have no idea what we told him, and I didn't and don't intend to go into detail here. Regardless of what we may or may not say to our son, his choices are his, just as your daughter's are hers. And I wouldn't insult you with this kind of verbal slap and assume that you didn't tell your daughter what the Bible says about a choice she was considering,.

I finds it amazing, you saying these comment I made are not viable.

In fact I was saying for your husband to have said this, " My hubby was going to use the argument that mom (me) wouldn't like it, so would our son think another woman would," it would be wrong.

Surely you agree that the Christians children needs to know what the Bible says about tattoos, more especially if mother and father knows they're thinking about getting one, don't you? If my comment are not viable on the subject them your plainly saying my post is 100 % wrong.

Remember your not the only one that reads these message boards, I actually said that hoping it might help someone and they would not try nothing like your husband was going to try.

You should try not to be so touchy, my post was in no way an attack.

• Members

I believe that one of the prOBlems is that you can't really talk about anything being wrong without someone OBjecting! I have noticed this on many of my posts, as well as others. of course serving the Lord and soul winning is preeminent over all else, but is that all we can talk about? You can only say so much about soul winning, and such, especially when most of us agree, but there is not much exhortation in that case. We are to exhort one another daily:

Heb 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

In this way we encourage and edify one another, but if something is wrong, we cannot fudge on it, lest we allow the deceitfulness of sin to prevail.

(I thought of getting a fly tattoo on the end of my nose, but my wife has been walking around with a big smile, and a bigger fly swatter! I guess I'll sjunk that idea!) :icon_mrgreen:

Just joking!

Edited by irishman

• Members

Le 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

So you have no regret for having done what God says not to do?

Would you rather I lie to you? I can't say that the emotion of regret has every creeped into my head about the tattoos. I did them when I was lost and was ignorant in any scripture (which isn't necessarily an excuse) against such things. Should I continue to be regretful for all the sins I committed in that past life or know that God has forgiven me for those and carry on the best I can as a born again Christian? What would God have me do Jerry? Continue to sulk in regret of past sins before I was saved? Edited by DennisDurty

• Members

Would you rather I lie to you? I can't say that the emotion of regret has every creeped into my head about the tattoos. I did them when I was lost and was ignorant in any scripture (which isn't necessarily an excuse) against such things. Should I continue to be regretful for all the sins I committed in that past life or know that God has forgiven me for those and carry on the best I can as a born again Christian? What would God have me do Jerry? Continue to sulk in regret of past sins before I was saved?

One doesn't have to sulk over regrets. I regret, wish I had not committed, the sins of my past. God has forgiven me and I accept that thankfully so I don't dwell on my past sins, but there are sins that sometimes come to mind and my thought is that I wished I had never done that. I remind myself I'm forgiven and by the grace of God no longer that person, but I do regret that such ever happened.

• Members

One doesn't have to sulk over regrets. I regret, wish I had not committed, the sins of my past. God has forgiven me and I accept that thankfully so I don't dwell on my past sins, but there are sins that sometimes come to mind and my thought is that I wished I had never done that. I remind myself I'm forgiven and by the grace of God no longer that person, but I do regret that such ever happened.

That makes sense and I do have some of those sins as well that come to mind every so often and you wish you could go back and do things differently. I guess the tattoo one isn't one of them for me. It's done, if I had been saved at the time (and knew the scriptures) I wouldn't have done it and that's that. I try not to let thoughts of things I did in the past burden me if I can help it.

Psalms 55:22 Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.

• Members

That makes sense and I do have some of those sins as well that come to mind every so often and you wish you could go back and do things differently. I guess the tattoo one isn't one of them for me. It's done, if I had been saved at the time (and knew the scriptures) I wouldn't have done it and that's that. I try not to let thoughts of things I did in the past burden me if I can help it.

Psalms 55:22 Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.

I fully agree we can't let our past sins burden us. That's why when such comes to mind I remind myself I'm fully forgiven. As Paul says, I then forget what's behind and press forward in Christ.