• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Hello, we have used Abeka materials in the past, tried other things for a few years, and are now coming back to Abeka (it is such a great curriculum!). We have ordered 6 DVD courses that my 15 and 14 year olds will be using (3 courses each - math, science, english). Everything/everybody else will just be the materials with no DVDs. We are using the Independent Option, not the accredited option.

My question is, for those who have used the DVD courses in the upper grades, approximately how long does each class (including both DVD and seatwork) take each day? I am trying to work out a basic school schedule and this would help me greatly. :)

Thank you.

• Members

We use the DVD non-accr. for junior high through 12th. The times for each class can vary quite a bit. I think the ave is 45-50min. for DVD. Of course, the homework is an individual thing, so you'd have to take into consideration how your child works. (We always did homework at the end of viewing the days subjects, though.) I'm not sure if that helps or not. I don't set aside a particular amount of time for each class for my dvd kids, though. I figure instead to do a certain amount of subjects before lunch, and certain ones after lunch, but for our situation last year I had two daughters in 12th, a son in 9th and a son in 7th plus two other sons that I traditionally homeschooled. So, we have had to learn to be quite flexible. :)

Oh, btw, in the math classes for instance, often the teacher will have them work on prOBlems during class time, so that would be included in the dvd watching time. Often the manuals will want you to check to see that homework from the previous day has been completed, you will want to add that time in. Maybe like 10 min. depending on how many kids you have to check.

Edited by bzmomo7

• Members

Thank you very much, actually that does help. :)

Your welcome. We would usually do 3 subjects before lunch, and the rest plus leftover homework afterwards. To fill in gaps when some of our kids would have a shorter class period in one class (say, due to tests/quizzes etc. which made them get done much earlier than the normal lunch time) then they knew they were to move on to their homework for those three classes to fill in the gap until lunch time. This was nice, because on those days they would finish earlier so that reward in itself kept them from slacking and being disruptive to the others who were still working. If that makes sense. I saw on your intro. that you have 5 kiddos. It sure is a challenge, isn't it? (But so worth it!) BTW, Welcome to the board. :)