• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Investments

• Members

Investments

We have talked much about being right with God, and wise with our money. We discussed prosperity, and what it entails, (though very briefly), and how it is achieved, and by whom it is OBtained, but to carry things a little further, let me warn my Christian friends about investments. Investing in even the stock market is a gamble at the least. What is the difference in that or playing “bingo”? Or what difference is it with the state lottery? The chances are better perhaps, with “wise” investments, but the gamble is the same! Perhaps we dwell too much on the dollar!
I know of good, godly men who try to do things right, and be honest in their business, but they have lost money in their investments. Trying to make more money has cost them to lose some! What a conundrum! I know, we justify it with scripture, and pretend we are doing it to be “wise stewards” of what the Lord has given us, but are we really? He knows our motives! Many of the passages that preachers claim refer to proper investing, I believe, have nothing to do with monetary gain. A close scrutiny, and an honest motive will reveal that to those who care to search it out. I have heard the excuses, that our family depends on us, and we need to provide for them the best we can, and that is true to some extent, of course, but that “provision” that we supply, is it in material wealth or spiritual wealth? Friends, I believe that this may be the one OBstacle that defeats us in rearing our children, the focus on materialism vs. the spiritual applications of life.
It seems that some make a living by counseling us on how to invest our money. What do they lose if the investment is not a good one? What if the market drops? They say, “Sorry, but all the signs showed that it would be a good investment”, then they move on to the next “victim”. Meanwhile you lose a lot of money that the Lord could have used to a much better cause. Think of General Motors--a good investment at one time, but where are they now? Banks and loan companies are anxious to tell you how to “get the most for your dollar” and we fall it headfirst! Men, nothing beats hard work, and saving money; we need to get our eyes off making a quick buck, like the world thinks, and get them where they belong--on Jesus. He will bless those that do right; He can, and will, honor faithfulness to Him, and those that walk with Him daily. Keep your eyes on Jesus and you can’t go wrong.