• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Communion

CPR

• Members

Me too. Yet they're welcome to do as they wish, although I think its wrong, I think the local church is responsible for guarding our Lord's Table.

Seems many look to the Lord's Supper as being something it is not. It has nothing to do with salvation, its a local church ordnance, to be OBserved by the local church and its members in remembrance of Jesus.

Lu 22:19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

That verse as well as the one about the wine is read every time we take Communion. As I said, each church should do as they feel God would have them do regarding the issue of who they allow to partake.

I agree that it does not save you. Please don't misunderstand the phrase "the cup of salvation." It is not to imply that the cup and the wine saves you. Rather, the cup and the wine are a symbol of the blood of Christ, which does save us.

As far as sacraments, I believe that it is a sacrament that we do in remembrance of the sacrifice of Jesus.

• Members

That verse as well as the one about the wine is read every time we take Communion. As I said, each church should do as they feel God would have them do regarding the issue of who they allow to partake.

I agree that it does not save you. Please don't misunderstand the phrase "the cup of salvation." It is not to imply that the cup and the wine saves you. Rather, the cup and the wine are a symbol of the blood of Christ, which does save us.

As far as sacraments, I believe that it is a sacrament that we do in remembrance of the sacrifice of Jesus.

I was not really making that point to anyone in particular, I just wanted to say it, because the RCC believes that is part of salvation and some seem to think that they have the right to partake of the Lord's Supper in any church they set their foot in, and when the RCC withhold the Lord's Supper, of course they call it the Eucharist, from one of their members it has a very grave meaning to them.

Of course most of us Baptist knows it does not have an affect on ones salvation, or at least they should know it.

We call the Lord's Supper an ordnance, and let the RCC use the word, sacraments.

• Members

I was not really making that point to anyone in particular, I just wanted to say it, because the RCC believes that is part of salvation and some seem to think that they have the right to partake of the Lord's Supper in any church they set their foot in, and when the RCC withhold the Lord's Supper, of course they call it the Eucharist, from one of their members it has a very grave meaning to them.

Of course most of us Baptist knows it does not have an affect on ones salvation, or at least they should know it.

We call the Lord's Supper an ordnance, and let the RCC use the word, sacraments.

I understand what you're saying. Your comment just made me realize that perhaps I didn't explain enough in my post so I wanted to make sure no one thought that I was insinuating salvation from Communion.

• Members

We once visited a Baptist Church and the pastor said that communion is the oldest tradition in the Christian Church. While I was thinking on this and how could he say it, I was not concentrating on what he said later, but my wife whispered, "He believes in transubstantiation." I said "He can't do." However on our way out, my wife said to him "I didn't know you Baptists believed in transubstantiation." He replied, "You live and learn."

We didn't go there again while he was pastor.

Edited by Invicta

• Members

We once visited a Baptist Church and the pastor said that communion is the oldest tradition in the Christian Church. While I was thinking on this and how could he say it, I was not concentrating on what he said later, but my wife whispered, "He believes in transubstantiation." I said "He can't do." However on our way out, my wife said to him "I didn't know you Baptists believed in transubstantiation." He replied, "You live and learn."

We didn't go there again while he was pastor.

Perfect example of Baptists being completely different (although, maybe you are talking about Southern Baptist I don't know).

• Members

Perfect example of Baptists being completely different (although, maybe you are talking about Southern Baptist I don't know).

Southern Baptists are another prefect example of Baptists being different. Under the umbrella of the Southern Baptists today one can find some conservative churches, liberal churches and everything inbetween.

• Members

There are some guys who believe in consubstantiation. I think that's where the bread and the grape juice don't actually become the body and blood, but somehow the essense of Christ mysteriously floats around them. Huh? :smilie_loco:4

That's more on the sacrament side of things. It's the "real presence of Christ in the Eucharist." The bread and wine don't actually become the body and blood of Christ, but the presence is there and it is a sure means by which we receive grace, as well as being an outward and visible sign of inward and spiritual grace.

• Members

That's more on the sacrament side of things. It's the "real presence of Christ in the Eucharist." The bread and wine don't actually become the body and blood of Christ, but the presence is there and it is a sure means by which we receive grace, as well as being an outward and visible sign of inward and spiritual grace.

Please back your opinion up with Holy Scriptures from the Holy Bible.

Now According to the Holy Bible;

Lu 22:19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

1Co 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
1Co 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

Its done in remembrance of Jesus, and there is no grace nor anything within it, that is its symbolic.

• Members

1Co 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
1Co 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

Its done in remembrance of Jesus, and there is no grace nor anything within it, that is its symbolic.

I was merely trying to explain the idea of consubstantiation and a sacrament, but yes, that is also what I believe. I do have scripture, and, in fact, I believe that the Gospels taken as a whole support this view, but I'm not going to make an issue out of this because it is precisely what I didn't want to happen on this thread. After all, this argument is older than the Reformation, so I don't think we're going to have any new revelations.

• Members

Absolutely true, the Bible is very clear on this.

Tomorrow we will partake of the Lord's Supper in accord with the Word of God. I'm thankful for this, how our pastor rightly conducts this and for the time of quiet reflection and prayer which accompanies the Lord's Supper.

• Members

I specifically asked in my original post for this to just be a discussion of how everyone's church OBserves Communion, not an argument of what is the "right" way to do it. Thank you to everyone who shared, it was very interesting. However, I see that this is going in an unfortunate direction so I'm closing my own thread.
:threadlockedbc5: