• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Communion

CPR

• Members

I've noticed that in various topics the subject of Communion often comes up and it seems that the practices vary slightly among different churches (even among those of the same denomination). I thought it would be interesting to discuss how everyone's church OBserves Communion. I'm always curious to know and I think others might be too since we tend to OBserve with our own churches and may take for granted that everyone does it the same way (or maybe that's just me :unsure:). So maybe people could discuss the following:

- How often?

- Who is invited to participate?

- If participation is limited, how is that monitored (if at all)?

- How do you receive the elements - (go down front and kneel, don't kneel, stay at your seat, other options?)

- Is there a specific service (prayers, something specific the pastor says every time, certain order of things, etc)

- One cup or individual cups?

- What mode? (eat then drink, intinction, etc)

Anything else? I just think it's interesting and it frequently comes up. I hope this doesn't turn into a debate of what is the "right" way, just an interesting discussion of how things are done in various churches.

• Members

We partake of the Lord's Supper the first Sunday of each month.

All born again followers of Christ may partake.

The bread and cup are passed to the congregation except on rare special occasions when we go to the front.

Our pastor always speaks, always something a bit different, and we have prayer.

Individual cups.

Eat then drink.

• Administrators

- How often? When ever the pastor feels led to have one. Usually around 5-6 times a year.

- Who is invited to participate? Anyone of like faith. Close Communion

- If participation is limited, how is that monitored (if at all)? That is up to that person and God.

- How do you receive the elements - (go down front and kneel, don't kneel, stay at your seat, other options?) Stay at our seats.

- Is there a specific service (prayers, something specific the pastor says every time, certain order of things, etc) Pastor reads Scripture and talks for about 5 minutes. Different everytime.

- One cup or individual cups? Individual cups

- What mode? (eat then drink, intinction, etc) Eat then Drink

• Members

I've noticed that in various topics the subject of Communion often comes up and it seems that the practices vary slightly among different churches (even among those of the same denomination). I thought it would be interesting to discuss how everyone's church OBserves Communion. I'm always curious to know and I think others might be too since we tend to OBserve with our own churches and may take for granted that everyone does it the same way (or maybe that's just me :unsure:). So maybe people could discuss the following:

- How often? Twice a month, 1st Sunday morning, 3rd Sunday evening

- Who is invited to participate? All those who believe, we say that those who partake are saying that Christ died for them and "if you do not believe that, then please don't partake."

- If participation is limited, how is that monitored (if at all)? See above

- How do you receive the elements - (go down front and kneel, don't kneel, stay at your seat, other options?) Served at your seat.

- Is there a specific service (prayers, something specific the pastor says every time, certain order of things, etc) No, but we always read 1 Corr:11:23ff

- One cup or individual cups? individual cups, with grape juice, although I have attended a church where they had single cups with wine.

- What mode? (eat then drink, intinction, etc) We eat the bread as we receive it, the cup is then served and we retain it and all drink together.

Anything else? I just think it's interesting and it frequently comes up. I hope this doesn't turn into a debate of what is the "right" way, just an interesting discussion of how things are done in various churches.

My daughter's church has their communion at a separate service in the evening, an hour before the evening service and I believe that only church members are expected to attend, but I may be wrong in that.

• Members

In the church in which I grew up (not Baptist...more nondenominational, but not in the charismatic sense), those who had been saved and baptized by immersion all shared in the Lord's Table (we called it "Sacrament") every Sunday. First, bread (more like unsalted, chewy wafers) broken from a single piece was passed around as appropriate music was played. Then, a single gOBlet of wine was passed around, and everyone drank a sip as it passed. (My grandpa, the pastor, served "the Sacrament" and would wipe the rim of the cup before passing it along the next row.)

At my church now, it's pretty much the standard Baptist/traditional ceremony. We call it The Lord's Table, and OBserve the ordinance once a month. Everyone who has trusted Christ as Savior (even if not a church member) is invited to participate. We use separate plastic cups and small, uniformly cut wafers. The elements are passed to us as we sit in our seats. Our pastor says the same thing every time, sometimes perhaps making an allusion to the preceding sermon, if appropriate. My children, who have made professions of faith but have not yet been baptized, do not partake. (I've noticed that other kids don't either...Generally, baptism is not performed on young children at our church.)

• Members

- How often?
Whenever the pastor feels led to do so.

All those who are of like faith.

It is left between that person and God as to whether they participate

- How do you receive the elements - (go down front and kneel, don't kneel, stay at your seat, other options?)
We stay in our seats

- Is there a specific service (prayers, something specific the pastor says every time, certain order of things, etc)
The pastor will usually preach a message from I Corinthians 11 and discuss the Lord's Supper before partaking

Individual cups

Pray over the bread before eating
Pray over the juice before drinking
Sing a hymn before dismissing

• Members

Thanks for all the responses! I think the small differences are interesting. I realized that in starting the topic I never answered my own questions so here goes:

We take Communion every Sunday. All baptized Christians are welcome to participate. We follow the order of service in the Book of Common Prayer which includes, prayers for forgiveness of sins, reflection, and prayer and praise as we remember the sacrifice and thank God for his saving grace. We go forward by rows and kneel to receive the bread and the wine. The priest/reverend places the bread in your hand and says either "the body of Christ broken for you" or "the body of Christ; take this in remembrance that Christ died for you." You eat that, the they come around with the cup (one cup) and say either, "the blood of Christ, shed for you" or "the blood of Christ, the cup of salvation." You can also keep the bread/wafer and dip it in the cup (intinction) if you prefer. After that you go back to your seat and many people chose to kneel and pray. The choir is singing and the congregation joins in singing the hymn as they are ready.

For me, it is a very meaningful part of worship.

• Members

- How often? I can only remember one time in the last 2 years. But, I'm told in the past it's usually been 2-3 a year.

- Who is invited to participate? Closed communion (a little different than close communion). We only allow members (must be saved to be a member) of our church. The reason we do this is because we do not know the "status" of other born again believers. We also give our members ample time to reflect and repent of anything they might need to before partaking in the Lord's supper.

- If participation is limited, how is that monitored (if at all)? I think I answered this already but just another thing, we always do it on a day which there is no service scheduled (like a Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday).

- How do you receive the elements - (go down front and kneel, don't kneel, stay at your seat, other options?) Stay at your seat, ushers come around with the bread and grape juice (wait until all have been served).

- Is there a specific service (prayers, something specific the pastor says every time, certain order of things, etc) - No service per say, just some information on why we do it, look at scripture on the Lord's supper and then leave with a song. Adamant about no fellowship afterward, just leave with the song, say goodbye and be on our way.
- One cup or individual cups? Individual cups

- What mode? (eat then drink, intinction, etc) I don't remember there being an order for this, but I think we all did it at the same time (for the most part).

Edited by DennisDurty

• Members

Thanks for all the responses! I think the small differences are interesting. I realized that in starting the topic I never answered my own questions so here goes:

We take Communion every Sunday. All baptized Christians are welcome to participate. We follow the order of service in the Book of Common Prayer which includes, prayers for forgiveness of sins, reflection, and prayer and praise as we remember the sacrifice and thank God for his saving grace. We go forward by rows and kneel to receive the bread and the wine. The priest/reverend places the bread in your hand and says either "the body of Christ broken for you" or "the body of Christ; take this in remembrance that Christ died for you." You eat that, the they come around with the cup (one cup) and say either, "the blood of Christ, shed for you" or "the blood of Christ, the cup of salvation." You can also keep the bread/wafer and dip it in the cup (intinction) if you prefer. After that you go back to your seat and many people chose to kneel and pray. The choir is singing and the congregation joins in singing the hymn as they are ready.

For me, it is a very meaningful part of worship.

Sounds very close to the Catholics. I think the only differences are:

1. Only those that have gone through the "sacrament" of holy communion (Eucharist) are allowed to partake in communion.
2. When the priest gives the bread/wine they say something like "Body of Christ/Blood of Christ" and you say Amen, move to the side and give the sign of the cross.

Of course, maybe even some Catholic Churches are different...I've been a part of 2 Catholic Churches so that was my experience at both.

Don't remember ever being taught this growing up though:

1 Corinthians 11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

1 Corinthians 11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

1 Corinthians 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

• Administrators

- How often?
Whenever the pastor feels led to do so.

All those who are of like faith.

It is left between that person and God as to whether they participate

We stay in our seats

The pastor will usually preach a message from I Corinthians 11 and discuss the Lord's Supper before partaking

Individual cups

Pray over the bread before eating
Pray over the juice before drinking
Sing a hymn before dismissing

Do we go to the same church? :icon_mrgreen: Ours is after the same manner. And it is much like Annie's comments in regards to children partaking as well.

• Members

Sounds very close to the Catholics. I think the only differences are:

1. Only those that have gone through the "sacrament" of holy communion (Eucharist) are allowed to partake in communion.
2. When the priest gives the bread/wine they say something like "Body of Christ/Blood of Christ" and you say Amen, move to the side and give the sign of the cross.

Of course, maybe even some Catholic Churches are different...I've been a part of 2 Catholic Churches so that was my experience at both.

1 Corinthians 11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

1 Corinthians 11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

1 Corinthians 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

Many liturgical churches take Communion in a way that I can see looks similar to the way it is practiced in the Catholic church. There are differences in the way the Sacrament is administered and, as you mentioned, who can receive it. All baptized Christians can receive Communion at my church, regardless of denomination, etc because we believe that it is the Lord's table for his people. That's why we say "the gifts of the Lord for the people of the Lord." Also, the thirty-nine articles are clear that we do not believe in transubstantiation, which is a very distinctive doctrine of the Catholic church.

• Members

While I understand the whole thinking of "Between God and the person", I'm a little worried about those Churches that might allow anyone to partake. Well, not worried exactly, more scared for those that might be new believers and just happen to stumble across the Lord's supper at a church they are visiting. I never heard (until the one time in my current Church I was finally told) of eating and drinking of damnation if you've not examined yourself.

I guess the Pastor might ask the individual and explain it but I feel we take that out of the equation by just performing the closed communion.

Anyway, that was an enlightening topic. Thanks.

• Members

While I understand the whole thinking of "Between God and the person", I'm a little worried about those Churches that might allow anyone to partake. Well, not worried exactly, more scared for those that might be new believers and just happen to stumble across the Lord's supper at a church they are visiting. I never heard (until the one time in my current Church I was finally told) of eating and drinking of damnation if you've not examined yourself.

I guess the Pastor might ask the individual and explain it but I feel we take that out of the equation by just performing the closed communion.

I get what you're saying. In the "Communion service" part of our service we have a built in time for prayer and examination that is always the same that leads people through that process. Now of course you have to do it sincerely but I feel like it's very guided if someone wasn't familiar with Communion at our church or at all (like a new Christian). It's a solemn time of repentance, examination and thanksgiving.

Of course, there are reasons to do it each way, so every church has to decide how they think God would have them do it. I agree, I think it's interesting to discuss how different churches OBserve Communion since we prOBably experience it just with our own church.

• Members

Me too. Yet they're welcome to do as they wish, although I think its wrong, I think the local church is responsible for guarding our Lord's Table.

Seems many look to the Lord's Supper as being something it is not. It has nothing to do with salvation, its a local church ordnance, to be OBserved by the local church and its members in remembrance of Jesus.

Lu 22:19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

• Members

Anyone who is saved can take part in the Lord's Supper at our church. The pastor strongly admonishes everyone to make sure they are right with God before they partake, and there's even a time of silent prayer to make sure of that. The pastor also reminds everyone that this has nothing to do with salvation, and that's it's not "a sacrament" and it has nothing to do with salvation.

Dennis, those verses were quoted are very important! My wife, when she was in Bible College, heard of a situation where there were a few families in a church that kept wife swapping. It wasn't in her church. Regardless, I don't know if the pastor knew who it was or not, but he knew it was happening. They had communion every week for about six months, and the backslidden couple continually took part in it. Within a year, they started having major health prOBlems and some of them even died.