• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Crushmaster

Discussion Topic - Head Coverings.

You could also ask, How long is a piece of string? Clearly, context plays a part.

(Two cents.')

The context is God commands men to have short hair and women to have long hair. Such should be obvious for each and neither should try to have their hair in a manner where they are trying to be as close to the border between long and short. We should do this for the glory of God.

John81:

In principle there is some truth to what you say, yes, indeed.

But then, some wear it well below the collar, but trimmed above the ears; others wear it well below the ears but trimmed up the neck; some have it long and bushy at the front; others have it trimmed up the forehead but below the collar at the back. I find it hard to be dogmatic about where it 'ought' not to be trimmed.

This part I wouldn't agree with because there are many very short "women's hairdo's" as well as several long "men's hairdo's". Scripture doesn't mention the "do" :icon_mrgreen: but it does mention the length.

I realize that scripture doesn't mention the "do." But my whole point is that short and long is subjective. And so, wording it to say that the hair looks womanly would be more to the point that scripture is making - a difference that is physically seen by the human eye. We've all seen men with feminine hair styles, and women with masculine styles. And, regardless of if we agree on the length needed, we would agree that the style would be definitive.

And, again, your idea of a short woman's hairdo could be different from, say, her husband who is her actual head. I don't know, maybe the real answer would be that the husband of each wife, who is individually her covering and her head, would be the one to decide how long is long for his wife. And, we can say that God says _____, but the truth of the matter is that it must be decided by the head. Is that license to mean that the woman can have her hair so short it looks masculine? Of course not - scripture is clear that isn't to be. But John decides for his wife where he wants her length, Jerry8 decides for his, farouk for his, BroMatt for his, PastorJ for his, Kita's hubby for hers, my hubby for mine, etc. Now, that doesn't mean I'm saying that I believe that a man has to measure his wife's hair, or order her to wear it a certain length - my hubby doesn't specify a length, but he has told me where he doesn't want it to go above (my shoulders). And I honor that, happily.

And I heartily agree that there should be an obvious difference in the length of a woman's hair and a man's hair.

I realize that scripture doesn't mention the "do." But my whole point is that short and long is subjective. And so, wording it to say that the hair looks womanly would be more to the point that scripture is making - a difference that is physically seen by the human eye. We've all seen men with feminine hair styles, and women with masculine styles. And, regardless of if we agree on the length needed, we would agree that the style would be definitive.

And, again, your idea of a short woman's hairdo could be different from, say, her husband who is her actual head. I don't know, maybe the real answer would be that the husband of each wife, who is individually her covering and her head, would be the one to decide how long is long for his wife. And, we can say that God says _____, but the truth of the matter is that it must be decided by the head. Is that license to mean that the woman can have her hair so short it looks masculine? Of course not - scripture is clear that isn't to be. But John decides for his wife where he wants her length, Jerry8 decides for his, farouk for his, BroMatt for his, PastorJ for his, Kita's hubby for hers, my hubby for mine, etc. Now, that doesn't mean I'm saying that I believe that a man has to measure his wife's hair, or order her to wear it a certain length - my hubby doesn't specify a length, but he has told me where he doesn't want it to go above (my shoulders). And I honor that.

And I heartily agree that there should be an obvious difference in the length of a woman's hair and a man's hair.

Happy Christian:

Well, you guys seem to have it figured, anyway. :)

I guess my wife's hasn't changed much in years.

Like, some hair can be trimmed up the neck, but kind of long at the sides, or trimmed above the ears so earrings show all the time but also going down onto the shoulder at the back.

If you see what I mean... :rolleyes:

Anyway...

Blessings. Edited by farouk

This part I wouldn't agree with because there are many very short "women's hairdo's" as well as several long "men's hairdo's". Scripture doesn't mention the "do" :icon_mrgreen: but it does mention the length.

And to think, I thought only women had hair do's!

icon_mrgreen.gif