• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussion Topic - Head Coverings.

• Members

Wasn't the context in which Paul wrote this to the church in Corinth that in which there was the temple to Aphrodite in which there was service by female prostitutes who's sign to others was their shaven heads?

Seemed to me that Paul was telling the Christian woman of Corinth to have hair as a covering to distinguish themselves from Aphrodite's followers.

Given that context, and the portion of Scriptures in Corinthians dealing with this, I would think that hair is the covering and not a veil, lace, scarf or other cloth hat.

Edited by trc123

• Members

Looking at photos from a 100 years ago, everyone wore hats, men and women, but at school (not 100 years ago, quite) we were taught that men took their hats ofv in church, but women didn't.

• Members
I paid some extra attention to women going to and coming from churches this morning and what I saw was disturbing.

The number of women with those very short hair cuts which could get them mistaken for a man from behind were too numerous to count. The number of those with other styles of very short hair were just as many.

Women with hair obviously long were sadly few.

In doing some checking I found out many of the women with the shortest hair were public school teachers and Sunday school teachers or held other positions in their churches. Interesting that the women with the most man-like hair styles are also the women that hold authority positions.

Women having short (and men long) grieves me immensely. I'm sad to hear your report, brother. :icon_sad:
Wasn't the context in which Paul wrote this to the church in Corinth that in which there was the temple to Aphrodite in which there was service by female prostitutes who's sign to others was their shaven heads?

Seemed to me that Paul was telling the Christian woman of Corinth to have hair as a covering to distinguish themselves from Aphrodite's followers.

Given that context, and the portion of Scriptures in Corinthians dealing with this, I would think that hair is the covering and not a veil, lace, scarf or other cloth hat.

If that is indeed the case, I agree completely. No matter what, though, it's obvious women should have long hair and men short.

Revelation 9:8 And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions.

What would distinguish it as "hair of women"? Red, brown, black, blonde, straight, curly?
Mem's hair also has all of those characteristics.

Agreed, brother.

Thanks for all of the comments, everyone.
God bless,
Joel ><>.

• Members

I'm not trying to start a debate or anything, but what length would "obviously long" hair be considered? Not trying to get legalistic or anything, I'm not expecting something like "2 inches below the ears" or something ridiculous, but just in general what people's opinions are of what would constitute obviously long hair.

• Members

I paid some extra attention to women going to and coming from churches this morning and what I saw was disturbing.

The number of women with those very short hair cuts which could get them mistaken for a man from behind were too numerous to count. The number of those with other styles of very short hair were just as many.

In doing some checking I found out many of the women with the shortest hair were public school teachers and Sunday school teachers or held other positions in their churches. Interesting that the women with the most man-like hair styles are also the women that hold authority positions.

John, by no means am I excusing young women with short hair, but when you took note of who had very short hair and who did not, did you note their age? Seems to me that when I've ever looked around at church, I've rarely seen an elderly woman with long hair.....as in shoulder length and longer. Most have short hair that just touches their collar. I know that many people would not say that they would mistake any of these women though, for a man. However, the Bible says that the older women should teach the younger women.....and I think in this area, they have. Short hair is short hair, no matter what the style is. I think I will go hide for now. :hide:

• Members

We know from 1 Corinthians 11 that women are to have their head covered. What is their covering? Hair? A veil? What is it?

What does the Lord say?
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14.

It can't be speaking of hair or this verse would not make any sense:

1 Corinthians 11:6 (KJV) For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

If the covering were hair, that verse would be saying

For if the woman have no hair, let her also be shaved bald: but if it be for a woman to have no hair, let her have hair.

Obviously, the covering was something other than hair.

• Members

A lot of that could be cultural as well. Folks just don't wear hats anymore, except for ballcaps.

Around this part of the world quite a few black women wear hats to church, I will see them occasionally around town. I notice for the most part the blacks seem to dress better for church than white people, even most of the black men were at least dress slacks and shirt, many wear suits.

If I remember correctly hats were nearly phased out by the time I hit 16. I don't suppose my grand mother ever went to church without a hat. Both her and mother had several of them.

• Members

I'm not trying to start a debate or anything, but what length would "obviously long" hair be considered? Not trying to get legalistic or anything, I'm not expecting something like "2 inches below the ears" or something ridiculous, but just in general what people's opinions are of what would constitute obviously long hair.

The best I've heard this put is that if one has to wonder whether their hair is long enough then it isn't. A woman's hair should be obviously long, not short, not some length that folks might think is somewhere in between, but obviously long.

The same applies to men, in the opposite manner of course, their hair should be obviously short, not maybe short and certainly not long.

• Members

John, by no means am I excusing young women with short hair, but when you took note of who had very short hair and who did not, did you note their age? Seems to me that when I've ever looked around at church, I've rarely seen an elderly woman with long hair.....as in shoulder length and longer. Most have short hair that just touches their collar. I know that many people would not say that they would mistake any of these women though, for a man. However, the Bible says that the older women should teach the younger women.....and I think in this area, they have. Short hair is short hair, no matter what the style is. I think I will go hide for now. :hide:

No doubt many of the women with very short hair were older women and often these were the women doing women's Bible studies, teaching Sunday school or holding another position in the church. I agree these women are presenting a bad example to the younger women and by doing this they are failing to properly teach the younger women.

I agree that no matter the style, short hair is short hair. I've heard some women try to excuse short hair by saying they have it styled differently than menn wear their hair. Scripture says men are to have short hair and women long hair, not that they can have the reverse if they style it a certain way.

• Administrators

CPR - we are asked in these verses if nature itself doesn't teach that it's a shame for men to have long hair. What many people ask is - what is long hair and how does nature teach that? Well, this is just my opinion, but I've never heard any explanation that makes sense like this. That is the fact that there is a natural hairline on our heads. Trace it around, and you will see - it is there on anyone. The hairline is above the ears (actually a good bit!) and stops at the top of the neck. My personal belief is that if a man's hair goes below that, nature is teaching us that it is a shame to him. By the reverse, if a woman's hair follows the pattern of a man's, it is too short. In other words, the ears and the neck ought to be covered (at least, the length ought to be able to cover it - pulled into a bun it can still be long). If the hair does not cover the neck, it is too short.

I can't say that women whose hair comes to their collar is too short (especially since I know women who cannot grow it any longer, no matter how they try...). Actually, if you have a man with a manly hair cut and a woman with her hair fixed nicely - and it comes to the collar - it is obvious from the back who is the man and who is the woman. However, I will say that, if it is possible to grow it longer, I believe it should be - so there is no doubt about it. I believe that the verse speaking of her head not being covered is referring to her neck being uncovered...

~~~~
Paul clarifies that the covering is a woman's hair in the 15th verse - and to say that it has to be a scarf or hat is adding to scripture (although, if a woman's husband wants her to or has no problem with her wearing them, go for it!) Hair is her glory, just as she is the glory of the man. My husband loves my hair long - it comes to mid back usually. But he also knows that I want my hair to look nice, so he allows me to get it shaped up every few weeks. It never gets any shorter than my shoulder blades though. I am his glory - and one of the ways I show it is through my hair.

• Administrators

Paul clearly shows in verse 6 that the hair cannot be the covering,

If a woman have no hair, let her also be shaved bald

I dont agree with you - because Paul says clearly in verse 15 that her hair is her covering. If her hair is above her neck, she has no covering, so she might as well be shaved. Both verses work together, not against each other. If the hair CANNOT be a covering, Paul lied in verse 15.