• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussion Topic - Head Coverings.

• Members

If your hair was cut shorter than you desired, don't fret - it'll grow out! It's obvious from your posts that you desire to be what God wants you to be, so I'm sure He will show you and your hubby just where the length of your hair needs to be. Somehow I doubt that it's so short it would be mistaken for a man's cut. :saint2:

Hair can be a bit like the front lawn: it grows so fast that I need to keep using the mower more than I feel like doing. :) (I'm not saying anyone's hair looks like our front lawn, though.)

• Members

Hair can be a bit like the front lawn: it grows so fast that I need to keep using the mower more than I feel like doing. :) (I'm not saying anyone's hair looks like our front lawn, though.)

Mine might.

• Members

Mine might.

Invicta:

Well, particularly when I put the mower on the setting that's closest to the ground, our lawn might well resemble the short-back-and-sides haircut preferred by a lot of men ( — and women).

PS: Sorry, I forgot to smile :) . Edited by farouk

• Members

PS: I referred just briefly to my wife's haircuts above and I don't want to go into too much detail.

I think that the question: how long is long? is a bit similar to, for heels, how high is high? I guess it's hard to say exactly. :)

• Members

PS: I referred just briefly to my wife's haircuts above and I don't want to go into too much detail.

I think that the question: how long is long? is a bit similar to, for heels, how high is high? I guess it's hard to say exactly. :)

The best answer I have heard to this is if anyone has to ask or wonder if woman's hair is long enough, then it isn't. The same sort of reasoning applies to men. If one has to ask or wonder if a man's hair is short enough, then it isn't.

A woman's hair should be obviously long and man's hair should be obviously short.

• Members

1 Corinthians 11:16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

What could this verse mean and why did Paul under the inspiration of God, place it at the end of these verses?

Ms Deb2live4Christ:

I read back and saw your post; so do you have any particular insights in to these verses, maybe?

Like, would my wife that I was telling you about, or you yourself, too, from a haircut perspective, fit in with the folk at the Corinthian church? or maybe this isn't the question to ask, and I'm trying to rephrase it. (Not sure....) Blessings.

• Administrators

The best answer I have heard to this is if anyone has to ask or wonder if woman's hair is long enough, then it isn't. The same sort of reasoning applies to men. If one has to ask or wonder if a man's hair is short enough, then it isn't.

A woman's hair should be obviously long and man's hair should be obviously short.

I would agree to a certain extent...I wouldn't use the term "anyone" as having to ask or wonder, because I know some people who believe a woman's hair is too short if it doesn't reach the middle of her back...

And obviously long and short can be subjective as well - what is obviously long to me might not be to you, and vice versa with the short. I might say that the woman's hair should obviously look like a woman's hairdo, and a man's the same...semantics, because I think we are saying the same thing, but sometimes terminology is subjective.

• Members

I would agree to a certain extent...I wouldn't use the term "anyone" as having to ask or wonder, because I know some people who believe a woman's hair is too short if it doesn't reach the middle of her back...

And obviously long and short can be subjective as well - what is obviously long to me might not be to you, and vice versa with the short. I might say that the woman's hair should obviously look like a woman's hairdo, and a man's the same...semantics, because I think we are saying the same thing, but sometimes terminology is subjective.

Happy Christian:

Often also, a haircut can be kind of tufty and long on top and at the front, so to speak, while trimmed up at the sides and back. Obviously feminine, anyway.

(But what do I know?)

• Members

I might say that the woman's hair should obviously look like a woman's hairdo, and a man's the same...semantics, because I think we are saying the same thing, but sometimes terminology is subjective.

This part I wouldn't agree with because there are many very short "women's hairdo's" as well as several long "men's hairdo's". Scripture doesn't mention the "do" :icon_mrgreen: but it does mention the length.

• Members

You could also ask, How long is a piece of string? Clearly, context plays a part.

(Two cents.')

The context is God commands men to have short hair and women to have long hair. Such should be obvious for each and neither should try to have their hair in a manner where they are trying to be as close to the border between long and short. We should do this for the glory of God.

• Members

John81:

In principle there is some truth to what you say, yes, indeed.

But then, some wear it well below the collar, but trimmed above the ears; others wear it well below the ears but trimmed up the neck; some have it long and bushy at the front; others have it trimmed up the forehead but below the collar at the back. I find it hard to be dogmatic about where it 'ought' not to be trimmed.

• Administrators

This part I wouldn't agree with because there are many very short "women's hairdo's" as well as several long "men's hairdo's". Scripture doesn't mention the "do" :icon_mrgreen: but it does mention the length.

I realize that scripture doesn't mention the "do." But my whole point is that short and long is subjective. And so, wording it to say that the hair looks womanly would be more to the point that scripture is making - a difference that is physically seen by the human eye. We've all seen men with feminine hair styles, and women with masculine styles. And, regardless of if we agree on the length needed, we would agree that the style would be definitive.

And, again, your idea of a short woman's hairdo could be different from, say, her husband who is her actual head. I don't know, maybe the real answer would be that the husband of each wife, who is individually her covering and her head, would be the one to decide how long is long for his wife. And, we can say that God says _____, but the truth of the matter is that it must be decided by the head. Is that license to mean that the woman can have her hair so short it looks masculine? Of course not - scripture is clear that isn't to be. But John decides for his wife where he wants her length, Jerry8 decides for his, farouk for his, BroMatt for his, PastorJ for his, Kita's hubby for hers, my hubby for mine, etc. Now, that doesn't mean I'm saying that I believe that a man has to measure his wife's hair, or order her to wear it a certain length - my hubby doesn't specify a length, but he has told me where he doesn't want it to go above (my shoulders). And I honor that, happily.

And I heartily agree that there should be an obvious difference in the length of a woman's hair and a man's hair.

• Members

I realize that scripture doesn't mention the "do." But my whole point is that short and long is subjective. And so, wording it to say that the hair looks womanly would be more to the point that scripture is making - a difference that is physically seen by the human eye. We've all seen men with feminine hair styles, and women with masculine styles. And, regardless of if we agree on the length needed, we would agree that the style would be definitive.

And, again, your idea of a short woman's hairdo could be different from, say, her husband who is her actual head. I don't know, maybe the real answer would be that the husband of each wife, who is individually her covering and her head, would be the one to decide how long is long for his wife. And, we can say that God says _____, but the truth of the matter is that it must be decided by the head. Is that license to mean that the woman can have her hair so short it looks masculine? Of course not - scripture is clear that isn't to be. But John decides for his wife where he wants her length, Jerry8 decides for his, farouk for his, BroMatt for his, PastorJ for his, Kita's hubby for hers, my hubby for mine, etc. Now, that doesn't mean I'm saying that I believe that a man has to measure his wife's hair, or order her to wear it a certain length - my hubby doesn't specify a length, but he has told me where he doesn't want it to go above (my shoulders). And I honor that.

And I heartily agree that there should be an obvious difference in the length of a woman's hair and a man's hair.

Happy Christian:

Well, you guys seem to have it figured, anyway. :)

I guess my wife's hasn't changed much in years.

Like, some hair can be trimmed up the neck, but kind of long at the sides, or trimmed above the ears so earrings show all the time but also going down onto the shoulder at the back.

If you see what I mean... :rolleyes:

Anyway...

Blessings. Edited by farouk