• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussion Topic - Head Coverings.

• Members

1 Corinthians 11:16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

What could this verse mean and why did Paul under the inspiration of God, place it at the end of these verses?

The meaning is that there is no custom of women worshipping without head covering.

• Members

The meaning is that there is no custom of women worshipping without head covering.

Precisely. All of the assemblies agreed with verses 1-15. That's what this verse declares.
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14; Romans 5:8.

• Members

1 Corinthians 11:16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

What could this verse mean and why did Paul under the inspiration of God, place it at the end of these verses?

Hi Ms Deb2:

So is this what you were wondering? or do you have other insights?

Personally I think head coverings were the general practice in Apostolic times.

• Members

So...women worshipped/prayed with her head covered as was custom and her hair being her covering was long and if not long then covered (veiled)?

I ask because these verses always produced questions as I read them. I want to honor my husband as he is my head, as he honors Christ who is his head...

I just cut my hair, and I said, "it is my over fifty hair cut"; (my husband gave me permission to do so...but admittingly it was cut shorter than I desired) but I will cover it if it dishonors the Lord til it grows to where it is considered long again...especially in a worship setting...the hard part is, in today's culture it is not a shame even in the Christain community..."but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered."

I am thankful my salvation and righteousness is in Jesus Christ and the shedding of His blood remission of my sin.

• Members

So...women worshipped/prayed with her head covered as was custom and her hair being her covering was long and if not long then covered (veiled)?

I ask because these verses always produced questions as I read them. I want to honor my husband as he is my head, as he honors Christ who is his head...

I just cut my hair, and I said, "it is my over fifty hair cut"; (my husband gave me permission to do so...but admittingly it was cut shorter than I desired) but I will cover it if it dishonors the Lord til it grows to where it is considered long again...especially in a worship setting...the hard part is, in today's culture it is not a shame even in the Christain community..."but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered."

I am thankful my salvation and righteousness is in Jesus Christ and the shedding of His blood remission of my sin.

Ms Deb2:

Interesting post.

My wife is over 50 too :) and her hair reaches her collar, though it's drastically chopped from they way it used to be.

But her hair is still longer than mine. It's hard to say exactly 'how long is long', right?

(I bought her pendant earrings, too; maybe, speaking in general for ladies with hair chopped, slightly bigger earrings can complement the haircut, do you think? but I'm not an expert; what do I know? She often doesn't wear earrings, though.) Edited by farouk

• Administrators

Deb - the length of your hair is something that needs to be determined by you and your hubby - and no one else! He is also your covering (read the whole chapter and you'll see that the hubby being the woman's head is actually primary...not to say hair isn't, but him being your head comes first). If your hair was cut shorter than you desired, don't fret - it'll grow out! It's obvious from your posts that you desire to be what God wants you to be, so I'm sure He will show you and your hubby just where the length of your hair needs to be. Somehow I doubt that it's so short it would be mistaken for a man's cut. :saint2:

• Members

As you may have seen on another thread, I am concerned that women should have thigh coverings.....

Covenanter:

Not sure where you get this from the Bible, though...

(You mean, thigh-length hair??) Edited by farouk

• Members

No. I mean skirts below the knee. Especially when worn by a "worship leader."

Covenanter:

Umm .....

You mean of course in 2011, not 1990, or 1967....

Maybe I agree to some extent but I guess the fact is that the line has often hovered a bit.

Some of us have ladies near and dear to us who are modest and Godly; but even in a business suit the knee isn't necessarily the exact boundary of the line, but I don't want to get into this in too much detail.

Sometimes I think we guys ought to get a life and not interfere too much on a topic which has a valid point certainly but can be a bit subjective. (Not to say, movable over the years.)

• Members

Covenanter:

Umm .....

You mean of course in 2011, not 1990, or 1967....

Maybe I agree to some extent but I guess the fact is that the line has often hovered a bit.

Some of us have ladies near and dear to us who are modest and Godly; but even in a business suit the knee isn't necessarily the exact boundary of the line, but I don't want to get into this in too much detail.

Sometimes I think we guys ought to get a life and not interfere too much on a topic which has a valid point certainly but can be a bit subjective. (Not to say, movable over the years.)

Is: 47:1 ¶ Come down, and sit in the dust, O virgin daughter of Babylon, sit on the ground: there is no throne, O daughter of the Chaldeans: for thou shalt no more be called tender and delicate.
2 Take the millstones, and grind meal: uncover thy locks, make bare the leg, uncover the thigh, pass over the rivers.
3 Thy nakedness shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen: I will take vengeance, and I will not meet thee as a man.

The above scripture seems to equate uncovering the thigh and the leg with nakedness. Edited by Invicta

• Administrators

Since nuns dress in pretty much anything these days... :icon_mrgreen:

Modesty is indeed important, and vital, to the testimony of a Christian woman. No, there isn't anything in scripture that says "thou shalt wear a dress to your knee, ankle, etc." But the principle is there in the verse Invicta quoted that clothing should cover the thigh - and that is from the hip to the knee (that isn't personal feeling...that's anatomy :icon_mrgreen: ). The verse in scripture that talks about modesty uses the words that mean loose, flowing garment...So, the principle of modesty would be: loose flowing garment that comes to the knee. It can be stylish so we don't look like nuns. :saint2:

• Members

Since nuns dress in pretty much anything these days... :icon_mrgreen:

Modesty is indeed important, and vital, to the testimony of a Christian woman. No, there isn't anything in scripture that says "thou shalt wear a dress to your knee, ankle, etc." But the principle is there in the verse Invicta quoted that clothing should cover the thigh - and that is from the hip to the knee (that isn't personal feeling...that's anatomy :icon_mrgreen: ). The verse in scripture that talks about modesty uses the words that mean loose, flowing garment...So, the principle of modesty would be: loose flowing garment that comes to the knee. It can be stylish so we don't look like nuns. :saint2:

Happy Christian:

Sounds good. :) Edited by farouk