• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Disney Vacation

• Members

There is a difference some won't accept, between what we have to deal with in daily activities and that which we don't have to deal with unless we specifically put ourselves in those places.

True enough, we might encounter some immodestly dressed women when shopping, but shopping has to be done and at certain hours it's less likely to encounter such women. However, if we go to a crowded tourist beach we KNOW there are going to be many immodestly dressed women. Knowing this, why go there when we don't have to?

I've heard Christians excuse going to bars by saying that people dress immodest elsewhere and there are people drinking booze in other places and they sometimes hear worldly music while shopping, so there is no prOBlem with going into a bar.

Separation is a very unpopular teaching from Scripture. This is why most churches don't teach upon this and many who do touch upon it teach a very watered down concept of separation, which amounts to very little separation at all.

Scripture commands that we are to be holy for He is holy.

This is one (among MANY) reasons I avoid Walmart like the plague. A lot of people who frequent that place are repulsively dressed. I firmly believe that woman over 120 pounds SHOULD NEVER wear spandex. Ok, NO ONE should wear spandex, but you get my point. I have found that Target attracts a better crowd of people. Most are dressed as you should when going in public. There's a reason that peopleofwalmart.com is on the net.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This is one (among MANY) reasons I avoid Walmart like the plague. A lot of people who frequent that place are repulsively dressed. I firmly believe that woman over 120 pounds SHOULD NEVER wear spandex. Ok, NO ONE should wear spandex, but you get my point. I have found that Target attracts a better crowd of people. Most are dressed as you should when going in public. There's a reason that peopleofwalmart.com is on the net.

So very true! This is why when I do go to Wal-Mart I go very early in the morning when there is hardly anyone there.

• Members

I'll hit Target during the day and Kroger at night if I really need something that bad. We can't stand China-mart.

Around here it's difficult to shop much at places besides Wal-Mart unless one has a lot of extra income. Target doesn't carry everything Wal-Mart does and we don't even have a Kroger anymore.

One of the many things I don't like about Wal-Mart is that once they've run much of their competition out of business they stop carrying many products. Their stores get bigger but the variety of choices gets smaller. If we could afford to shop elsewhere, that one aspect would be enough for me to never shop at Wal-Mart again.

• Administrators

Actually, if we dug deeply enough every store would have a reason or three not to shop there. ;) Wal-Mart is the only store that sells the nylons I wear (and, no, I can't change brands for reasons into which I am not going to go). One of the stores in our town is part of a corporation owned by Mormons. Both stores sell booze and make a lot of room for it in their stores - as well as cigarettes and raunch magazines...Target is too expensive for our budget. K-Mart drives us crazy but sometimes we have no choice. And on and on the list could go. (please know I'm not slamming anyone who chooses not to shop in one store or another)

And yet, and yet...this country has been blessed with so much! What a plethora of stores from which to choose. One of these days, if the Lord tarries, we'll likely be looking back with nostalgia on all that was availble to us. God has been so good to all of us!

• Members

We do the majority of our grocery shopping at Meijer. My wife and MIL go early Saturday morning (06:00). They will load up the carts and are home within a reasonable amount of time. We're lucky that we have 3 Targets within 20 minute drive, with 2 of them carrying groceries. If we need groceries in the interim, we hit Kroger. We're lucky in that we live in a growing area with a lot of options. Not everyone has that luxury. HappyChristian, have you thought about buying the specialty item online. I'm sure they're out there and cheaper than Walmart. We do everything we can to avoid Walmart. Again, not everyone has that luxury.

• Administrators

We do the majority of our grocery shopping at Meijer. My wife and MIL go early Saturday morning (06:00). They will load up the carts and are home within a reasonable amount of time. We're lucky that we have 3 Targets within 20 minute drive, with 2 of them carrying groceries. If we need groceries in the interim, we hit Kroger. We're lucky in that we live in a growing area with a lot of options. Not everyone has that luxury. HappyChristian, have you thought about buying the specialty item online. I'm sure they're out there and cheaper than Walmart. We do everything we can to avoid Walmart. Again, not everyone has that luxury.

I do like Meijer - used to shop there all the time!

But, sad to say, no. Wal-Mart is the only place I can purchase them. The Target the next town over doesn't sell groceries other than catsup and the like. We generally stick with the stores here in our town (unless I need nylons) or in the town where we have our nursing home services. Otherwise Meijer and Wal-Mart are too far to go weekly.

When we lived in OH, I would shop with my MIL at Meijers. Fond memories.

• Members

Actually, if we dug deeply enough every store would have a reason or three not to shop there. ;) Wal-Mart is the only store that sells the nylons I wear (and, no, I can't change brands for reasons into which I am not going to go). One of the stores in our town is part of a corporation owned by Mormons. Both stores sell booze and make a lot of room for it in their stores - as well as cigarettes and raunch magazines...Target is too expensive for our budget. K-Mart drives us crazy but sometimes we have no choice. And on and on the list could go. (please know I'm not slamming anyone who chooses not to shop in one store or another)

And yet, and yet...this country has been blessed with so much! What a plethora of stores from which to choose. One of these days, if the Lord tarries, we'll likely be looking back with nostalgia on all that was availble to us. God has been so good to all of us!

Not so for small town America. Actually because of Walmart in small town America you either buy at Walmart or drive to the big city, for now they be many things no longer available in small town America.

• Administrators

Not so for small town America. Actually because of Walmart in small town America you either buy at Walmart or drive to the big city, for now they be many things no longer available in small town America.

I live in a small town that has a larger city on three sides (the dunes and Lake Michigan are to the north of us). We have two grocery stores, a KMart, Walgreens, several convenience stores. No Wal-Mart - but there is one in each of the three cities around us. I agree that there are things that are no longer available in much of small town America and that's a shame. But there is still so much more than in most of the world! And I am truly thankful when I think of what other countries don't have - they can't even drive to the next town over if they need to shop.

• Members

The military is a cesspool for sin but in this regard, we do shine above our civilian counterparts. At least the Marine Corps does. If you are not dressed properly, you will be told to go home and get proper clothes on (yes, if you are civilian and on base you will be told to leave if you are not dressed appropriately).

• Members

Most of the businesses that were around here before Wal-Mart have been driven out of business. This small town is too small for any major stores and we only have a couple local stores left and their prices are typically to high to buy much there.

We have to drive at least 30 minutes to get to a town big enough for "major" stores and Wal-Mart dominates both. One town has a Target but they are more expensive and don't carry groceries. Both have a K-Mart but they have a limited selection of stuff and very limited grocery items. If we could afford to double our shopping budget we might be able to shop at one of the few remaining grocery stores, but we can't afford that.

Basically, it's Wal-Mart or nothing around here.

• Members

There is a difference some won't accept, between what we have to deal with in daily activities and that which we don't have to deal with unless we specifically put ourselves in those places.

True enough, we might encounter some immodestly dressed women when shopping, but shopping has to be done and at certain hours it's less likely to encounter such women. However, if we go to a crowded tourist beach we KNOW there are going to be many immodestly dressed women. Knowing this, why go there when we don't have to?

I've heard Christians excuse going to bars by saying that people dress immodest elsewhere and there are people drinking booze in other places and they sometimes hear worldly music while shopping, so there is no prOBlem with going into a bar.

Separation is a very unpopular teaching from Scripture. This is why most churches don't teach upon this and many who do touch upon it teach a very watered down concept of separation, which amounts to very little separation at all.

Scripture commands that we are to be holy for He is holy.

I am so glad to see SOMEONE who has this viewpoint. Where are all the separated Christians nowadays? They are ridiculed for their antiquated viewpoints. Separation IS a Bible doctrine. We should not pick and choose the teachings that we will follow. It's all important or God would not have put the commands and principles there.
On that subject: honoring the Lord's day....we all know Sunday is coming...so why don't we prepare to worship instead of shop? Edited by nucreature

• Members

I am so glad to see SOMEONE who has this viewpoint. Where are all the separated Christians nowadays? They are ridiculed for their antiquated viewpoints. Separation IS a Bible doctrine. We should not pick and choose the teachings that we will follow. It's all important or God would not have put the commands and principles there.
On that subject: honoring the Lord's day....we all know Sunday is coming...so why don't we prepare to worship instead of shop?

:amen: Following Christ isn't popular today among most professing Christians. They want to be able to say Jesus is their Saviour but they don't want to have Him as their Lord. Separation is either ignored or spoken of in a bad manner among most Christians today. Pastors don't preach the biblical truth of this because they don't want to live it or they don't want to offend their congregations which they know prefer being yoked to the world.

Indeed, how much more do we prepare for shopping, vacations and other things as compared to how much we prepare for Sunday worship! As our pastor recently pointed out, for many professing Christians attending church on Sunday is just something to check off their "to do" list.

Separation is taught throughout Scripture. OBeying the Word of God in all things is taught throughout Scripture. Many professing Christians want nothing to do with either and become defensive and "offended" when such is brought up.

Psalm 1:1-3

1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

• Members

Most of the businesses that were around here before Wal-Mart have been driven out of business. This small town is too small for any major stores and we only have a couple local stores left and their prices are typically to high to buy much there.

We have to drive at least 30 minutes to get to a town big enough for "major" stores and Wal-Mart dominates both. One town has a Target but they are more expensive and don't carry groceries. Both have a K-Mart but they have a limited selection of stuff and very limited grocery items. If we could afford to double our shopping budget we might be able to shop at one of the few remaining grocery stores, but we can't afford that.

Basically, it's Wal-Mart or nothing around here.

Our drive would me about one hour, or about 50 miles one way. In a way Walmart has cause many people around this area an inconvenience when they need certain items.